Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sonia Kruger calls for Muslim migrant ban

Ozfactor

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/morning-shows/television-personality-sonia-kruger-calls-for-australia-to-ban-muslims/news-story/864b9941d5636e715e357ee6597df9da

MEDIA personality Sonia Kruger has called for Australia to stop taking in Muslim migrants.

The Today showpanel was addressing a recent article by News Corp columnist Andrew Bolt, which attributed terror attacks in France to the country’s intake of Muslim migrants.

Ms Kruger, who hosts Today’s sister show Today Extra, said she had a lot of “peace-loving, beautiful Muslim friends”, but admitted she agreed with the controversial opinion piece.

“Personally, I would like to see it (Muslim migration) stop now for Australia,” she said.

• Like 1

Doesn't Australia stick Muslim refugees on an off shore Island and forget about them anyways?

I heard about this because Australia wanted Canada to take them.

• Like 3

It doesn't surprise me given past and recent events, and I suspect that we'll be hearing more of the same. The fear of terrorism is just the half of it. The other half is the integration of a culture that is vastly different. Some countries are far enough away to have the ability to pick and choose who they allow in; others do not. And on top of all that, we've got all those hotheads working to bring everyone that much closer to an all out conflict. at which point even more won't have a place to call home.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Clair said:

It doesn't surprise me given past and recent events, and I suspect that we'll be hearing more of the same. The fear of terrorism is just the half of it. The other half is the integration of a culture that is vastly different. Some countries are far enough away to have the ability to pick and choose who they allow in; others do not. And on top of all that, we've got all those hotheads working to bring everyone that much closer to an all out conflict. at which point even more won't have a place to call home.

My country, Canada, is the most culturally diverse western country.

Proof: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/07/18/the-most-and-least-culturally-diverse-countries-in-the-world/

Every culture is vastly different. While it's true that we are far enough away (no more so than Australia however) long ago we embraced multiculturalism, celebrate it and have a cabinet minister in charge of it.

When I go to "Little Italy" or "Chinatown" in the city I want them to be speaking Italian or Chinese, not English with an Italian or Chinese accent. Just kidding, they all oblige, but I would hate it if they felt that they had to abandon their cultures just to "fit in".

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Likely Guy said:

My country, Canada, is the most culturally diverse western country.

Proof: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/07/18/the-most-and-least-culturally-diverse-countries-in-the-world/

Every culture is vastly different. While it's true that we are far enough away (no more so than Australia however) long ago we embraced multiculturalism, celebrate it and have a cabinet minister in charge of it.

When I go to "Little Italy" or "Chinatown" in the city I want them to be speaking Italian or Chinese, not English with an Italian or Chinese accent. Just kidding, they all oblige, but I would hate it if they abandoned their cultures just to "fit in".

As multicultural as Canada is, I would think they would draw the line somewhere. No one expects people to give up their cultures, but they do expect them to abide by the laws of a country. I would hope, for example, that Canada would not tolerate sexual assaults against women the way some European countries have. Or even honor killings for that matter. Furthermore,Canada is not entirely multicultural outside some of its major cities, and I'm certain there are regions where an influx of immigrants would not sit well with the communities. But Canada is indeed better positioned than most countries to manage refugees simply because of its makeup. It's culturally very diverse. Other countries are far from that, so you can well imagine the difficulty of dealing with thousands of people who show little respect for local laws and customs.

As for your comment about Australia, they are obligated under international law to take care of those refugees. Instead they are subjecting them to a number of human rights violations and (as you mentioned) trying to pawn them off to Canada. It reflects very badly on them in my opinion.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Clair said:

As multicultural as Canada is, I would think they would draw the line somewhere. No one expects people to give up their cultures, but they do expect them to abide by the laws of a country. I would hope, for example, that Canada would not tolerate sexual assaults against women the way some European countries have. Or even honor killings for that matter. Furthermore,Canada is not entirely multicultural outside some of its major cities, and I'm certain there are regions where an influx of immigrants would not sit well with the communities. But Canada is indeed better positioned than most countries to manage refugees simply because of its makeup. It's culturally very diverse. Other countries are far from that, so you can well imagine the difficulty of dealing with thousands of people who show little respect for local laws and customs.

As for your comment about Australia, they are obligated under international law to take care of those refugees. Instead they are subjecting them to a number of human rights violations and (as you mentioned) trying to pawn them off to Canada. It reflects very badly on them in my opinion.

Re: the bolded part.

I live in a very small town in western Canada of about 350 people. We have about a small Black family, a half dozen Filipinos, about a dozen Chinese and about 20 Cambodians, as well as the First Nations who come and go as they please. There are no racial tensions as they are all honest and law abiding.

The only problem we have have are the white thieving p.o.s. that come here to the end of the road because we have no police.

Edit: Not that we want police stationed here.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Re: the bolded part.

I live in a very small town in western Canada of about 350 people. We have about a small Black family, a half dozen Filipinos, about a dozen Chinese and about 20 Cambodians, as well as the First Nations who come and go as they please. There are no racial tensions as they are all honest and law abiding.

The only problem we have have are the white thieving p.o.s. that come here to the end of the road because we have no police.

