Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'World will end on July 29' according to

jethrofloyd

Just now, Abaddonire said:

Why should I prove anything? I make no affirmative claim whatsoever beyond the obvious one that no evidence of any deity has ever been presented. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Using that line of thinking, its not anyone else's place to prove their beliefs to you. Their claims and their faith is their own... why does that bother you so much that you have to openly trash people when they comment on it!? Is their belief so offensive to you that you have to slander it on top of derailing an entire topic to do so? *shakes my head* The arrogance of some people baffles me. 

Edited by Dredimus
  • Like 1

I have just been in touch with the Galactic Highways Planning Council over the sub-etha, and they confirm that the Vogon demolition order for the Earth is not for until 6th August.

This is a very good thing.  Because I have a beer festival to attend on the 5th August :D 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dredimus said:

Using that line of thinking, its not anyone else's place to prove their beliefs to you. Their claims and their faith is their own... why does that bother you so much that you have to openly trash people when they comment on it!? Is their belief so offensive to you that you have to slander it on top of derailing an entire topic to do so? *shakes my head* The arrogance of some people baffles me. 

Anyone can believe whatever they wish.  I simply don't care if they want to believe in some bearded sky fairy. However, it becomes a problem when such believers attempt to impose their particular brand of superstition on others. Or worse, enshrine it into law. 

This end of the world prediction, like every other one serves no function other than to control the behaviour of others. You might be inclined to ask what's the harm if someone chooses to believe such nonsense? The harm is that the gullible will fall for it to the extent that suicide is on the agenda as history will attest.

So down to brass tacks. Do you accept that the world will end on the 29th? Yes or no.

If no, Do you think it is a valid belief?

If yes. Give me all your stuff. You won't need it in two weeks time, will you?

57 minutes ago, Abaddonire said:

Anyone can believe whatever they wish.  I simply don't care if they want to believe in some bearded sky fairy. However, it becomes a problem when such believers attempt to impose their particular brand of superstition on others. Or worse, enshrine it into law. 

This end of the world prediction, like every other one serves no function other than to control the behaviour of others. You might be inclined to ask what's the harm if someone chooses to believe such nonsense? The harm is that the gullible will fall for it to the extent that suicide is on the agenda as history will attest.

So down to brass tacks. Do you accept that the world will end on the 29th? Yes or no.

If no, Do you think it is a valid belief?

If yes. Give me all your stuff. You won't need it in two weeks time, will you?

I don't believe it will... as stated already... However, it doesn't give you cause to go off the handle on a commenter that posted a simple line "Jesus is God". Thats where your whole rant started. And then you backed yourself up with inaccurate information in regards to Jaylemurph's post (btw, I do notice how you have steered clear of that topic since you were corrected). My rebut is not about the belief of God or lack there of... it solely pertains to the fact that you felt the need to bash those who do believe... beyond that, with this prediction, anyone that studies the revelation knows that according to their belief, man shall not know the hour... I watched the video and got the distinct feeling that this all may be a joke to begin with. 

• Like 1

This has been predicted so often. Never happens. One day it will, and people will think, "I didn't see that coming."

14 hours ago, pallidin said:

I wonder what gives these freaks the audacity to make apocalyptic claims, with specific dates, which NEVER come true.

What happens when the apocalypse doesn't happen? Do these freak group leaders then claim that "they spiritually intervened to stop it"?

Keeps the blind sheep nibbling at the grass next to the leaders toes, I guess.

In my heart I feel big earthquakes and famines will come. Predicting a date is so stupid and species have survived prior earthquakes, pole changes and extreme climates. If the end of man comes it will be man who destroys man. War and famine goes hand in hand, that's the end of civilization not the world!

It had better not end before I see the next Guardians of the Galaxy movie. That would p*** me off.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Essan said:

I have just been in touch with the Galactic Highways Planning Council over the sub-etha, and they confirm that the Vogon demolition order for the Earth is not for until 6th August.

This is a very good thing.  Because I have a beer festival to attend on the 5th August :D 

Its the Poetry that will Kill us !  justDONTEATUS 42

12 hours ago, Abaddonire said:

You might want to check that. All three describe a rebelious religious cult originating in a remote Roman province on the basis of a rabble rousing renegade rabbi who was executed years before they were even born. Suetonius describes no such thing, he describes christians leading riots, not jesus.

Actually, I have all three of those authors on my bookshelf (in the original; no need to depend on others' translations) so I did check before I posted. And as Dredimus kindly pointed out, you were wrong here. They do mention Jesus by name -- well, attributive, anyway, "Christus." And Suetonius does say exactly what I said above. A man of your obvious learning wouldn't need translation, so Suetonius writes:

Iudaeos impulsore Chresto assidue tumultuantis Roma expulit. (De Vita Caesarum, Claudius, cap. XXV)

You'll note the use of the singular ablative there in the ablative absolute. Claudius was Caesar from 41 to 54 CE. And we can talk about the politics of Suetonius using Chrestus instead. He clearly knows that christus is the fourth principal part of the verb for to anoint (as I'm sure you do, too), but to correctly use the term, he'd be tactitly agreeing to Jesus' special religious status -- which he clearly doesn't -- and it might also suggest a finicky little separatist ethnic group that had fairly recently been conquered could use proper Latin, another thing he'd be loathe to support. 

I know what the scholarly consensus actually is, as opposed to christians who try to imagine what they wish it were. There is a difference.The consensus is that their was an itinerant jewih rabbi who managed to garner a cult following for a while in the Levant until the Romans executed him for sedition.

Well, yes, in pointlessly and disrepectfully snide terms. (Geez. I'm faulting someone else for being that way. Ironic, surely, and no doubt of amusement to older posters here.) And rather fortunately for me, you can spare me the mansplaining of what historical consensus on the issue is. If I don't, I can talk to historians themselves and spare myself the headache.

