Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Incredibly rare 'ghost fish' filmed alive

jethrofloyd

Incredibly rare 'ghost fish' filmed alive for first time 2km down in depths of Pacific Ocean

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/incredibly-rare-ghost-fish-filmed-8351082

An incredibly rare 'ghost fish' has been seen alive for the first time ever.

The ethereal deep ocean dweller, measuring just 10cm long, has never before been spotted by researchers, let alone caught on camera.

It lives in the murky depths of the sea - 2km below the surface. The odd-looking fish is pale, with almost translucent skin and bulbous, glowing eyes.

It is thought to belong to the Aphyonidae family.

• Like 3

It's so cute! Up until now they've only seen dead ones, so no wonder they were exited to see one swimming around.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TopToffee said:

We need Derek Acorah now to become possessed by this Ghostly Fish..!

You are soooooo wrong for that! :P

• Like 1

I am always fascinated by deep sea life. It seems almost every trip down to the dark zones yields at least a few new unknown species, or sees ones barely known to science. 

If life exists on Europa or Enceladus I hope I live long enough to see what lurks beneath the ice. If not, there are plenty of alien species in our own oceans to fascinate for years to come. 

• Like 3

It probably is completely blind and has no idea it is being watched. Makes me wonder what might be watching me that I have no idea of. Probably just the boss.....

• Like 1