Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A lesson in powerlessness and letting go

markdohle

A lesson in powerlessness and letting go

Six weeks ago I was talking to a long time friend.  He is in AA, has been for many years, and yet still struggles.  Perhaps one reason I respect the 12 steps is not because of those who succeed, though it is part of it of course.  No, the main reason is because of those who don’t, yet still begin again.  I think it would be difficult and take a great deal of humility to go in front of a group and once again take the white chip.  Yet my friend does, and continues on.  He understands beginning again, not giving up and he told me that he understands the meaning of grace on ever deeper levels as he gets older.  The grace and understanding from his group, the listening that he receives and his love of the 5th step that he has done more than most.  His wife loves him and tells me that he is a better man.  When he falls, he gets back up and begins again, and his times of sobriety are getting longer as time moves on.  He understand his need to stay close to his “higher power”, and tells me for him it is a slow process, but each day is a new beginning, each failure another test in trust of God and of the men and women in his home group.  People in 12 steps programs are no different than anyone else.  Each man and woman unique in their journey towards health and communion with God; or as AA calls it, their trust in their ‘Higher Power”.

It is absolutely phenomenal how important it is to trust in something that exists beyond yourself.  Far too many people are unintentionally caught up believing they are the center of it all, the only singular entity, all that truly must, or can, matter.  Believing that something exists beyond self is a far more difficult thing than a lot of people realize.  I think this is partially why some mystics have become naturally attuned to understanding "that which is divine."  There exists a point in the human journey that some pass unnoticeable, some stumble over and some hit a brick wall which is, in it's most simple roots, believing that something exists but is not implied.  It's all too easy to see why the existence of such divine things as God is shunned for it is not something that is implied.  When one is at the right juncture it becomes a matter of a basic intellectual leap akin to induction, however when one is not it is shunned for it is not obviously implied.  In this respect there is a tremendous amount of fear generated of being powerless.  Being without.  Being alone.  There is much need that exists.

I know that transition through these things tend to start in trust.  At some point it becomes a knowing.  Do you believe that learning to let go of God is an additional lesson also?  It's a completely different avenue of progress however it tackles the same issues of powerlessness if you think about it carefully enough I think.

• Like 1

While we often hear of these positive spiritually uplifting stories. What about the other half? That lost faith because they realized they were on their own.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PsiSeeker said:

It is absolutely phenomenal how important it is to trust in something that exists beyond yourself.  Far too many people are unintentionally caught up believing they are the center of it all, the only singular entity, all that truly must, or can, matter.  Believing that something exists beyond self is a far more difficult thing than a lot of people realize.  I think this is partially why some mystics have become naturally attuned to understanding "that which is divine."  There exists a point in the human journey that some pass unnoticeable, some stumble over and some hit a brick wall which is, in it's most simple roots, believing that something exists but is not implied.  It's all too easy to see why the existence of such divine things as God is shunned for it is not something that is implied.  When one is at the right juncture it becomes a matter of a basic intellectual leap akin to induction, however when one is not it is shunned for it is not obviously implied.  In this respect there is a tremendous amount of fear generated of being powerless.  Being without.  Being alone.  There is much need that exists.

I know that transition through these things tend to start in trust.  At some point it becomes a knowing.  Do you believe that learning to let go of God is an additional lesson also?  It's a completely different avenue of progress however it tackles the same issues of powerlessness if you think about it carefully enough I think.

I believe that powerlessness is a paradox that must be learned.....you really said a lot here, much better than I ever could....thank you.

peace
mark

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

While we often hear of these positive spiritually uplifting stories. What about the other half? That lost faith because they realized they were on their own.

Not sure.  I have always chosen to believe and trust in God, then when I get out on the other side, I find myself in a different place with deeper faith and trust.  We choose to believe or not, neither easy choices I believe.  There are no easy choices, the ones that seem easy bring forth the most pain. 

I do not believe that is faith is just a subjective experience or choice.  Jesus Christ for me is the revelation of the Father to the world, and again, we have the resurrection which the New Testament is written to show that.  I know you don't believe that my friend so I understand your search a bit.

How other people act does not dictate to me my faith.  I expect people to fail, fall, be petty etc.....since I can be that way as well.

Peace
Mark

Edited by markdohle
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I believe that we all are powerful, yet many deny the responsibility of it.

I like this approach.  I think that for some it is a discovery to be had rather than something to be denied.  I haven't considered that some would deny the responsibility after discovery.  For some reason I am intuitively inclined to believe that everyone desires power in one form or another.  My thinking now is that the lack of power isn't any more or less than the having of power.  The problem in this regard has to do with imposition of will I think.  Anyway, probably has something to do with gain and loss I guess.  If  I can't gain by being powerful then I will deny responsibility for it.  If I can gain then I'll accept it.  Now it's a matter of selfishness, however what's wrong with being selfish necessarily?

16 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I'm wondering if the realization that you are on your own is necessarily indicative of a loss of faith.  What if learning to let go of God is just as important as learning to let go as far as being powerless is concerned.  My thinking is that perhaps the journey some take in absolute solitude is not something that necessarily has any more or less faith than a journey taken with the divine.

• Like 2