Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nintendo to re-release NES this November

GoldenWolf

Nintendo has announced that it is re-releasing the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) this November in a smaller form with 30 games built-in. It will be released on 11 November and cost $60 (£45) in the US, with no official pricing for the UK yet.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/nintendo-re-release-nes-console-30-built-games-this-november-1570650?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=rss&utm_content=%2Frss%2Fyahoous%2Fnews&yptr=yahoo

Hmm, sixty bucks for an emulator and controller... and only 30 games without retro compatibility for old carts? Thanks, but I'll pass.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, RedSquirrel said:

Hmm, sixty bucks for an emulator and controller... and only 30 games without retro compatibility for old carts? Thanks, but I'll pass.

you're not the target of this NES anyway. 

1 minute ago, jarjarbinks said:

you're not the target of this NES anyway. 

I'd like to think I fit the demographics, old enough to have owned one and played for many years, a sucker for nostalgia. Well, such is life.

13 hours ago, RedSquirrel said:

I'd like to think I fit the demographics, old enough to have owned one and played for many years, a sucker for nostalgia. Well, such is life.

Yeah but like you said, you will use an emulator. They dont release that console for people who already use emulator or collect old console and old games. You'll see a lot of people who dont even have a ps4,ps3,xbox or play on pc buy it for nostalgia or for their kids.

You have a good point. My biggest complaint about this is that it won't play the game carts I have. If it did that, I'd snap it up.

I'm going to get one. Just for the sake of playing a lot of the classic games I used to waste hours on.

17 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I'm going to get one. Just for the sake of playing a lot of the classic games I used to waste hours on.

I wonder if any of the other games will have the Zelda save feature? Can't play Zelda without it so it must have built in memory.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

According to this link, you should be able to save your game.  But you can't add any more games as there are no cartridges or update features.

http://www.cnet.com/products/nintendo-nes-classic-edition/

This sounds very promising.   I may not be heard from again after November...:whistle:

Pac-Man!

:tsu:

• Like 1

On 7/14/2016 at 10:51 PM, TruthSeeker_ said:

Seems that things are going quite well for Nintendo.

I thought so as well, but apparently they don't have the rights to Pokemon anymore so all that Pokemon Go money is slipping right through their fingers....

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/25/12269466/nintendo-stock-plunge-pokemon-go

Nintendo put out a statement after the close of trading on Friday pointing out that the bottom-line impact will be "limited" as it only owns 32 percent of The Pokémon Company

It's too bad - we all have a little nostalgia for Nintendo

Hopefully Nintendo will have fixed the blue screen of death and game freezing as you deliver the final knock out punch to Mike Tyson's chin. 

They should have at least doubled the amount of built in games. I was eyeing up a Colecovision re-release console the other week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been available since Nov 11th but most places are sold out.  https://www.cnet.com/how-to/where-to-buy-the-nes-mini/

The bad reviews on Amazon seem to reflect that no one can buy it, or that the wire for the one game controller is too short. There is a third party replacement controller with a longer cord.

I think I will wait a while until the price goes down.  Not going to pay a huge markup from eBay.  Got other things to keep me busy in the meantime.