Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Syrian Refugees Celebrate Canada Day in Style

Thanato

It's good to see a positive face to the refugees.  I've seen plenty of the other kind.

• Like 2

Seems like the Canadians handled the Syrian refugee problem quite well and did all of their due diligence in vetting their applications and getting them over quickly and safely.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clair said:

Seems like the Canadians handled the Syrian refugee problem quite well and did all of their due diligence in vetting their applications and getting them over quickly and safely.

While I'm happy to see a positive story about true refugees being helped to a better life, I think it might be a tad early to assume that much.  It's far too early to know that for sure.  I agree that Canada seems to have a MUCH better handle on it than we do here in the US.  I live in coastal Alabama and the Federal government has recently told my community that we WILL accept hundreds of "unaccompanied children" into our community.  We live nearly a couple of long unused Navy facilities that were basically emergency landing strips.  These "children" are 14-20 years old and we've been told that facilities for housing and education will all be on-site.  Unless these facilities are to be a concentration camp of sorts then these young people WILL become part of our community.  Hopefully they will assimilate and become productive members of our tiny community.  Our problem here isn't xenophobia, we have a large Hispanic community that began 50 years ago.  The problem is being TOLD what we WILL do.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, and then said:

While I'm happy to see a positive story about true refugees being helped to a better life, I think it might be a tad early to assume that much.  It's far too early to know that for sure.  I agree that Canada seems to have a MUCH better handle on it than we do here in the US.  I live in coastal Alabama and the Federal government has recently told my community that we WILL accept hundreds of "unaccompanied children" into our community.  We live nearly a couple of long unused Navy facilities that were basically emergency landing strips.  These "children" are 14-20 years old and we've been told that facilities for housing and education will all be on-site.  Unless these facilities are to be a concentration camp of sorts then these young people WILL become part of our community.  Hopefully they will assimilate and become productive members of our tiny community.  Our problem here isn't xenophobia, we have a large Hispanic community that began 50 years ago.  The problem is being TOLD what we WILL do.

And then, how many children do you think that will come? It is hard work, so good luck to your  community. 

• Like 1

Waaiiit. Muslims ''cannot intergrate''. Or so we are told. How could this be?

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

While I'm happy to see a positive story about true refugees being helped to a better life, I think it might be a tad early to assume that much.  It's far too early to know that for sure.  I agree that Canada seems to have a MUCH better handle on it than we do here in the US.  I live in coastal Alabama and the Federal government has recently told my community that we WILL accept hundreds of "unaccompanied children" into our community.

Unaccompanied children? Then what? Who will take them in? From what I've read, Canada seems to have taken in families who have sponsors in Canada (such as relatives, community organizations, etc), and that these sponsors have made arrangements for housing, etc. That to me makes more sense as they have proper homes and support groups to help them integrate and get established. Camps like the one in your area are not a good idea in my opinion.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Clair said:

Unaccompanied children? Then what? Who will take them in? From what I've read, Canada seems to have taken in families who have sponsors in Canada (such as relatives, community organizations, etc), and that these sponsors have made arrangements for housing, etc. That to me makes more sense as they have proper homes and support groups to help them integrate and get established. Camps like the one in your area are not a good idea in my opinion.

This kind of attitude will only result in you being labeled a bigot. We must not think of these things, or have a plan, before a crisis begins and the damage is done.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

This kind of attitude will only result in you being labeled a bigot. We must not think of these things, or have a plan, before a crisis begins and the damage is done.

But it's not an attitude. It's an approach that ensures the well-being and safety of both sides. On the one hand, you need to protect citizens from potential threats (terrorists or violent criminals, for example). On the other, you also need to provide the immigrants with a safe haven It is an act of practicality, not bigotry. One simply has to look at the crisis in many parts of Europe. Rapes, murders, theft, attacks, not just on citizens but also within the various camps. I mean who wants that?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Clair said:

Also vetted were the San Bernardino husband and wife team, the Boston Marathon bombers and the Chattanooga terrorist attack.

I've been a huge fan of multiculturalism my whole life. The actions, as of late, have planted a seed of defensiveness in my mind I wish I could have stayed innocent of.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Also vetted were the San Bernardino husband and wife team, the Boston Marathon bombers and the Chattanooga terrorist attack.

Yeah, I understand. It's hard isn't it, because there are decent families out there in need of help, and others not so decent. And then there are decent families that may at a later time become radicalized. And we all know how terrorists are taking advantage of the refugee crisis and using it as a means of getting entry to another country.

It's too bad the Syrian problem can't be taken care of so that people stay put.

• Like 3

"Swiss authorities recently denied citizenship to a pair of Muslim sisters, 12 and 14, who refused to take part in their school's swimming lessons alongside boys of their age group in the city of Basel. According to USA Today, the girls had applied for citizenship a few months ago, but their request was denied this week." https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/07/01/europeans-are-now-fretting-about-muslim-girls-in-swimming-pools/?tid=sm_fb

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Clair said:

Yeah, I understand. It's hard isn't it, because there are decent families out there in need of help, and others not so decent. And then there are decent families that may at a later time become radicalized. And we all know how terrorists are taking advantage of the refugee crisis and using it as a means of getting entry to another country.

It's too bad the Syrian problem can't be taken care of so that people stay put.

