Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Military Coup underway in Turkey

Thanato

3 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

No the military drawdown towards a more technological and cost effective force has been happening since Rusmfeld. National policy doesnt actually change with the presidents, just the lip service we're given. 

Cost effective? The US Military? How can you say that with a straight face when one of the major drains on the taxpayers currently is the F-35 program? It may well be technological, but 'cost effective' isn't the first adjective that comes to mind. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

Cost effective? The US Military? How can you say that with a straight face when one of the major drains on the taxpayers currently is the F-35 program? It may well be technological, but 'cost effective' isn't the first adjective that comes to mind. 

LOL you have to know i agree with you wholeheartedly but  it seems the gov thinks paying contractors what you would be paying soldiers is saving money. Im positive the military industrial complex's lobbyists have nothing to do with that. 

Turkey to suspend European human rights convention following failed coup

https://www.rt.com/news/352483-turkey-human-rights-suspended/

Edited by Farmer77

Turkey’s claims that renegade coup plotters are hiding out in PYD/YPG-occupied territory are designed to press Syria and Russia into real action against the pro-American militant Kurdish nationalists as part of the regional anti-“Kurdistan” (not to be confused with anti-Kurdish) coalition that’s incipiently taking shape as part of the Russian-Turkish detente’s game-changing geostrategic impact:  http://gpolit.com/2016/07/20/turkey-wants-russia-syria-make-move-kurds-andrew-korybko/ 

Dang the plot just keeps getting thicker. 

Man, the only thing that's thick is the idea this was ever a real coup attempt.  It was staged all the way.  Turkey is in the bloody transition to full on totalitarian state.  I hope the young people who could get out did...or will slip away soon.  My wife's pathology residency program had a young Turkish MD that we became friends with and she and her husband were wonderful people.  I think of the multitudes just like them who only want freedom who will be stuck there now.  It makes me sick.  So I guess we'll soon see the religion of peace spreading love and harmony over the land there.  God help them.

• Like 3

I agree with most of your sentiments, And Then, but I seriously doubt that the coup was 'staged'. I mean... it's not impossible, but is it probable ?

It may be relatively easy to START one, but how do you make sure that it isn't successful ? How do you keep control of it ? This would surely be a VERY risky proposition ?

The failed coup has given Erdogan the opportunity to purge the country of the more secular officials etc -
I wouldn't be surprised if in the not too distant future Turkey doesn't try to expand it's borders into north Syria
and loosely (at first) become part of the 'Islamic State' -  

Then it all gets very tricky and dangerous - even more tricky and dangerous than it already is -

Edited by bee

34 minutes ago, bee said:

The failed coup has given Erdogan the opportunity to purge the country of the more secular officials etc -
I wouldn't be surprised if in the not too distant future Turkey doesn't try to expand it's borders into north Syria
and loosely (at first) become part of the 'Islamic State' -  

Then it all gets very tricky and dangerous - even more tricky and dangerous than it already is -

Well, regarding that, one sensible thing that ol' Erdog has been doing lately has been re-establishing relations with Russia, and would he want to antagonise them (and isolate himself from them as well as the "West", which he's steadily on the way to doing) by acting against Syria? Maybe he's come to some secret agreement with ol' Vlad concerning that. 

* Worthwhile article here concerning Erdog and his relations with Russia and Syria. 

Edited by Otto von Pickelhaube
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

Well, regarding that, one sensible thing that ol' Erdog has been doing lately has been re-establishing relations with Russia, and would he want to antagonise them (and isolate himself from them as well as the "West", which he's steadily on the way to doing) by acting against Syria? Maybe he's come to some secret agreement with ol' Vlad concerning that. 

* Worthwhile article here concerning Erdog and his relations with Russia and Syria. 

