Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why true coincidences are hard to find

Still Waters

It would appear we cannot go for more than a few days in 2016 before there is another high-profile celebrity death or mass shooting reported somewhere. More recently, in the space of a fortnight Harambe the gorilla was killed for putting the life of a toddler in danger and an American alligator killed a two-year-old in Florida. And in the UK in little more than a week, the prime minister, leader of Ukip, England football team manager, the host of the BBC’s Top Gear and 63 key Labour figures all resigned.

But seemingly coincidental headlines, or spates of disasters are more likely to reflect how we consume news and save memories.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160708-why-true-coincidences-are-hard-to-find

• Like 3

I had a particularly odd coincidence happen to me about two years ago. Not sure if this is off topic, but anyway.

At the time this happened I was pretty much totally engrossed in one thing that was going on in my life. As such I spent the most part of my time thinking about it. 

This particular afternoon I'd gone shopping at my local supermarket. Whilst shopping I was completely preoccupied with the aforementioned issue. When suddenly I imagined myself explaining to someone, I don't remember if it was to anyone in particular or not, about Steller's sea ape. A pretty obscure topic. As it deals with a very doubtful creature, known from a single sighting by the 18thC German(?) naturalist Georg Steller, who gave his name to several species. Most famously, the giant Sirenian, Steller's sea cow. 

I finished shopping came home, put the shopping away etc. After which I went to my computer to check my e-mails. I had received a new one. Its title was, 'The sea-cow man, back in the limelight'.   

In the E-mail was this.

"A mention there of a putative beast, which -- unless age and alcohol-consumption are badly eroding my memory -- I don't recall hearing of before: something called Steller's Sea Ape"

The E-mail, came at 18:40,  while I was shopping and I estimate within five to ten minutes of the time the subject popped into my mind. 

Nothing strange, but quite a coincidence. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are coincidences a synchronicities :)  .... both  seem to exist  to make you think deeper.. further..  to wake you up..