Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I feel that my family is cursed

Jay0989

Hello,

I really do not know how to say this eloquently but i will do my best.  I feel that my family has been going through a very difficult time for many years.  It feels like once something good is happening, there is a negative impact that takes it away. In 2003, my father died of cancer, then things got better and i flourished.  Now, my sister (who is a single mother) is facing a rare and aggressive form of cancer.  There is no cure.  It's funny that every time something major happens, I end up losing my job.  

Here is a timeline of events

1) 2002 - Lost my job at a department store - 2 months later, my father is diagnosed with cancer and passes away 8 months later

2) 2006 - Lost my job at a warehouse - 1 month later, my mother gets a back injury in which causes are to be bed ridden for 6 months

3) 2013 - My sister is diagnosed with cancer - in 2015 - my position was "abolished" and now my sister is getting worse 

I feel that i have awoken something in my sister.  She was one of the healthiest individuals ever.  However, I started speaking about our childhood.  She got very angry.  To add, her relationship with her daughter's father was horrendous.  

I truly feel that people are not happy for us, i feel that we are cursed and i want this to stop.  I want to close whatever door that was opened and do what it takes to save my family from experiencing this further.  

If anyone can help me or give me advice, i would love to hear it.  I am reaching out to anyone who either had a similar experience or anyone who has knowledge of curses and how to remove them.  I have tried everything from blessing our house, to bring salts to apologizing to any spirits that we have may offended.  I do not think i am doing the right thing.  I am so lost. 

Thank you very much,

Jason 

You're overthinking all this. Bad things happen to everyone. Sometimes it does feel as if you are cursed but truthfully you're not. Don't feed the thought of being cursed are it will lead you to a case of self-fulfilling prophecy. All I can tell you is to write a list of good and bad things going on in your life. Mark out those things you can not change and make the effort to change the things you can. 

• Like 4

Jason, there is no such thing as a curse. There really isn't. Nor are there any spirits to offend. As XenoFish mentioned, bad things happen to everyone. Things go great for a while and then out of nowhere, wham! That always seems to be the pattern. But hang in there and do the list as suggested. However, if you can't toss your belief in curses aside, then one of the most effective ways to get rid of negative energy apparently is to cleanse your home with sage. There are many articles online on how to best do this. Most important, however, is to try and maintain as positive an outlook as possible and to realize that everything that happens to us is simply part of life, and not a result of anything otherworldly.

Good luck with everything. I wish you and especially your sister all the best.

• Like 3

If you're thinking your family is cursed...then it is. 

*slaps*

Quit thinking that. 

• Like 4

Thank you so much for your replies.  I guess i am trying to find answers to the unexplained. Things have been very difficult and I will also become the guardian of my niece.  Everything is moving so fast.  You constantly ask the question "why", yet no one can answer.  

Thank you again to all, I truly appreciate it. 

• Like 2

There is no answer as to the "why". We live our existence "just because".

You didn't make any wrong decision. Stop beating yourself up over it.

Hoping things get better for you and yours.

• Like 2

Thank you....i guess I'm just I'm looking to save my sister's life.  We are extremely close.  She raised me actually.  You are right we do live our existence "just because" 

• Like 1

Far be it from me to pretend I have an answer.

I heard of a bit of wisdom a long time ago, it went; "There are no problems, only opportunities."

Take from that what you can, and I offer you a pat on the back.

• Like 1

Sigh.....  the longer you live the sorrow you live.  The balance is, the longer you live the more joy you live. You're not cursed. Cancer can have genetic factors the run in families, that is not a curse, it is DNA.  I am sorry for your hardship.  I been through some tough times myself, but you got face the wind and carry on. Your niece needs you to be strong, In between the bad that happen in your timeline there are some good times, too I bet.  

I dabble in witchcraft and it more psychology, than magic.  It changes your thinking.  When things are getting the best of me, I take paper and write down what I want out of my life, then I take another paper and write all the positive things I want in my life. I burn it the first paper and throw the ashes to the wind and while saying I give this my suffering to the earth.  I take the other paper and put it in a box.  When I need encouragement, I open the box and look at the paper think about what I have done manifest my goals.  It isn't magic, it is not going to fix everything, but it helps you focus on the positive.

• Like 3

I came on this site with a different way of thinking.  Now, I found nothing but positivity.  Thank you to all for taking out the time to help someone who have never met.  I am truly grateful.

• Like 2

Take heart that you are not alone and these happening as they do, are sadly quite common to most families.  You are not cursed.  You are living in a body, with a mind and a very complex social structure and a nearly infinitely varied biosphere.

In the last four years, I nearly died while having a very simple medical procedure and ended up having to have heart surgery.  My Father died out of the blue with no warning.  My Mother lost all semblance of her self and mental faculties, can no longer recognize anyone in our family and is now in assisted living, effectively a shell now, a blank human inhabiting the body that gave birth to me and taught me my alphabet and numbers.  My wife, after a sudden bloom of long repressed memories of horrible abuse at the hands of her parents, had a complete mental collapse, lost her job and tried to move into the desert by herself, forsaking her son and our 28 year marriage.  Those are just the highlights.  Two of my close friends had children under 10 die, lost jobs, houses and went bankrupt.

No curses though.  Just the freakishly sad and harsh hardships of life in a body and a mind.

In response to my events of tragedy, I changed my diet and lifestyle a bit and healed up avoiding the lifetime of multiple pharmaceuticals they wanted to foist on me and am now in excellent health.  I created a storyboard of my Father's work and life that is constantly evolving with various pictures of his life with us that occupies a prominent wall in my meditation room.  My wife has undertaken writing, meditating and long walks and is working with and through her memories while focusing on what is positive in her life.  She has weathered the worst of the storm and is now better than she ever could have imagined before the memories returned.  We are still together and our relationship with our 10 year old son is thriving and closer than before.  My Mother, there is nothing really positive there for any of us, as it's just pure pain to be denied her presence, but she also had a very abusive family and suffered much neglect and so I realize now that her ignorance and loss of sense of self is really for her, a benefit.  She has lost the memories of pain that for so long kept her a fearful prisoner in her mind.  So for her, it's a mercy really.

I used to be addicted to anger and worry.  I was easily drawn into its cycle by a thought that engendered and emotion, which would then reinforce a similar thought and this loop endured for 15+ years.  One day, I realized acutely and unshakably that I have only so much energy in any given day and moment.  I have embarked on a process of mindfully using my energy to promote the things I love, rather than hating what I dislike.

I have found that the greatest achievement in my life, was not an achievement, but a loss.

Loss of desire to punish.  Loss of taking the world personally.  Loss of the need to convince others, or change their reality tunnel.

Loss of that which is not me, resulting in a calm, authentic life focused on what I love.  And as a disclaimer, I don't hide my head in the sand and avoid all unpleasantness.  I sat there holding my friend after his son died.  I hold my wife in my arms when she is sobbing herself to sleep.  When I encounter the harsh **** in life, I do something when I can, but I do it, not out of opposition to what I hate.  I do it by reinforcing my natural love.

• Like 2