Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pokémon GO or Pokémon NO?

BiffSplitkins

I see more and more people playing this game everyday. I can see the benefits of it making people more active and forcing people to 'visit' marked locations such as art hot spots in order to advance in the game but, there are also side effects. 

I just read a local news article about a someone who cracked their vehicle into a tree while playing this game. http://cnycentral.com/news/local/man-playing-pokemon-go-while-driving-crashes-into-tree-in-auburn

I also read another positive article where two marines that were playing inadvertently apprehended a wanted criminal. http://www.syracuse.com/us-news/index.ssf/2016/07/marines_playing_pokemon_go_nab_murder_suspect.html#incart_river_home

Feel free to post local news articles from your area about the pros or cons of this game. 

• Like 3

My wife plays.  Her cousins play.  Some of my friends with children play.  Therefore, by default, I grudgingly play.  I'm not a fan of Pokemon at all, but I am impressed with the technology and I'm now waiting patiently for a game that I would like to come out that's similar.

The game itself is harmless.  What people do with it can be a problem (playing while driving, trespassing, etc).

• Like 5

Who marks these locations?

• Like 1

I'm not sure how they did it, but I know that it involves Google Maps (at least on my Android).  Places of interest and places where more people would tend to congregate seem to have the highest concentrations of pokemon.  My property has none, which is good and bad.

....geez, I sound like I'm really into this game, don't I?

• Like 1

That's it, my curiosity is piqued. Where's a safe place to download this damn game? 

Apparently a woman went looking for Pokémon and a found a dead body.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-09/pokemon-go-player-discovers-dead-body/7583188

Wonder if she found a ghost type Pokémon.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Apparently a woman went looking for Pokémon and a found a dead body.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-09/pokemon-go-player-discovers-dead-body/7583188

Wonder if she found a ghost type Pokémon.

That would be quite ironic... LOL

• Like 1

My son loves it...it's hilarious to see a great big tough looking man (he's now 28) looking at his phone as he searches for cartoon critters!

• Like 9

The amount of people playing this game is amazing.  A co worker talked me into downloading it last Friday but I figured out in about two seconds that considering the amount I walk every day I'm one of the few people who would get less exercise from it so I deleted it.  I have walked into 2 different people while walking around the city at lunch Monday and Tuesday because people will come to a sudden stop to catch something.

• Like 3

Not in Singapore you don't :

Australian expat fired after calling Singapore a ‘s*** country’ for not having Pokemon GO

SINGAPORE — An Australian expat working for property site 99.co has been fired from his job after he called Singapore a “******* s*** country” on Facebook.

The man, Mr Sonny Truyen, was apparently upset that the game Pokemon GO was not yet available here.

“You can’t ******* catch Pokemon in this piece of ******* s*** country,” he wrote on Facebook.

• Like 6

A video game that gets people outta the house, instead of fattening them up like hogs for the slaughter?

I like the idea of people actually getting some exercise and moving around in general.

The first night it went live a couple of drunks wondered into my shop and asked if I had been catching a lot of pokemon in the parking lot. I just figured that they had been smoking something nasty and lost all touch with reality. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that they were just playing a video game.

• Like 7

13669069_10153625939291472_3872842393078

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

That's it, my curiosity is piqued. Where's a safe place to download this damn game? 

Try your app store.

My brother said his commander sent out a mass email on the base telling everyone to keep an eye out because kids keep trying to sneak on the base to catch Pokemon lol

• Like 3

As long as people are aware of some issues arising from the criminal element, it is great to see people out getting adventures.  What I have read is muggers watch to see where a lot of people are congregating in order to rob them.  Pedophiles are also watching to see if they can catch youngsters unawares. Again, watch the younger players and make sure they are safe.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

I'm not sure how they did it, but I know that it involves Google Maps (at least on my Android).  Places of interest and places where more people would tend to congregate seem to have the highest concentrations of pokemon.  My property has none, which is good and bad.

....geez, I sound like I'm really into this game, don't I?

It uses GPS positioning data I believe instead of wifi or other services that would use up all of your monthly data.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, glorybebe said:

As long as people are aware of some issues arising from the criminal element, it is great to see people out getting adventures.  What I have read is muggers watch to see where a lot of people are congregating in order to rob them.  Pedophiles are also watching to see if they can catch youngsters unawares. Again, watch the younger players and make sure they are safe.

Well, if I'm out and about, I'm definitely keeping an eye out and watching over any children around to help keep them safe.  Guess it's not a bad thing for a grown man to play this after all.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wickian said:

It uses GPS positioning data I believe instead of wifi or other services that would use up all of your monthly data.

Yes, I know that.  What I am a bit unclear is how they (the company) decided which areas to pick that had pokemon hanging out.

54 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Yes, I know that.  What I am a bit unclear is how they (the company) decided which areas to pick that had pokemon hanging out.

I'm pretty sure it's just algorithms and landmarks 

2 hours ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Here's an article on how businesses are purchasing 'lures' to draw people in. I wonder if a concentration of 'lures' will decide how many Pokemon are in an area?

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/3-ways-turn-pokemon-go-dough-your-business-dave-kerpen?trk=hp-feed-article-title-hpm

• Like 1

As I ran yesterday evening, I got many friendly waves from other people out running. I got many noses buried in phones/walking in front of me without looking from other people out playing Pokémon Go.

But...I might just be a curmudgeonly person who doesn't understand the youth (and who is not playing the game at this point out of sheer stubbornness).

• Like 1

I had a dream this morning that involved me catching "Pokemon." I wish I had a smartphone but I don't so I don't play.

I saw a group of people playing 'Pokémon Go' stuck on their phones. I thought they were a horde of zombies so I ran and hide.

• Like 3

I just came back from a bike ride through parkland, and there were several young people at different spots wandering around in circles while studying I-phones, this is crazy.

• Like 3