Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Scottish Spaceport at Prestwick?

Waspie_Dwarf

Prestwick's spaceport ambitions boosted by deal with US spaceplane designer

SPACE tourism from Prestwick is a step closer after a US firm at the cutting edge of spaceflight design struck a deal with the Ayrshire base to bring manned launch services to Scotland.

The spaceport has signed a memorandum of understanding with California-based space launch vehicle designer XCOR Aerospace and space plane design and operating company Orbital Access Limited, setting out an action plan for operations at Prestwick.

arrow3.gif  Read more: Herald Scotland

• Like 1

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• Claire.

Popular Days

Just think, eventually these space ports will be popping up just about everywhere. I've been reading up on sub-oribital tourist flights and their flight pattern will be either vertical or very steep. The plane's engines will then shut off before it reaches maximum altitude and it will coast the rest of the way. So I suspect there will be a lot of screaming and spilled drinks both on the way up and on the way down, with the only upside being some nice views whilst coasting and a chance to experience weightlessness. Worth it I guess.