Very informative article - thanks - just read it - and now we can see why America may have been behind the coup in some way - 

from the link -

Indeed. And this sudden rapprochement could have catastrophic implications for US Middle East policy. Consider, for example, that the US not only depends on Turkey’s Incirlik Airbase to conduct its air campaign in Syria, but also, that that same facility houses “roughly 90 US tactical nuclear weapons.” What if Erdogan suddenly decides that it’s no longer in Turkey’s interest to provide the US with access to the base or that he would rather allow Russian bombers and fighters to use the base? (According to some reports, this is already in the works.) More importantly, what happens to US plans to pivot to Asia if the crucial landbridge (Turkey) that connects Europe and Asia breaks with Washington and joins the coalition of Central Asian states that are building a new free trade zone beyond Uncle Sam’s suffocating grip? 

that exiled Turk in the US who is getting all the blame doesn't look like he's got it in him to be so pro-active -
perhaps he won't be around much longer - but for now he is being used as a proxy figure by the US and Turkey -

politics eh..

without abandoning completely what I said about Turkish expansion into North Syria :) - maybe a deal will  be struck with Assad in exchange
for Peace - dunno -

what ever happens Putin and Russia will be enjoying America's discomfort...?...after all the shenanigans America has been up to in the region -

Edited by bee

I just wanted to take a moment in this discussion to draw attention to a recent addition of this section of UM for guidelines. I know not everyone always takes the time to read section headers or notice new ones.

So right now I'm sharing it with everyone here, and I encourage you all to read it in it's entirety. And as always, keep in mind section 6 of the forum rules. :tu:

'Middle-East' board guidelines

When posting in the news and politics boards please bear the following in mind:

• Do not post (or link to sites containing) graphic or violent images or videos
  • Do not post hate speech, racist or racially motivated material, links, articles or views.
  • Avoid copying and pasting entire articles - only quote a snippet and then link to the rest.

Please also be aware that the current affairs boards are provided as a casual platform for the discussion of mainstream news stories. Altercations over highly sensitive issues ( such as those on the matters of race or discrimination ) are likely to result in thread closure.

Also, please.. if you have not read the general site rules in their entirety recently, do so. http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/guidelines/

Rashore, moderating team.

15 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

I agree with most of your sentiments, And Then, but I seriously doubt that the coup was 'staged'. I mean... it's not impossible, but is it probable ?

It may be relatively easy to START one, but how do you make sure that it isn't successful ? How do you keep control of it ? This would surely be a VERY risky proposition ?

Take this source for whatever you feel it's worth : https://www.rt.com/news/351639-turkish-soldiers-coup-exercise/

When I saw it it occurred to me that this could well be the plan from it's outset.  To actually trick some personnel into getting into position and then yelling "COUP!"

Who knows.  But I have trouble believing a modern, well trained military could make such a poorly planned attempt that would certainly cost them EVERYTHING if they lost.  As far as the risk of a staged coup succeeding, I think the new Sultan has been replacing critical officers at all levels for years now.  He's been in the midst of a slow purge for some time and those last elections angered him.  He just decided to "get off the bus" sooner rather than later.  A free, democratic Turkey just became a thing of the past and the only way it will return is with his death and a LOT of civilian bloodshed.  People who cannot see fundamental Islam's prints on this are either blind or foolish imho.  I feel truly badly for all these poor human beings being caught up in the nets.  So many will be tortured and murdered that it makes me sick.  I pray that their families remember and stay strong for the day they can remove this cancer from their nation.  What hell they are about to go through, God only knows.

If the Turkish Military, the ones under the command of those officers that have been arrested. Actually planned the coup. Turkey would currently be unde Military Rule waiting for a transitional authority.

• Like 1

When you have a member of parliament, the Deputy Prime Minister no less, saying women should be seen and not heard when in public, I think it's utterly impossible to see this as anything other than a shift to the ISIS end of the spectrum.

