Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sonia Kruger calls for Muslim migrant ban

Ozfactor

28 minutes ago, Lord Fedorable said:

I've always wanted Stilsuits like in Dune, because unlike Fremen, we have invented deodorant ;)

Haha - well the suits would certainly come in handy for the construction workers while they're building the new towns. 

I wonder how they managed in Alice before that town sprung to life. Winter maybe ? - they wouldn't need deodorant :-*

Projects to divert water from the high rainfall tropical north areas have been touted for over a century. That they have not been acted upon, indicates it is an idea of questionable practicability. The best known was the Bradfield Scheme, which has been promoted by various politicians, but has never really looked like a serious prospect of happening.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Habitat said:

That is another argument altogether. I have heard ignorant people say that refugees should be herded into remote desolate areas, "because there is plenty of room out there for them". The basic issue is insufficient water for anything but low-intensity grazing. 

Not if they pipe the water down from the top end and northern parts of Australia in the wet season...they have a colossal amount of wasted rainfall per year up there - as we also have colossal amount of wasted land. Bring the two together through building dams and catchments - and problem solved. It's not just about putting refugees out there to live...it would benefit many...and I believe good for this nation as a whole.The government needs to pull out their proverbial finger...start looking into this...spend the money... and utilise the wasted water and the wasted land that we have here.

images_56.jpg

Lets start piping the water.... 

images_58.jpg

And build a dam or two....

35 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Projects to divert water from the high rainfall tropical north areas have been touted for over a century. That they have not been acted upon, indicates it is an idea of questionable practicability. The best known was the Bradfield Scheme, which has been promoted by various politicians, but has never really looked like a serious prospect of happening.

Yes - it all boils down to the almighty dollar. I'm sure one day tho... this wonderful and obviously sensible project will take place. I hope I'll be around to see it happen.

Edited by Astra.

15 hours ago, Lord Fedorable said:

Exactly. 

And right here is the difference between people who try to learn what the problem is, and people who have decided they know what the problem is.

I think *gets ready for incoming* that the United States needs to seriously curtail all immigration and try to take care of the people we have. People are on Welfare in record breaking numbers, the economy stinks, unemployment is high, the National Debt is sky high....and so on. Letting in vast numbers of people who are just going to go on Welfare and who in many cases aren't going to be able to assimilate to our culture is stupid.  Ok, tell me how I'm a bigot and how we have to let these people in for 'this and that' reason. At this point I really just don't care anymore (old age will do that to a person).

On 18/07/2016 at 6:32 AM, Lord Fedorable said:

If she genuinely feels unsafe we need to ask why, and to address that.

no one deserves to feel unsafe in their own country.

Look no further than mainstream media (which is, ironically, where she works.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aquatus1 said:

And right here is the difference between people who try to learn what the problem is, and people who have decided they know what the problem is.

And right there is someone scoring a point, rather then spelling out what they see as the issue.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, aquatus1 said:

I already did.  It is what you responded to.

Why don't they stay in Indonesia?

Well, if you're fleeing oppression it's perfect. If you're seeking a new life somewhere, it's less than ideal. 

why don't they stay? Easy, because they want to come to Australia and laws be damned, they'll come as they please. 

• Like 5

So, they want to go to Australia and work to make a new life, as opposed to staying in Indonesia without any prospects.

Instead, they are rounded up and put into prison camps, which, granted, is marginally better than being rounded up and put into death camps.

It doesn't make sense to you, that they would riot after having this?  It wouldn't be utterly predictable behavior to you?

7 hours ago, aquatus1 said:

So, they want to go to Australia and work to make a new life, as opposed to staying in Indonesia without any prospects.

Instead, they are rounded up and put into prison camps, which, granted, is marginally better than being rounded up and put into death camps.

It doesn't make sense to you, that they would riot after having this?  It wouldn't be utterly predictable behavior to you?

And if, while in Indonesia or any of the dozen or so other countries they'd have to crossed or passed gone to an Australian Embassy or the local police they'd have found themselves very quickly on the refugee intake list and living in Australia as a refugee. That's how the law works. Instead, they choose to flaunt the law, because somehow they've heard about people smugglers but not embassies. 

So instead of getting in quickly, safely and legally, they choose to try to get in unsafely and illegally. And so, when caught, we have to make sure they're refugees and not terrorists, which is hard to do as what papers they may have had are long gone. 

We also, lawfully, exert control over who we do or do not allow to settle in our country.

• Like 3

It seems that news of the questionable treatment of people attempting illegal entry has spread around the globe. I always thought this would be damaging to the national reputation. But I can also understand the hardball approach is meant to act as a deterrent, or else the floodgates could open. Standards should, at the very least, be no worse than for those on remand in ordinary jails.

