Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australian Federal Election 2016

Black Red Devil

What, no thread on the 2016 Australian Federal Election??!!  :huh:  No one cares what happens Downunder. :P

In summary: Voting took place on Saturday 2nd July.  The Liberal Government won the previous elections in a landslide and was expected to at least win comfortably these elections.  The results are so close we may not be able to form a Govt for weeks.  Currently the Liberals (Right Wing) are in front by 71 seats against Labor's (Left Wing) 67 seats.  A Party needs 76 seats to form a majority Govt otherwise we end up having a Hung Parliament in which case a Minority Govt is formed by alliances with minor Party's that won seats in Parliament.  Basically you end up with three years (elections take place every 3 years ca) of squabbles and blocked proposals.

These are the seats still in doubt:

• Chisholm, Victoria — Liberal ahead

• Cowan, Western Australia — Labor ahead

• Capricornia, Queensland — Labor ahead

• Forde, Queensland — Labor ahead

• Gilmore, NSW — Liberal ahead

• Herbert, Queensland — Labor ahead

• Hindmarsh, South Australia — Labor ahead

The current PM and Liberal Leader, Malcolm Turnbull, is confident his Party will retain Parliament with a majority Govt.  Dunno, 71 plus 2 doubtful seats where Liberals are ahead makes 73 in my calculations.  Three short.

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Like 4

Don't forget the big winner, Pauline Hanson. :o :wacko:  We are in for a period of torment, imo !

• Like 4

Really don't want Turnbull again, I'm shocked his party is doing well since they apparently want to make Medicare private. It's surprised me it's taking so long to get the votes counted. My thoughts are at the end of the day no pollie will ever do everything they say they will to fix the problems. It is annoying how out of touch they are, they have no idea how hard it is for the working class people 

• Like 2

actually I am rather enjoying this.

This whole election has really shaking up both major parties to how much people are fed up with them both.

Prediction.. Next election.. team nick will come back bigger with a couple of candidates in each state to vote for.

• Like 3

It is true, no one cares. I am in Aus and I don't care. Though Derryn Hinch will make for some good sound bites I assume. 

I am in the Territory now days and no one cares about us. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

... having a Hung Parliament ...

would suit Jackie Lambie

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mangoze said:

would suit Jackie Lambie

Haha, I heard Amanda Vanstone allude to Lambie's notorious " I am looking for a well-hung guy " line in election night commentary. All class.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mangoze said:

would suit Jackie Lambie

Haha classic.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DingoLingo said:

actually I am rather enjoying this.

This whole election has really shaking up both major parties to how much people are fed up with them both.

Prediction.. Next election.. team nick will come back bigger with a couple of candidates in each state to vote for.

I have been thinking the same thing, a lot of hoo ha over Medicare, but nobody has actually stated if privatisation would be better or worse for Medicare. Either way, if that proposal every gets up again, I hope we will get a clearer outline as to what is expected from privatisation. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I have been thinking the same thing, a lot of hoo ha over Medicare, but nobody has actually stated if privatisation would be better or worse for Medicare. Either way, if that proposal every gets up again, I hope we will get a clearer outline as to what is expected from privatisation. 

The hoo ha over Medicare is well justified IMO. The coalition got caught trying to privatise Medicare. Turnbul should have taken a leaf outta Howard's playbook and never gone anywhere near it. 

5 minutes ago, Leto_loves_melange said:

The hoo ha over Medicare is well justified IMO. The coalition got caught trying to privatise Medicare. Turnbul should have taken a leaf outta Howard's playbook and never gone anywhere near it. 

Not quite, Labour lied to the people, which is a huge No No with the Mediscare text. They deserve to lose for that alone.

If Medicare was privatised, it would be subcontracted to the Government, which means employees have to give a crap about their jobs and even earn their wages. What do you see as the major disadvantages to a privatised scheme? We are already encouraged to seek out private Health Cover as it is, and the Government offers tax benefits there, is that not already a first step towards privatisation? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Not quite, Labour lied to the people, which is a huge No No with the Mediscare text. They deserve to lose for that alone.

If Medicare was privatised, it would be subcontracted to the Government, which means employees have to give a crap about their jobs and even earn their wages. What do you see as the major disadvantages to a privatised scheme? We are already encouraged to seek out private Health Cover as it is, and the Government offers tax benefits there, is that not already a first step towards privatisation? 

I think we're on different sides of politics. That's ok. I have private health insurance too but i believe that medicare should never be touched to act as a safety net. Encouraging those that can have their own cover is imo not privatising but rather unburdening medicare. And as much as Turnbul claims that he had no intention to start privatising medicare you don't have feelers out to test the waters without having intentions to privatise it. 

Just curious as to why you think that Shorten and Labour lied. i have read the text (didn't receive it) on the net and it certainly isn't any deception.   

