Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do some set their clock 15-min ahead ?

pallidin

I don't get it. My roommate sets the house clocks 15-min ahead as if she will forget about it being 15-min ahead and be on time for work.

Yet, she is ALWAYS late for work.

• Like 4

My alarm clock runs fast and I just let it get more and more ahead. I'm currently about 23 minutes fast. The result is I have more time to watch funny TV shows to get me into an upbeat mood for work.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

I'm a short sleeper, so I'm always up in the wee hours of the morning bouncing off the walls until it's time for me to be somewhere. I can't identify with anyone who needs clocks or alarms, so it's beyond me why anyone would need to do that. Time management issues obviously. :lol:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, pallidin said:

I don't get it. My roommate sets the house clocks 15-min ahead as if she will forget about it being 15-min ahead and be on time for work.

Yet, she is ALWAYS late for work.

A couple of chicks i used to date called it 'girl time'. Since I too set my clocks ahead 10-15 minutes I prefer to call it stoner time! 

I do it because I HATE being late and my work ethic says if you're "on time" you're 15 minutes late. IDK why im just wired that way. 

• Like 3

On  my days off I do not go by clocks, only the light or dark outside. But even when I set my alarm clock to get up for work, I wake up well before it goes off. 

Time on this planet is short, so I would rather not "time" it with clocks and time it with "grateful to be here" instead.

21 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

A couple of chicks i used to date called it 'girl time'. Since I too set my clocks ahead 10-15 minutes I prefer to call it stoner time! 

If they are chicks, does that mean that you are a rooster1.jpg       only joking Farmer, sorry, just could not help myself, :-*

• Like 3

Just now, freetoroam said:

On  my days off I do not go by clocks, only the light or dark outside. But even when I set my alarm clock to get up for work, I wake up well before it goes off. 

Time on this planet is short, so I would rather not "time" it with clocks and time it with "grateful to be here" instead.

If they are chicks, does that mean that you are a rooster1.jpg       only joking Farmer, sorry, just could not help myself, :-*

HAHA I almost didnt use that term LOL.....I like your approach to time when you're off. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

I do it because I HATE being late and my work ethic says if you're "on time" you're 15 minutes late. IDK why im just wired that way. 

Early is on time. On time is late. 

• Like 3

Showing up early is a way of saying "I want to be here, this is important to me". It has all the benefits of kissing up, without the mess and bull-monkey. I set my clock fast and show up early because I want to set myself apart from others. In a meritocracy, it really is the early bird that gets the worm.

EDIT: some are late because they think "I have all this time" and lose track after starting strong.

Edited by RedSquirrel
I need to slow down and read the whole paragraph. haha.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedSquirrel said:

Showing up early is a way of saying "I want to be here, this is important to me". It has all the benefits of kissing up, without the mess and bull-monkey. I set my clock fast and show up early because I want to set myself apart from others. In a meritocracy, it really is the early bird that gets the worm.

EDIT: some are late because they think "I have all this time" and lose track after starting strong.

For me, getting too close to the time I'm supposed to be somewhere causes me actual anxiety and physical discomfort. I get knots in my stomach over it. I don't think I've ever met anyone who hates being late more than I do. 

I once dated a guy who had been habitually late for everything. We canceled each other out, and we were on time for everything. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

For me, getting too close to the time I'm supposed to be somewhere causes me actual anxiety and physical discomfort. I get knots in my stomach over it. I don't think I've ever met anyone who hates being late more than I do. 

I once dated a guy who had been habitually late for everything. We canceled each other out, and we were on time for everything. 

I dig, I do. I was raised to be early and punishment (mild ridicule) was enacted for tardy behavior. My wife, on the other hand, is a "we'll get there when we do" type. Drives me up a wall. She's cool though, pull to my push, if you will.

• Like 1

Just now, RedSquirrel said:

I dig, I do. I was raised to be early and punishment (mild ridicule) was enacted for tardy behavior. My wife, on the other hand, is a "we'll get there when we do" type. Drives me up a wall. She's cool though, pull to my push, if you will.

Well, we drove each other crazy and ultimately just couldn't be together. For other reasons than that, but it was definitely a factor. 

• Like 1

Just now, ChaosRose said:

Well, we drove each other crazy and ultimately just couldn't be together. For other reasons than that, but it was definitely a factor. 

I totally understand that. We lucked out in that she's a mellow type and I'm strung tighter than a belt on a professional eater during a championship. Aside from that, we get along and she's teaching me to unwind, I'm teaching her to knuckle down... we might eventually become two well balanced people (gasp!) or at least less... extreme.

• Like 1

I really can't answer this. All I know is that my internal alarm clock always goes off 30 minutes before my actual alarm clock. Even on weekends.<_<

• Like 2

I never needed an alarm clock either.

When I had to get up early to go to work I would wake up on time "with a sense of responsibility"  :lol:

Edited by ZZ430
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have found it useful ... as it always seems to take those 15 minutes to get out of the door...  It's insurance !!! The recognition that Time really seems to fly...  my kids always seem to believe it take 15 minutes to get anywhere, so they  are constantly stressed and often late as there is always the sudden traffic problem or.. mostly the focus of  :) life is really often is more than 15 minutes away.. or one could consider that they are so focused on something that they feel closer to it.. as if it is practically there.. but of course it isn't...  So really that 15 minutes is a form of stress insurance..  or a subliminal recognition that we are always late  and it is an offering to  the hubris gods... or just an acknowledgement that we are hopeless at timing so at least we  can say that we have made an effort. One of my daughters has remedied this by timing things so that she is always a half an hour early.. her twin and my Mum always believe that they will get there in 15 minutes.. my other uses GPS for timing and  wastes time until she is at the right time to leave... following accepted time tables.. but often gets disappointed... I use the 15 minutes.. :)  knowing that stuff happens when you least expect it.. and knowing I like to chill first when I arrive.. early.. hopefully..