• Like 2

On 22 July 2016 at 5:36 AM, Farmer77 said:

Turkey’s claims that renegade coup plotters are hiding out in PYD/YPG-occupied territory are designed to press Syria and Russia into real action against the pro-American militant Kurdish nationalists as part of the regional anti-“Kurdistan” (not to be confused with anti-Kurdish) coalition that’s incipiently taking shape as part of the Russian-Turkish detente’s game-changing geostrategic impact:  http://gpolit.com/2016/07/20/turkey-wants-russia-syria-make-move-kurds-andrew-korybko/ 

Dang the plot just keeps getting thicker. 

Turkey and lets face it Erdogan are milking this for all they can get. I think he said that the coup was a gift from god... certainly seems that way.

• Like 2

Turkey-US ties will suffer unless Gulen extradited, foreign minister says https://www.rt.com/news/353092-turkey-us-gulen-ambassadors/  

I had to google who Gulen was : He  has been described in the English-language media as an imam "who promotes a tolerant Islam which emphasises altruism, hard work and education" and as "one of the world's most important Muslim figures."[15][12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fethullah_Gülen

5 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Turkey-US ties will suffer unless Gulen extradited, foreign minister says https://www.rt.com/news/353092-turkey-us-gulen-ambassadors/  

I had to google who Gulen was : He  has been described in the English-language media as an imam "who promotes a tolerant Islam which emphasises altruism, hard work and education" and as "one of the world's most important Muslim figures."[15][12]

Yep it seems Erdogan wants to pin the coup down on him and destroy his movement by the same token.

Hopefully the U.S. does not encourage this by extraditating him.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

Gulen movement is a dangerous movement and  is not moderate, they pretend to be nice until they get the full power and they circulate in a small circle. Erdogan is the only person who can eliminate them. This movement has been stealing exam questions and answers since 1986 to get their members into army, law school, police departments and government institutions. They use mobbing to get rid of opponents, or does not let them get  positions they deserve. There are millions of people victimized because of them, especially because of cheating in the exams. They created fake evidence to get rid of their opponents in the army, and some of these people died in jails, or committed suicide. and now years after those people have been cleared up, but most of them spent at least 4 years of their life  in jail. Even , one of my brothers friend who wrote about Gulen movement , got in jail just because of mentioning how dangerous they are. So,picturing Gulen movement as an innocent, tolerant Muslim movement is misleading, they are extremely dangerous and also very powerful.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, philly said:

Gulen movement is a dangerous movement and  is not moderate, they pretend to be nice until they get the full power and they circulate in a small circle. Erdogan is the only person who can eliminate them. This movement has been stealing exam questions and answers since 1986 to get their members into army, law school, police departments and government institutions. They use mobbing to get rid of opponents, or does not let them get  positions they deserve. There are millions of people victimized because of them, especially because of cheating in the exams. They created fake evidence to get rid of their opponents in the army, and some of these people died in jails, or committed suicide. and now years after those people have been cleared up, but most of them spent at least 4 years of their life  in jail. Even , one of my brothers friend who wrote about Gulen movement , got in jail just because of mentioning how dangerous they are. So,picturing Gulen movement as an innocent, tolerant Muslim movement is misleading, they are extremely dangerous and also very powerful.

Very interesting thank you for the information. Knowing this, in your opinion should the US extradite him? 

16 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Very interesting thank you for the information. Knowing this, in your opinion should the US extradite him? 

Well, they should, but they won't. http://rodrik.typepad.com/dani_rodriks_weblog/2016/07/is-fethullah-gülen-behind-turkeys-coup.html

This piece is about how Gulen movement acts, and his wife's father is one of the victims.

4 hours ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

Yep it seems Erdogan wants to pin the coup down on him and destroy his movement by the same token.

Hopefully the U.S. does not encourage this by extraditating him.

I'd as quietly as possibly begin sending in some VERY well equipped snake eaters to bolster security around the nukes.  After that I'd make it unmistakably clear that if any force attempts to over run those weapons stores Erdog would be killed.  Absolutely, positively, stick a fork in him, DONE.  THAT is how such animals are handled in the real world.  Unfortunately since Obama we've been drifting into some surreal place where only feelings seem to matter.  The only feeling that REALLY matters in geopolitics is FEAR.