Edited by Leto_loves_melange

15 hours ago, Leto_loves_melange said:

I think we're on different sides of politics. That's ok. I have private health insurance too but i believe that medicare should never be touched to act as a safety net. Encouraging those that can have their own cover is imo not privatising but rather unburdening medicare. And as much as Turnbul claims that he had no intention to start privatising medicare you don't have feelers out to test the waters without having intentions to privatise it. 

Just curious as to why you think that Shorten and Labour lied. i have read the text (didn't receive it) on the net and it certainly isn't any deception.   

You, yourself, are using "Medicare" synonymously with "Public Health System".

Labor's Mediscare campaign was designed to evoke fear that Public Health Care will cease.

Labor's Mediscare campaign was dishonest.

If you're not being honest you are ...

I'm not much of a fan of Turnbul..but since I have never been a Labor voter....(and never will be) I am happy to suffer him.

Bill Shorten however.... simply makes me want to puke.

I miss little Johnny....at least he had some integrity and practical intelligence.

• Like 1

"Little Johnny", aka "The Desiccated Coconut", would be wise to retire completely from the political scene, he said some very unflattering things about Xenophon during the campaign, which could potentially rebound with Nick supporting a Chilcott-like inquisition.

• Like 1

I always appreciate what John Howard has to say - and mostly he is always right.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mangoze said:

You, yourself, are using "Medicare" synonymously with "Public Health System".

Labor's Mediscare campaign was designed to evoke fear that Public Health Care will cease.

Labor's Mediscare campaign was dishonest.

If you're not being honest you are ...

I don't understand what you mean by "synonymously with public health system?"

...I guess there is no real proof either way as to Turnbull's intentions about medicare other than as a Liberal/Tory leader its in his DNA to privatise anything and everything he can lay his hands on. It was VERY politically risky to even mention medicare during an election not to mention naive so he has no one to blame but himself for Labour being better at politics.  

"If you're not being honest you are ..."  - Whats that mean?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Astra. said:

I always appreciate what John Howard has to say - and mostly he is always right.

He wasn't that right during the children overboard fiasco. Nor in dragging Australia into Bushes private and personal wars in the Middle East. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Habitat said:

"Little Johnny", aka "The Desiccated Coconut", would be wise to retire completely from the political scene, he said some very unflattering things about Xenophon during the campaign, which could potentially rebound with Nick supporting a Chilcott-like inquisition.

The "desiccated coconut" LOL...

Pity that the Lib's made it across the line and all...with the finding of the chilcot report soiling Blair in the UK Howard must have been thanking his lucky stars that a Labour government won't have its own inquiry. Howard's outta touch with Australia and Xenophon would do well to remember Howards remarks when next the Lib's come knocking on his door. 

7 minutes ago, Leto_loves_melange said:

The "desiccated coconut" LOL...

Pity that the Lib's made it across the line and all...with the finding of the chilcot report soiling Blair in the UK Howard must have been thanking his lucky stars that a Labour government won't have its own inquiry. Howard's outta touch with Australia and Xenophon would do well to remember Howards remarks when next the Lib's come knocking on his door. 

Howard is adopting a high public profile for a man who was tossed out of his own seat as PM, a rare feat.

• Like 1

Just now, Habitat said:

Howard is adopting a high public profile for a man who was tossed out of his own seat as PM, a rare feat.

Yeah mate its a rare feat indeed, i think he misses the limelight and generally sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. In some capacity i do believe that he's pulling the strings in the Liberal party acting as some type of "elder statesman" 

He is threatening to attract the epithet  "silly old bugger", I am sick of hearing how he got debt levels down, without also hearing that he sold every public asset that wasn't nailed down. I saw the list the other day, it is as long as your arm, and you are reminded of it every time you are charged an arm and a leg to park at an airport.

4 minutes ago, Habitat said:

He is threatening to attract the epithet  "silly old bugger", I am sick of hearing how he got debt levels down, without also hearing that he sold every public asset that wasn't nailed down. I saw the list the other day, it is as long as your arm, and you are reminded of it every time you are charged an arm and a leg to park at an airport.

Howard the 'silly old bugger' got levels down on a booming mining industry and introducing the GST. And just like Turnbul he privatised our industries to sell them off, sending jobs and profits overseas for his Goldman Sach's mates to get their dividend. Its a crying shame that the Liberal party has become nothing more than Wall Streets crony. They don't govern for Australians. 

2 hours ago, Leto_loves_melange said:

He wasn't that right during the children overboard fiasco. Nor in dragging Australia into Bushes private and personal wars in the Middle East. 

No he wasn't that right in some cases - hence why I said "mostly"....

Still IMO - John Howard was arguably Australia's most successful Prime Minister.

Aww - also...hope you aren't feeling a little bummed cos' the Lib's made it across the line ? :tu:

'Smile - and the whole world smiles with you' :)

walter1_jpg_c965f3ce7205d7527d62842fc4df

• Like 1