Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Secret World of Primeval Rivers

Mario Dantas

rivers-beneath-greenland-glacier.jpg?int

A secret network of rivers was recently discovered beneath the Jakobsvahn Isbrae glacier in Greenland. The primeval river network is mostly dry, but water may still flow through the riverbeds along the margins of the ice, researchers believe.

Credit: Cooper et al, 2016

http://www.livescience.com/55286-rivers-beneath-greenland-ice-sheet-discovered.html

Edited by Mario Dantas
  • Like 1

Screenshot%2Bfrom%2B2014-06-17%2B22%253A

• Like 1

rifha9wmkp6egvs8lr6k.jpg

Edited by Mario Dantas

IT IS SAID THAT THESE STREIGHTS WERE FORMERLY PASSABLE BUT NOW THEY ARE SHUT UP WITH ICE.

Some of its most massive channels were up to 4,500 feet (1,400 meters) deep and seven miles (12 km) wide. Incredibly, these gashes in the landscape were larger than the “megacanyon” discovered just a few months ago.

This wasn’t just some piddly river system. About 3.5 million years ago, for about 2.3 million years, water was pouring into Greenland along its eastern edges. The drainage point was pinpointed along the west coast just south of 70°N. Over time, the rushing waters carved deep V-shaped channels across the landmass. Eventually, the climate cooled yet again, and the Jakobshavn Glacier emerged, obscuring the remnants of this once mighty river system.

http://gizmodo.com/remnants-of-ancient-river-network-lie-hidden-beneath-gr-1782749961

Edited by Mario Dantas

British geophysicists have discovered evidence of an ancient drainage network buried beneath Greenland’s ice sheet that once extended across nearly a fifth of its total surface. Some of the channels within this system were about a mile deep and over seven miles wide.

This drainage basin was approximately 450,000 km2 and accounted for about 20 percent of Greenland’s total land area. The basin’s watershed was mostly smooth and low in elevation, but it also included some mountainous terrain on its eastern edge. From top to bottom, the drainage system’s total elevation range reached 3,382 meters, which is two miles.

http://gizmodo.com/remnants-of-ancient-river-network-lie-hidden-beneath-gr-1782749961

Hello!

I guess this begs the question as of how could people know that there was a river passage through Greenland, in the first place?

And... maybe this is the largest river system in the world? The Greenland canyon also surpasses the Grand canyon by far in extension. The whole river network gather in the center of the island, does this sound familiar?

M

23 minutes ago, Mario Dantas said:

. The whole river network gather in the center of the island, does this sound familiar?

M

According to the information you posted, umm no it doesn't gather in the middle. It seems to run from one side to the other and crisscross every so often.

That does not match Plato's account of Mu, Lemuria, Pacificis, or any other island located elsewhere...

15 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

According to the information you posted, umm no it doesn't gather in the middle. It seems to run from one side to the other and crisscross every so often.

That does not match Plato's account of Mu, Lemuria, Pacificis, or any other island located elsewhere...

......and happened millions of years in the past with the island starting to freeze over around 3 million years ago well before HSS evolved.

Great. Another thread where Mario can't or won't actually read what he posts, makes an argument that has nothing to do with the data he presents, and then won't respond to the people who point out those obvious facts. 

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

Actually as he is just posting dull stuff why not discuss another aspect of Greenland - lost Norse settlements on the East coast that are still hidden?

O5MNdKI.jpg

This book I believe which speaks about this subject  is just a bit above the threads present level of scientific literacy

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Actually as he is just posting dull stuff why not discuss another aspect of Greenland - lost Norse settlements on the East coast that are still hidden?

I would be more interested in how these glaciated river systems may hold fossilized clues about flora and fauna for the relevant time period (2-3 million years before Plato's Greenland) :D

Or are you making the assertion the Norse are descendent from the Few Atlantean survivors of the cataclysm which struck that particular allegory?

Edited by Jarocal
to say "vote KMT2016"
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanslune said:

O5MNdKI.jpg

This book I believe which speaks about this subject  is just a bit above the threads present level of scientific literacy

And infinitely more entertaining. I used to read Doc Savage in my younger days.

cormac

1 hour ago, Hanslune said:

O5MNdKI.jpg

But still not factual like Plato's account of Atlantis or Cayce's later revelations through channeling...*stifles giggle*

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mario Dantas said:
rivers-beneath-greenland-glacier.jpg?int

A secret network of rivers was recently discovered beneath the Jakobsvahn Isbrae glacier in Greenland. The primeval river network is mostly dry, but water may still flow through the riverbeds along the margins of the ice, researchers believe.

Credit: Cooper et al, 2016

http://www.livescience.com/55286-rivers-beneath-greenland-ice-sheet-discovered.html

Who built the dam @ 69N 48W  ?   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cormac mac airt said:

And infinitely more entertaining. I used to read Doc Savage in my younger days.

cormac

All right thinking people did - that and Hornblower.

34 minutes ago, back to earth said:

SHHHSSSSSH. you aren't suppose to see that dude,

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, back to earth said:

image.jpeg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Dam aliens....pun intended....

• Like 4

I wasn't aware that Plato penned his Atlantis allegory over two million years ago. He must've had one helluva long life.

------------------------------------------------------

Mario, why are we at this again? You're rehashing a personal agenda of yours that has already been thoroughly and definitively debunked at UM. Scientifically speaking, of course, it never had a leg to stand on. The links you yourself post patently disprove your personal agenda. As they already have,many times.

I'll give this some breathing room for the time being, although I won't be surprised if I or another Mod will need to close it (like several other threads of yours in the past).

A sincere word of advice, Mario. Even if it comes across as rough to hear, you're not really interested in receiving and considering feedback from the highly intelligent posters who bother to contribute to your threads. So why not take it to a blog...where you can type all you want and not be bothered by feedback?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mario Dantas said:

IT IS SAID THAT THESE STREIGHTS WERE FORMERLY PASSABLE BUT NOW THEY ARE SHUT UP WITH ICE.

Wait ! .... does that say  Groanland ?  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, back to earth said:

Wait ! .... does that say  Groanland ?  

It's where we all went when we say who the OP was.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mario Dantas said:

That is a 1747 map based on Egede's descriptions and misconceptions

16 hours ago, back to earth said:

Highly evolved ancient beavers of Atlantis of course.

• Like 2

Young beavers are preferable, but ancient ones know all the tricks.

Harte

• The topic was locked