It's a pity I actually agree with you -- you can't prove god, and you can't prove a negative, so no one can prove he doesn't exist. And I certainly disapprove of most of what Jesus' followers get up to these days (show me the bigot who doesn't use Jesus as a crutch...), but it's just as much an error in argumentation to blame all of Jesus' followers for what any one or any small group might have done. (Brings to mind the story of Jonah before he takes his cetacean pit stop...)

Want some more? OK. Elsewhere on the internet you find Eric. What a piece of work and most relevant to the topic at hand. He claims to be one of the two witnesses of the bible and is a serious repeat end times prophet. I could list all of his prophecies, but I will restrict myself to the latest. June 3/4 he and his fellow prophet will be sucked up by a UFO to travel to god. No well actually june 10th, no actually June 13th, July fourth, I meant July 10th, well actually July 15th (yesterday). It is uncertain how he will kick the can down the road this time, but he will. Because god.

Wow, you run to both ends of the spectrum here. From tarring everyone with one brush you pull the opposite: one person is wrong, so (or else you imply) they must all be wrong. Again, that's fallacious reasoning.

So yes, the end of the world prophecy is wrong (how many things are there in res humanae that have a solid zero percent accuracy rating?), but do you have to be such a dick about it?

--Jaylemurph

12 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

So you admit that they did not mention Jesus by name but by attribution to a wandering rabbi name of "chrestus". Good. At least some theists retain honesty. "chrestus", of course is not even a name it is a job description.

I make no distinction between between one superstition and the next. They all have a common theme. An irrational belief unsupported by any evidence. Thus, tarot, numerology, astrology, ouija boards, christianity, islam, scientology, all of them are  simply different expressions of superstition.

There is one thing that would change my mind on this. Evidence. That's it.

The magnetic pole hypothesis was already prophesied at least once in my memory. They claimed that there would be flash-freezes as large as glaciers and tsunamis and earthquakes. It never happened. I doubt this one will happen. If it does well then I'm getting my shotgun and getting ready.

I'd rather it didn't, I have a date on the 30th.

10 hours ago, Abaddonire said:

So you admit that they did not mention Jesus by name but by attribution to a wandering rabbi name of "chrestus". Good. At least some theists retain honesty. "chrestus", of course is not even a name it is a job description.

I make no distinction between between one superstition and the next. They all have a common theme. An irrational belief unsupported by any evidence. Thus, tarot, numerology, astrology, ouija boards, christianity, islam, scientology, all of them are  simply different expressions of superstition.

There is one thing that would change my mind on this. Evidence. That's it.

I don't know why I've been wasting my time in responding to this. To accuse me of being a "theist" is to deliberately misread my statements and to give you more grist for your trolling mill. Besides, it takes two fools to argue and if I really want to get in a pointless exchange of sniping, I have students who pay for the opportunity to do so (with better munition, it must be said).

...or I could play Goat Simulator.

--Jaylemurph

See I knew  The Dallas Cowboys had a Chance this year ! Now were all going to Miss it !:(

• Like 1

Theoretically, the only potential danger from a magnetic pole shift would be a weakening of our magnetic field for a period of time. That could expose us and our technology to far more solar radiation than normal. What effects that would have on our environment is not completely known but I doubt many of them will be beneficial. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2016 at 10:01 PM, Abaddonire said:

Two lies in just three short words. You must be proud.

There is no evidence that any individual named Jesus existed.

There is no evidence that any god exists of any description.

That leaves you with just "is" as your best word. That is more than odd.

I'm sorry that you don't believe, but I'm absolutely certain that what I said is true.  

No, not yet at least. 

unusually, the article is actually a bit fun to read:

Using crude computer graphics, the coming of Christ (a white guy on an even whiter flying horse) is shown. At one point his army is involved in a scrap with a huge column of tanks and he breathes fire on them.

i think i've seen that album cover.

7 hours ago, MJNYC said:

I'm sorry that you don't believe, but I'm absolutely certain that what I said is true.  

Leela: I don't know what to believe anymore.

The Doctor: Well that sounds healthy, anyway, Leela; never be certain of anything. It's a sign of weakness.                                                                                                                                           

The world will end (Insert date here) Because of (Insert reason here)

Now go write an article or make a youtube video and please be sure that your logic is as bad as it can be.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2016 at 6:34 AM, Abaddonire said:

Why should I prove anything? I make no affirmative claim whatsoever beyond the obvious one that no evidence of any deity has ever been presented. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

No?

On 7/15/2016 at 9:01 PM, Abaddonire said:

There is no evidence that any individual named Jesus existed.

Give it up. Acknowledge that you learned something.

Harte

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harte said:

No?

Give it up. Acknowledge that you learned something.

Harte

Yup. I learned that some people will insist on nonsense despite an entire absence of any evidence whatsoever. And there is nothing anyone can do about it.

It is the very same religious crapola that inspired 19 wingnuts to murder 3,000 americans. The same religious nutbaggery that caused Bataclan and so forth.

Thanks, but no thanks. I won't be having with that religious rubbish. 

I and others here can note that, though I specifically quoted your claim regarding the reality of a person referred to as "Jesus," you immediately sidestep into your overused "religion" hiding place.

Harte

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harte said:

I and others here can note that, though I specifically quoted your claim regarding the reality of a person referred to as "Jesus," you immediately sidestep into your overused "religion" hiding place.

Harte

Tacitus referred to "Chrestus" for example. That is a title not a name. And Tacitus was referring to an extant movement which claimed the inspiration of a long since dead jewish itinerant  rabbi. And Tacitus had nothing nice to say about those wingnuts. Suetonius was even less complemetary as was Pliny. Josephus was an outright forgery.