Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia reveals hypersonic stealth bomber

seeder

Russia reveals hypersonic stealth bomber that can launch nuclear attacks from space: Radical plane could begin testing in 2020

Test model of craft known as PAK-DA could fly in 2020
    Hypersonic engine for the craft believed to have been already tested
    Would be able to travel anywhere in the world in two hours

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3689325/Russia-reveals-hypersonic-stealth-bomber-launch-nuclear-attacks-space-Radical-plane-begin-testing-2020.html

• Like 1

Travels the world in 2 hours and can launch nukes from space - designed and built under heavy economic sanctions with the world's boot on your neck. Russian innovation is no joke.

• Like 2

Heh, they can't go beyond PAK-FA prototypes, yet promising another DA... Too many grandiose projects with little outcome.

• Like 2

Advancements in duct tape must have been fairly impressive in Russia if they can get a ball of it holding together some scrap metal to allegedly move that fast.

• Like 2

Its unwise to underestimate the Russians abilities... they had first man in orbit, first space station etc....first man in 'deep space' ....that was way back in time too...

The Soviet space program pioneered many aspects of space exploration:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_space_program#Notable_firsts

• Like 3

The PAK-FA might be real but the hypersonic drive, capable for 20Kkm/h is DM fantasy.

49 minutes ago, seeder said:

Its unwise to underestimate the Russians abilities... they had first man in orbit, first space station etc....first man in 'deep space' ....that was way back in time too...

I'm not underestimating their capabilities.  I'm mocking them.  Their claims tend to be more fantasy than fact.  Not North Korean or Iranian fantasy, but still fantasy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, seeder said:

What about America's firsts? It seems like most of what we "innovated" was lifted from German or Russian technology.

1 hour ago, toast said:

The PAK-FA might be real but the hypersonic drive, capable for 20Kkm/h is DM fantasy.

Nope. The same "will be able to travel anywhere in the world in 1-2 hours" comes from Russian sources as well.

Another thing, engine (working prototype) "will" be built by 2020 (RIA, in Russian), not aircraft. It seems to me, Russian military bosses had few bottles of vodka too much, so their claims about engine already being tested are bit overexaggerated. 

Edited by bmk1245
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Clair said:

Meh, that's just their way of compensating for their small you know whats. I'll believe it when I see it.

Russia is ranked second strongest military in the world....and some say they have rust buckets?  :lol:

http://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-listing.asp

Edited by seeder

41 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Nope. The same "will be able to travel anywhere in the world in 1-2 hours" comes from Russian sources as well.

Another thing, engine (working prototype) "will" be built by 2020 (RIA, in Russian), not aircraft. It seems to me, Russian military bosses had few bottles of vodka too much, so their claims about engine already being tested are bit overexaggerated. 

From the article:

Colonel-General Sergei Karakayev, commander of Russian Strategic Missile Forces, confirmed the model engine for the bomber has been built and successfully tested at the Serpukhovo branch of the Military Academy. 

Is that different than the working prototype you are referring to? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

From the article:

Colonel-General Sergei Karakayev, commander of Russian Strategic Missile Forces, confirmed the model engine for the bomber has been built and successfully tested at the Serpukhovo branch of the Military Academy. 

Is that different than the working prototype you are referring to? 

Thats in contradiction of what another guy (one of the designers) Aleksey Solodovnikov stated (from RIA link already posted earlier), that actual building will start in 2018, with plans to finish in 2020. In my understanding, all they have is small model, or just design/concept (computer model/drawing on the paper).

Anyway, we'll see what will be presented on expo Army-2016.

Just now, bmk1245 said:

Thats in contradiction of what another guy (one of the designers) Aleksey Solodovnikov stated (from RIA link already posted earlier), that actual building will start in 2018, with plans to finish in 2020. In my understanding, all they have is small model, or just design/concept (computer model/drawing on the paper).

Anyway, we'll see what will be presented on expo Army-2016.

I know it kinda seemed combative but my post was an honest question, i thought perhaps there was some engineering lingo which I was confused about. 

Russia scares the hell outta me. A proud and violent nation will not live under the boot of oppression for long and...well....we're the oppressors and the aggressors in this relationship. 