On 8/5/2016 at 4:09 PM, Hammerclaw said:

Oh, a couple of million retirees from New York City and Jersey would tame them and Your northern tropics in short order. For God's sake man, don't let them in!:no:

As for 'gators, once that was true. The more passive and reclusive survived the massacre of their more belligerent kin. Protected for generations, now the aggressive ones survive as well and evidently haven't been told we're king of the beasts and not on the menu. What a lot of people don't know is Florida's saltwater marshes and coastal waters are home to our own saltwater crocs, as well. They're growing larger and larger, reach a length of three and a  half meters and weigh as much as a ton. and getting more aggressive, too.  http://www.crocoworld.com/american-crocodile/

I didn't realise the Croc population was on the rise. That is something to be concerned about. They are very aggressive. 

On 8/7/2016 at 0:07 AM, aquatus1 said:

Honestly, no it does not make sense to me, not a bit. These people are well aware that they are skirting the law, there are more viable options that are legal. Less than $300.00 and a variety of visa options to suit most people. For some reason, some feel the law does not apply to them, and feel they can break the law, when you do that, we all know that there are always consequences.

So how do these illegal immigrants feel that they are not subject to legal consequences when they break the law deliberately? As I say, immigrants arriving legally by plane have no such problems, why insist on breaking the law? That is a bad way to start a new life. 

On 8/6/2016 at 0:18 AM, Lilly said:

I think *gets ready for incoming* that the United States needs to seriously curtail all immigration and try to take care of the people we have. People are on Welfare in record breaking numbers, the economy stinks, unemployment is high, the National Debt is sky high....and so on. Letting in vast numbers of people who are just going to go on Welfare and who in many cases aren't going to be able to assimilate to our culture is stupid.  Ok, tell me how I'm a bigot and how we have to let these people in for 'this and that' reason. At this point I really just don't care anymore (old age will do that to a person).

That is why I say underdeveloped countries seems the best answer to me. They need the influx, the skills, the development, the industry. Australia and New Zealand are huge success stories, let's use the model that works. Everyone has the right to a better life, but lets make sure it actually is better. And better for everyone.

Overstuffing countries with people on already struggling economies is not working. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2016 at 11:59 PM, aquatus1 said:

The real problem is the boat smugglers. 

• Like 2

On 18-7-2016 at 6:05 AM, Likely Guy said:

I believe that you live in the U.S. (correct me if I'm wrong). The U.S has taken in less than 5 thousand Syrian refugees in the last five years whereas Canada took in 25,000 last year alone. Canada is 3% Muslim while the U.S. is 1%. There are more Californians than Canadians.

We've had a few administrative hiccups but, it's largely been smooth.

Edit: We also don't force them into city enclaves. A lot are sponsored by small community groups where they are embraced.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/haida-gwaii-welcomes-first-syrian-refugee-family-1.3663847

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/syrian-refugee-ramps-haida-gwaii-1.3615343

Quit bringing nuance to an otherwise excessively simple view on this immigrant threat to our respective societies LG. You arent a refugee apologizer, are you. My nation is on the verge of losing its very identity because of these 'refugees'.. or was it muslims.. whatever. It was 'them' anyway, you know, those people who dont look like us, smell weird and erm.. have evil cultish religions. We dont take kindly to those folk 'round here, and Trump is going to save us from them and the establishment; hes going to make America Great Again. Yeay!

On a more serious note:
@Hammerclaw; I really dont think 'refugees' is a synonym for 'Muslims'.

And to correct the former somewhat: the only thing that is destroying my nation is the continuous scaremongering regarding foreign, 'inherently non Western' cultures; be they refugee, be they Muslim.. facilitating stratification and intolerance throughout Dutch society. There are three guilty parties for this Western wide trend. 1. your/my government. 2. your/my national mainstream media landscape and 3. the gullible, easily manipulated masses that gobble up the fearful 'Clash of Civilizations' koolaid like there was no tomorrow.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phaeton80 said:

Quit bringing nuance to an otherwise excessively simple view on this immigrant threat to our respective societies LG. You arent a refugee apologizer, are you. My nation is on the verge of losing its very identity because of these 'refugees'.. or was it muslims.. whatever. It was 'them' anyway, you know, those people who dont look like us, smell weird and erm.. have evil cultish religions. We dont take kindly to those folk 'round here, and Trump is going to save us from them and the establishment; hes going to make America Great Again. Yeay!

On a more serious note:
@Hammerclaw; I really dont think 'refugees' is a synonym for 'Muslims'.

And to correct the former somewhat: the only thing that is destroying my nation is the continuous scaremongering regarding foreign, 'inherently non Western' cultures; be they refugee, be they Muslim.. facilitating stratification and intolerance throughout Dutch society. There are three guilty parties for this Western wide trend. 1. your/my government. 2. your/my national mainstream media landscape and 3. the gullible, easily manipulated masses that gobble up the fearful 'Clash of Civilizations' koolaid like there was no tomorrow.

You seem to have taken a wrong turn somewhere back, and missed the Dutch Thread and landed in the Aussie one.

a-soapbox.jpg

• Like 1