Yes and that's why it's working - because they are honest and law abiding. But imagine an influx of thousands of refugees, many of whom want to live by their own laws. Some  might even be linked to terrorist groups. What then?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Clair said:

Yes and that's why it's working - because they are honest and law abiding. But imagine an influx of thousands of refugees, many of whom want to live by their own laws. Some  might even be linked to terrorist groups. What then?

I believe that you live in the U.S. (correct me if I'm wrong). The U.S has taken in less than 5 thousand Syrian refugees in the last five years whereas Canada took in 25,000 last year alone. Canada is 3% Muslim while the U.S. is 1%. There are more Californians than Canadians.

We've had a few administrative hiccups but, it's largely been smooth.

Edit: We also don't force them into city enclaves. A lot are sponsored by small community groups where they are embraced.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/haida-gwaii-welcomes-first-syrian-refugee-family-1.3663847

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/syrian-refugee-ramps-haida-gwaii-1.3615343

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I believe that you live in the U.S. (correct me if I'm wrong). The U.S has taken in less than 5 thousand Syrian refugees in the last five years whereas Canada took in 25,000 last year alone. Canada is 3% Muslim while the U.S. is 1%. There are more Californians than Canadians.

I was referencing the European situation in my last comment, but yeah, we've not taken many Syrians in, the preference being to take care of them where they're at, rather than on our soil. More than half our governors, including the one in my state, are adamantly opposed to allowing them. Obama has said he will allow entry to about 10,000. and whilst that number is not as high as Canada's, it's still too high for many people here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Clair said:

I was referencing the European situation in my last comment, but yeah, we've not taken many Syrians in, the preference being to take care of them where they're at, rather than on our soil. More than half our governors, including the one in my state, are adamantly opposed to allowing them. Obama has said he will allow entry to about 10,000. and whilst that number is not as high as Canada's, it's still too high for many people here.

That is truly sad. Many of those families have been living in refugee camps for up to five years. I really don't think that ISIS embedded them there five years ago so that they can 'Trojan Horse' themselves into the western world. They are vetted, most have their papers and it still takes a year and a half to move along the queue.

And yeah, I realize you were talking about Europe, which suffers more from economic migrants than real refugees.

Still.

• Like 4

Sonia Kruger is er, um, er, a talking TV head more qualified to talk about how to keep the ravages of time at bay than muslim migration.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Sonia Kruger is er, um, er, a talking TV head more qualified to talk about how to keep the ravages of time at bay than muslim migration.

Thanks for getting us back on topic. :)

• Like 1

The big thing for me is that she's being forced to apologise. 

Sod that, if she genuinely (and not drunkenly) believes what she said, then we as a nation that supposedly supports the freedom to speak up should let her dribble whatever lunacy she damn well pleases, she can wear the consequences and we can all move on.

but you NEVER apologise for a held belief. Wear the consequences sure, but retract it or say sorry for it? Balls to that.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The big thing for me is that she's being forced to apologise. 

Sod that, if she genuinely (and not drunkenly) believes what she said, then we as a nation that supposedly supports the freedom to speak up should let her dribble whatever lunacy she damn well pleases, she can wear the consequences and we can all move on.

but you NEVER apologise for a held belief. Wear the consequences sure, but retract it or say sorry for it? Balls to that.

I think that she wants to keep her job and didn't have a clue what she was talking about. Morning news is not a political platform. She overstepped the boundaries. It was probably in her contract.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

If she genuinely feels unsafe we need to ask why, and to address that.

no one deserves to feel unsafe in their own country.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

If she genuinely feels unsafe we need to ask why, and to address that.

no one deserves to feel unsafe in their own country.

Sod that. Let's give her a group hug and get on with it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Sod that. Let's give her a group hug and get on with it.

So "get over it love, and move on", what a lovely attitude to have. 

A person says "I'm afraid" and you say "toughen up princess". 

Now, if she's afraid because she's Ill-informed, that's treatable, as is if her fears are genuinely grounded. But if she is frightened, we need to ask "why?" and then do something about it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

So "get over it love, and move on", what a lovely attitude to have. 

A person says "I'm afraid" and you say "toughen up princess". 

Now, if she's afraid because she's Ill-informed, that's treatable, as is if her fears are genuinely grounded. But if she is frightened, we need to ask "why?" and then do something about it.

Why is she afraid?

1 minute ago, Likely Guy said:

Why is she afraid?

That's what Im saying! Ask why, find out why and change it.

if it's because, as I suspect, her head would fall off from the extra weight caused by adding an extra braincell to the one she already possesses, she's parroting someone else (Andrew Bolt or Pauline Hanson probably) then that's ignorance, and ignorance is an easily curable disease. If it's because someone has actuslly threatened her, then... Well that's easily solved too, we have laws. 

• Like 2

She's about 50 and trying very hard to look 25, with some degree of success, it has to be conceded.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Habitat said:

She's about 50 and trying very hard to look 25, with some degree of success, it has to be conceded.

She looks like she's been molded out of plastic.

poorly molded at that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

Edit: We also don't force them into city enclaves. A lot are sponsored by small community groups where they are embraced.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/haida-gwaii-welcomes-first-syrian-refugee-family-1.3663847

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/syrian-refugee-ramps-haida-gwaii-1.3615343

There are over six times as many American Muslims as there are Canadian Muslims 'though they are a statistically larger percentage of Canada's population. http://www.muslimpopulation.com/America/

• Like 2