1 hour ago, seeder said:

Russia is ranked second strongest military in the world....and some say they have rust buckets?  :lol:

I never said they had rust buckets. I'm also fully aware of their military strength. But like Thorvir Hrothgaard (and others), I, too, was mocking them. Okay so I was mocking a specific part of their anatomy - yet another area where we can boast superiority. And if you don't believe me, just look how long it took us to pull out of Iraq.

But whatever. Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it. The Russian Air Force has a track record of crashing and burning. Furthermore, they have been dependent on the Ukraine and the EU for various parts, so yeah good luck with that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I know it kinda seemed combative but my post was an honest question, i thought perhaps there was some engineering lingo which I was confused about. 

Russia scares the hell outta me. A proud and violent nation will not live under the boot of oppression for long and...well....we're the oppressors and the aggressors in this relationship. 

All the fuss about this engine is a bit waaaay confusing. Kinda, one hand does not know what the other hand is doing. From Solodovnikov's words ("year for some details to discuss", "we will design", "maybe it will be different design") I'd say they only have concept.

And yeah, everyone should be scared seeing monkey playing with nuclear grenade.

• Like 2

this IS pure fantasy. this is propaganda designed for their citizens to feel like they are important and build nationalism. working engines are one thing. dont forget that lockheed designed and built engines the russians have yet to build in the early 60's (SR71). 

those what look like variable geometry wings will not be able to go that fast without burning off 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, seeder said:

They do have rust buckets.  And yes, they might be ranked 2nd.  But that's not saying much, is it?

I do respect their fighting spirit--unlike other countries, Russia fights without caring what the bad guys think.  I do repect their designs, tanks and aircraft and some of their warships.  But that's it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

They do have rust buckets.  And yes, they might be ranked 2nd.  But that's not saying much, is it?

I do respect their fighting spirit--unlike other countries, Russia fights without caring what the bad guys think.  I do repect their designs, tanks and aircraft and some of their warships.  But that's it.

Yep. And their rust buckets have been the cause of many accidents, killing several pilots. Even their more modern planes are malfunctioning (evidence of this has been spotted during their military campaign in Syria). They're working to modernize their aircraft, but the plan they've outlined has been criticized as far too ambitious for their industrial (and possibly their technical) capability. And even if they had all that, they are still cash-strapped. So they can posture all they want, but it's difficult to take them seriously given where they're at now.

• Like 2

Just now, Clair said:

Yep. And their rust buckets have been the cause of many accidents, killing several pilots. Even their more modern planes are malfunctioning (evidence of this has been spotted during their military campaign in Syria). They're working to modernize their aircraft, but the plan they've outlined has been criticized as far too ambitious for their industrial (and possibly their technical) capability. And even if they had all that, they are still cash-strapped. So they can posture all they want, but it's difficult to take them seriously given where they're at now.

Well, traditionally, Russian and Soviet requirements for human safety were second under getting the vehicles they wanted into production.  Some of their aircraft, specifically, would never have been allowed to be put into production here in the United States, where there standards are much higher.  Doesn't mean their stuff doesn't work or work well, just means that the working to not-working ratio is a lot smaller.

Perhaps Russia should go with a smaller, more modern and better-equipped army instead.  Less quantity, more quality.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pbarosso said:

. dont forget that lockheed designed and built engines the russians have yet to build in the early 60's (SR71). 

And yet the US buys Russian rockets for space travel.... go figure.........

U.S. needs up to 18 more Russian rocket engines: Pentagon

The Pentagon will need to buy up to 18 more Russian-built RD-180 engines to power rockets carrying U.S. military satellites into space over the next six years or so, Deputy Defense Secretary Robert Work said in an interview on Friday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-space-russia-idUSKCN0X600H

Funny that...eh?   :lol:

9 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

What about America's firsts? It seems like most of what we "innovated" was lifted from German or Russian technology.

german, not Russian.  Russia stole our tech.  but we were working on nukes before we defeated the germans.

1 hour ago, danielost said:

german, not Russian.  Russia stole our tech.  but we were working on nukes before we defeated the germans.

Correct. It was a terrifying arms race for sure

3 hours ago, seeder said:

And yet the US buys Russian rockets for space travel.... go figure.........

Cheap.

• Like 1