Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Myth of the Loch Ness Monsters

Carnoferox

No i'm not Scottish  but  a have been fascinated by the phenomenon  that is  the Loch Ness Monster for 35 years and have read and researched everything I could get my hands on regarding the subject. As a right of passage I embarked on the  big OE, among the many places and countries I visited  Loch Ness was a given, spending 2 weeks lurking around its shores.

I spent many an evening in the small pubs and taverns in the villages surrounding the Loch talking with the locals, never being openly interested in the LNP but keeping an open ear  . The Scottish are a reserved and dour breed in general  but on more than one occasion the subject came up and the general consensus being something unexplained had being witnessed for many years. One old gent I remember had seen for himself the "beastie' at close range and when I questioned  him later regarding his experience all he would  say was   "Aye laddie there be a strange beastie in that Loch" .

There have been numerous large sonic targets recorded in Loch Ness over the years that are far larger than the known animals that in habit the Loch, the jury is still out if you keep an open mind.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bluethermal said:

There have been numerous large sonic targets recorded in Loch Ness over the years

No sonar study has ever provided anything compelling. Plenty of static solid objects.

The Water Horse was a bit average...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluethermal said:

No i'm not Scottish  but  a have been fascinated by the phenomenon  that is  the Loch Ness Monster for 35 years and have read and researched everything I could get my hands on regarding the subject. As a right of passage I embarked on the  big OE, among the many places and countries I visited  Loch Ness was a given, spending 2 weeks lurking around its shores.

I spent many an evening in the small pubs and taverns in the villages surrounding the Loch talking with the locals, never being openly interested in the LNP but keeping an open ear  . The Scottish are a reserved and dour breed in general  but on more than one occasion the subject came up and the general consensus being something unexplained had being witnessed for many years. One old gent I remember had seen for himself the "beastie' at close range and when I questioned  him later regarding his experience all he would  say was   "Aye laddie there be a strange beastie in that Loch" .

There have been numerous large sonic targets recorded in Loch Ness over the years that are far larger than the known animals that in habit the Loch, the jury is still out if you keep an open mind.

You mean people who directly or indirectly benefit from a thriving Nessie trade spin tales for the visitors of beasties in the Loch?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, bluethermal said:

I questioned  him later regarding his experience all he would  say was   "Aye laddie there be a strange beastie in that Loch"

"Aye that meet be true - as he gave yer a wink of his eye"    graphics-scots-281435.gif

• Like 2

Im not Scottish, but I always thought that the legend of the Loch Ness monster was that she lurked at the bottom of the waters? I really don't think that any of these pictures are real, but I do think that there are a lot more water-dwelling organisms that we haven't found yet. Though, the story of "Nessie" has origins on the influence of Norse Mythology from the viking raids and slave trade.

Its something to think about, at least.

If there truly was a community of big-sized creatures living in the Loch, i kinda doubt they all would be plesiosaurs. After all, Nessie has been claimed to do things true plesiosaurs couldn't, such as going to land and having a flexible neck too. In this regard, i'm a supporter of the long-necked seal hypothesis, but there's also the possibility Nessie could be some sort of bizarre amphibian or yeah, just an unusually huge eel who got famous by chance. While Nessie has become a greatly popular cryptid, and as much as i'd like it to be real, there's just too much evidence to the contrary, and even if there was a large creature there, pretty sure it's long dead by now, and i doubt its descendants could be able to thrive in waters with not enough food to sustain a whole family of them. But even if all the Nessies are either dead or just hiding, their legacy will be eternal.

35 minutes ago, Dino-Mario said:

If there truly was a community of big-sized creatures living in the Loch, i kinda doubt they all would be plesiosaurs. After all, Nessie has been claimed to do things true plesiosaurs couldn't, such as going to land and having a flexible neck too. In this regard, i'm a supporter of the long-necked seal hypothesis, but there's also the possibility Nessie could be some sort of bizarre amphibian or yeah, just an unusually huge eel who got famous by chance. While Nessie has become a greatly popular cryptid, and as much as i'd like it to be real, there's just too much evidence to the contrary, and even if there was a large creature there, pretty sure it's long dead by now, and i doubt its descendants could be able to thrive in waters with not enough food to sustain a whole family of them. But even if all the Nessies are either dead or just hiding, their legacy will be eternal.

With the cold temperatures, I think a large amphibian is unlikely. The long-necked seal is always a possibility, but there isn't any evidence. Eels, sturgeon, Wels catfish, and the Greenland shark are more viable  identities.