Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

ISIS brings down Russian chopper

seeder

4 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Woah.. wait.. doesn't "bis" imply a twin-seat trainer version ? Not an actual combat aircraft  ?

No, it's a add-on to denote an improved model or a newer series (not necessarily improved).  It's also used on some tanks, and it's not just a Russian thing, the French have used it as well, probably others.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, and then said:

America would certainly be blamed whether we supplied them or not.  

They wouldn't be blamed if they hadn't sided with the ''moderate rebels'' as did the Saudis, Qataries and Turks.

Edited by TruthSeeker_

2 minutes ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

They wouldn't be blamed if they hadn't sided with the ''moderate rebels'' as did the Saudis, Qataries and Turks.

And your point?  That the Russians wouldn't have a problem with us if we hadn't resisted their will in any way?  Not exactly a real world possibility now is it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, and then said:

And your point?  That the Russians wouldn't have a problem with us if we hadn't resisted their will in any way?  Not exactly a real world possibility now is it?

My point is that the US and it's regional allies have prolonged this conflict and created a mess by arming various rebels groups when it was clear from the start that the only moderate, sane and reasonable group were those fighting for the Syrian governement.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 1

But surely the  pro-Government forces where in the thrall of an Evil Dictator with Soviet Russian Sympathies ? :P

Edited by RoofGardener

There's something a bit odd about the video of this helicopter.

At about 8 seconds in, we see a flash underneath the helicopter, and what appears to be a small cloud of black smoke. (which falls 'backwards' as the helicopter moves forwards).

At first I thought the helicopter was firing rockets.. However, looking at it frame-by-frame, this doesn't appear to be the case, as there is no rocket going forwards.

This happens again about half-a-second later, and again another half-second later. Finally, a fraction of a second later there is a MUCH bigger flash... more of a flare/explosion... on the helicopters rear rotor, with a huge cloud of smoke, and bits visibly falling off the back of the helicopter. At this point.. and for the first time... it departs from level flight and is obviously in trouble. (it kinda looks like the rear rotor was destroyed).

So in total there where FOUR flashes, with the final one being much larger and doing visible damage.

What is really puzzling me is that at no point can I see anything approaching the helicopter. I would have expected a MANPAD-type missile to leave a smoke trail, and have a glowing rocket engine. Nothing like this is visible at any point in the run-up to those 'flashes'. Also, the final "flare/explosion" is MUCH bigger and brighter than the preceeding three 'flashes'. It has a completely different visual appearance.

Most odd !

6 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

What is really puzzling me is that at no point can I see anything approaching the helicopter. I would have expected a MANPAD-type missile to leave a smoke trail, and have a glowing rocket engine. Nothing like this is visible at any point in the run-up to those 'flashes'. Also, the final "flare/explosion" is MUCH bigger and brighter than the preceeding three 'flashes'. It has a completely different visual appearance.

Can you see this Manpad?

1 hour ago, seeder said:

Can you see this Manpad?

That was a hell of a shot for a manpad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seeder said:

Can you see this Manpad?

Oh GOSH yes....

It's not very obvious in the original video you posted, but I've put it through a Gaussian Filter algorithm, and applied some contrast boost... and if you look carefully... I think you can JUST see it ?

:D:D:D

In response to RG in post

9 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

At about 8 seconds in, we see a flash underneath the helicopter, and what appears to be a small cloud of black smoke. (which falls 'backwards' as the helicopter moves forwards).

At first I thought the helicopter was firing rockets.. However, looking at it frame-by-frame, this doesn't appear to be the case, as there is no rocket going forwards.

This happens again about half-a-second later, and again another half-second later. Finally, a fraction of a second later there is a MUCH bigger flash... more of a flare/explosion... on the helicopters rear rotor, with a huge cloud of smoke, and bits visibly falling off the back of the helicopter. At this point.. and for the first time... it departs from level flight and is obviously in trouble. (it kinda looks like the rear rotor was destroyed).

So in total there where FOUR flashes, with the final one being much larger and doing visible damage.

Most odd !

Modern rockets aren't as slow leaving the tubes as they used to be.  The flashes are about right for the helo launching weapons.  The tail being blown off is very odd for a manpad though.  They usually are heat seekers.  If a TOW WAS used, all I can say is it was one heck of a shot.

• Like 2

I don't think they where rocket launches, And Then; there was no sign of anything moving forwards from the helicopter, no smoke trails, and no rocket engine glow; just a brief flash. Still... who knows ?

What did you think of my 'filtered' video above, showing the manpad strike ?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, and then said:

In response to RG in post

Modern rockets aren't as slow leaving the tubes as they used to be.  The flashes are about right for the helo launching weapons.  The tail being blown off is very odd for a manpad though.  They usually are heat seekers.  If a TOW WAS used, all I can say is it was one heck of a shot.

Beside heat seeking sensor, SA-16 (IGLA-1) SAMs have induction sensors, triggering explosion when SAM flies near metallic surface.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

I don't think they where rocket launches, And Then; there was no sign of anything moving forwards from the helicopter, no smoke trails, and no rocket engine glow; just a brief flash. Still... who knows ?

What did you think of my 'filtered' video above, showing the manpad strike ?

It was a lucky hit since one fin was decidedly warped ;)

Also, just a thought but a US light anti tank weapon L.A.W. is a tube fired rocket that shows only a back blast.  It sounds very much like a massive shotgun going off but only in the movies do you see anything other than the strike on the target.  Maybe this pod has something similar.  Otherwise I'm clueless what we were seeing.  Such eruptions of light/gas would be accompanied by shrapnel had the craft been struck by a weapon or had small explosions occurring on board.

ROFL.... I go to all that trouble, and you quibble over one of the fins ?

Clearely, you are one of natures born Art Critics :P

<sulks>

• Like 1