Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Plants are very good at making decisions

UM-Bot

If plants could scream...

5 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

:)

Not sure what I'm seeing here...

If plants could scream, what would a forest fire sound like?
What would the Amazon sound like?

Edited by Dark_Grey

3 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Not sure what I'm seeing here...

If plants could scream, what would a forest fire sound like?
What would the Amazon sound like?

...probably plants making a sound.

The Amazon would sound like.....screaming jungle!

My entire garden suicided itself rather than letting me farm it.

That probably speaks volumes about me.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bubblykiss said:

My entire garden suicided itself rather than letting me farm it.

That probably speaks volumes about me.

"Don't get too down on yourself"
..is what I wrote 5min ago, trying to make a joke out of it. Sorry mate - maybe stick to plastic shrubbery?:unsure:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, universal skeptic said:

Plants are smarter than people.

Tell that to the ones that won't get out of the way of my mower.  Hell, at least the insects are capable of that.

• Like 1

I'd be willing to gamble there are plants smarter then some of the people I've seen on the Price Is Right over the years.

Even the plants are smarter than me now... It's not looking good

I don't understand how the plants are making a choice? The roots grow better on the side with more nutrients, I would think that would be a given. I don't understand the study,    Maybe I am not reading it right.

I was hoping it was something I could send off to my vegan friends, but that might be more trouble than it is worth.  Wouldn't want them to starve to death.  

• Like 1

Maybe we should vote for the ficus. 

4 hours ago, GreenmansGod said:

I don't understand how the plants are making a choice? The roots grow better on the side with more nutrients, I would think that would be a given. I don't understand the study,    Maybe I am not reading it right.

I was hoping it was something I could send off to my vegan friends, but that might be more trouble than it is worth.  Wouldn't want them to starve to death.  

I think I am reading it the same as you.

I can not understand how they can compare the plant to a game show contestant, it is not similar, as the game show contestant is = taking a chance, the plant is not. If there are more nutrients in the other pot, it is not taking a chance because it has less to lose, it is taking the better option because other wise it could everything to lose. 

I would not put this down to taking a chance, i would put it down to its natural survival instinct.

If the game shop contestant loses, they do not wilt and die, they just lose the prize they were gambling for = the plants are not so lucky.

This behavior is similar to the way a game show contestant might choose to gamble a low prize for the chance to win a higher prize because they wouldn't really have much to lose. - See more at: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/296374/plants-are-very-good-at-making-decisions#sthash.3ktI9gnj.dpuf