I can't help but look at it from my experience. We have owned a welding business, near a homeless shelter, for about 30 years. I've lost count how many people, from all walks of life, we have given a job with paid on the job training. Maybe 10% of them have been honest, hardworking and worked for more than a week.

Slowly but surely I have become more cynical over the years. I doubt if there would be any higher a percentage of honest, hardworking people immigrating from other countries. I have worked with people from all over the world.

They need a sponsor and a plan for their future.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I can't help but look at it from my experience. We have owned a welding business, near a homeless shelter, for about 30 years. I've lost count how many people, from all walks of life, we have given a job with paid on the job training. Maybe 10% of them have been honest, hardworking and worked for more than a week.

Slowly but surely I have become more cynical over the years. I doubt if there would be any higher a percentage of honest, hardworking people immigrating from other countries. I have worked with people from all over the world.

They need a sponsor and a plan for their future.

A little confused by your wording. Do you mean you mean you gave jobs to the people in the homeless shelter? 

27 minutes ago, philly said:

"Swiss authorities recently denied citizenship to a pair of Muslim sisters, 12 and 14, who refused to take part in their school's swimming lessons alongside boys of their age group in the city of Basel. According to USA Today, the girls had applied for citizenship a few months ago, but their request was denied this week." https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/07/01/europeans-are-now-fretting-about-muslim-girls-in-swimming-pools/?tid=sm_fb

I think that part of the difficulty is that a lot of places taking in refugees have established customs and cultures, so when a sizeable influx of migrants with extremely different cultures/values/religious beliefs/etc., pours in, it's not surprising that there will be conflict. Adapt or get out will probably be the norm in a lot of places, because given the tensions, the violence, etc., I suspect that people will only compromise so much for 'outsiders.' Frankly I don't blame them. Ultimately you have to respect and adhere to the laws of the country you are in. If you cannot, then you need to find a place more suitable to your beliefs.

• Like 2

Just now, spartan max2 said:

A little confused by your wording. Do you mean you mean you gave jobs to the people in the homeless shelter? 

Yes, I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. We would even provide transportation, which often meant making them get out of bed after a wild night out. We lost money every time we, or someone else on the payroll, transported them. The homeless shelter is less than a mile away. We started paying some of them by the day because they would blow every dime they made, during the week, partying over the weekend. Then they would ask for a loan from their paycheck next week on Monday, cuz they can't pay child support. We gave one guy a bicycle, security chain and lock to get back and forth. He didn't have it a week later.

I'm usually a pretty good judge of character, but some of these people have this down to a fine art. My husband used to be an old softy, but not anymore.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Possibly. But then countries like the US and Canada were built by hard working immigrants.. There will always be immigrants who don't do as well, either by choice or circumstances, but others will take advantage of the opportunities and work hard to support themselves and their families. But I can see how your experience has made you a little cynical. It's frustrating to present people with an opportunity, only to have them take the easy way out. And when the way out is easy.. well then... there you have it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Clair said:

Possibly. But then countries like the US and Canada were built by hard working immigrants.. There will always be immigrants who don't do as well, either by choice or circumstances, but others will take advantage of the opportunities and work hard to support themselves and their families. But I can see how your experience has made you a little cynical. It's frustrating to present people with an opportunity, only to have them take the easy way out. And when the way out is easy.. well then... there you have it.

The key word is hard working. There were no government benefits to fall back on in those days. More people had pride. They were embarrassed to admit they needed a little help every now and then.

At least that was the trademark of my Irish family.:lol:

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Michelle said:

The key word is hard working. There were no government benefits to fall back on in those days. More people had pride. They were embarrassed to admit they needed a little help every now and then.

I agree. That indeed was the mentality, especially with the post-war European immigrants.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Clair said:

I agree. That indeed was the mentality, especially with the post-war European immigrants.

I'm not sure which war you are talking about, but you agreed with me. :lol:

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I'm not sure which war you are talking about, but you agreed with me. :lol:

Post WWII as that's the time most of our grandparents/parents arrived and hence the era we've been most influenced by. And yeah, I agreed with you! :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clair said:

Only a small portion have sponsors. We brought in 25.000 refugees back in february from camps in Jordan and Lebannon that knew nothing whatsoever of Canada. They came here to start a new life and seized their opportunity. But I guess the difference between Canada and Europe is that we had the luxury to choose our refugees and properly screen them before they set foot on this land.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

Only a small portion have sponsors. We brought in 25.000 refugees back in february from camps in Jordan and Lebannon that knew nothing whatsoever of Canada. They came here to start a new life and seized their opportunity. But I guess the difference between Canada and Europe is that we had the luxury to choose our refugees and properly screen them before they set foot on this land.

True that. Pick them first, vet them. I'm sure that we''ll have another good crop of Canadians.

We grow like weeds. Happy weeds.

Happy Canada Day, my mongrel compatriots.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

True that. Pick them first, vet them. I'm sure that we''ll have another good crop of Canadians.

We grow like weeds. Happy weeds.

Happy Canada Day, my mongrel compatriots.

The use of the word "mongrel" has negative connotations.  You ought to know that Syrians are Caucasians and just as white as are Italians.  The difference is religion, and I think most, if treated well, will do fine.

5 hours ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

I thought they all had sponsors (private and local community groups). But yeah you're right. The government sponsored those who did not have such sponsors. Thanks for the clarification.