Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bigfoot.Biological or Paraphysical?

staxx66

Both myself and my close friend have been interested in cryptozoology since we were in elementary school.

I am 49 currently 49 years old and he is 48.Although we are both believers,we have a difference of opinion on the

exact nature of Bigfoot.My personal opinion is that Bigfoot is an extra dimensional being.While I am open minded

to the possibility of unknown hominids surviving in the Pacific Northwest of the USA and Canada,I simply cannot 

see a creature of this size remaining unknown in the eastern US.Pennsylvania has a large number of sightings.

My friend still feels it is a purely biological creature.We do have heavily forested area here but not to the degree

that a creature such as this could remain unknown.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, get ready for the onslaught of "neither hes not real" type responses. 

My personal theory is that BF is a self aware, biological creature which broke off from humanity at some point throughout history and moved underground.When you look at the indigenous peoples who have strong BF or BF type creature traditions they almost all also have a deep mythology involving a subterranean world.  Places like China, the Pacific NW , Vietnam,and the American SW all have extensive cave systems and accompanying mythology. 

Edited by Farmer77

So where is the body? With all the people hunting in the U.S. at least one single person would've killed a bigfoot by now or at least come across a carcass.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

My personal theory is that BF is a self aware, biological creature which broke off from humanity at some point throughout history and moved underground.

Where's the evidence? Have fossils or bones ever been found? Furthermore, if Bigfoot is a self-aware biological creature somehow related to the human species, shouldn't it possess some level of intelligence? Enough perhaps to know how to make tools?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So where is the body? With all the people hunting in the U.S. at least one single person would've killed a bigfoot by now or at least come across a carcass.

2 minutes ago, Clair said:

Where's the evidence? Have fossils or bones ever been found? Furthermore, if Bigfoot is a self-aware biological creature somehow related to the human species, shouldn't it possess some level of intelligence? Enough perhaps to know how to make tools?

There are reports from the frontier times of people shooting a bigfoot. Many today have claimed to have their sites on it but couldnt bring themselves to pull the trigger because of how human they seemed  (thats the self aware part) 

If the creatures are self aware they most likely have burial traditions. If they live underground chances are their burial sites would be underground as well.

As for tools , well if an anthropologist found a tool in the forest would he attribute it to the local native americans or bigfoot? I think an argument can be made that confirmation bias would preclude any scientist as recognizing any tools created by BF as being such. 

One (that i could quote now i know there are more) native tradition holds that BF simply chose to stop interacting with humans due to our nature. 

For the record, im simply laying out my personal theory. Not attempting to convince anyone of it. 

Just for fun - what if national parks are actually BF reservations, kinda like we did with the native americans? 

• Like 2

I can prove that there are Kangaroos in my area, through tracks and scat. Roo poo is small and beady. 

Now, if we assume that Squatch poo is like human poo, there'd be piles of the stuff that the trained eye could spot.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lord Fedorable said:

I can prove that there are Kangaroos in my area, through tracks and scat. Roo poo is small and beady. 

Now, if we assume that Squatch poo is like human poo, there'd be piles of the stuff that the trained eye could spot.

Why? if a self aware creature didnt want to interact with humans why would he crap everywhere for the evidence to be found and him to be tracked? 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 2

Bring me a real bigfoot corpse and I will believe. Same goes for aliens as well.

1 minute ago, jethrofloyd said:

BeneficialDopeyKrill-size_restricted.gif

Again where's the corpse? Why hasn't in been documented that "Yes, it does exist!!!" Then kids could've been taught about it in school and we'd have a stuffed bigfoot in museums.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Why? if a self aware creature didnt want to interact with humans why would he crap everywhere for the evidence to be found and him to be tracked? 

Which is assuming Bigfoot is self aware. Bigfoot could nd smart enough to avoid humans, but not be self aware.

dogs are smart (on the whole). They still poo in my garden.

ravens are smart, and teach tool use to other Ravens, and they still poo in my garden.

the aforementioned Roos are smart enough to avoid bring seen by most humans, but they still scat all over the shop.

• Like 2

Just now, Lord Fedorable said:

Which is assuming Bigfoot is self aware. Bigfoot could nd smart enough to avoid humans, but not be self aware.

ravens are smart, and teach tool use to other Ravens, and they still poo in my garden.

the aforementioned Roos are smart enough to avoid bring seen by most humans, but they still scat all over the shop.

Possibly, like i said above, my personal theory is that they are self aware, hell that they would HAVE to be in order for them to exist. 

Anyways shifts over, look forward to reading the mayhem in the AM. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Welcome to the forum, get ready for the onslaught of "neither hes not real" type responses. 

My personal theory is that BF is a self aware, biological creature which broke off from humanity at some point throughout history and moved underground.When you look at the indigenous peoples who have strong BF or BF type creature traditions they almost all also have a deep mythology involving a subterranean world.  Places like China, the Pacific NW , Vietnam,and the American SW all have extensive cave systems and accompanying mythology. 

What would a large mammal eat down in the caves? Small insects and bat guano? I doubt there would be enough sustenance.

11 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

There are reports from the frontier times of people shooting a bigfoot. Many today have claimed to have their sites on it but couldnt bring themselves to pull the trigger because of how human they seemed  (thats the self aware part) 

If the creatures are self aware they most likely have burial traditions. If they live underground chances are their burial sites would be underground as well.

As for tools , well if an anthropologist found a tool in the forest would he attribute it to the local native americans or bigfoot? I think an argument can be made that confirmation bias would preclude any scientist as recognizing any tools created by BF as being such. 

One (that i could quote now i know there are more) native tradition holds that BF simply chose to stop interacting with humans due to our nature. 

For the record, im simply laying out my personal theory. Not attempting to convince anyone of it. 

Just for fun - what if national parks are actually BF reservations, kinda like we did with the native americans? 

Most of the frontier reports are hoaxes. Hoaxes were surprisingly common in newspapers in Europe and North America in the 1800's. Ranging from bat-winged humans on the moon (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Moon_Hoax) to a supposedly captured gorilla/Sasquatch (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacko_hoax), these fabrications appeared on a weekly basis.

The whole "couldn't shoot it because it looked too human" story is courtesy of the known fraud Rick Dyer (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Dyer)

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

That is not a good excuse for not thinking critically. If you are going to create a theory, make sure it has no major logical flaws first. I suggest you use the exercise of Occam's Razor - the best theory is the theory with the fewest assumptions.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

hmmm.. did you read the article? 

here are just a few of snippits from it: I think we can get the drift on what this article is like from these:

Bigfoot was reportedly shot and buried 

a hunter shot and killed a Bigfoot, then buried it.

a hunter shot a Bigfoot four times between the eyes and killed it. It rolled off the road. The man came back 24 hours later, and the body was gone.  

An Eskimo shot and buried a Bigfoot.

Hunters killed a Bigfoot and dumped the body in an old well.

a hunter shot and killed a Bigfoot, then buried the body.

a farmer shot a Bigfoot and then somehow managed to take it back to his house, where he left it outside. Other Bigfoots then came that night and retrieved the body.

The rest are just as ridiculous....some even more so.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Lord Fedorable said:

If they are inter dimensional  beings,  they obviously, or in our case, not obviously, could choose to poo in other dimensions .

I actually like the idea of  inter "dimensional"  beings..  who can travel about the universe, or multiverse, unbound by time and space.

They might just come here for the blueberries.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Mountain Lions cover their poo to hide evidence that they are there. We still film and hunt and see them.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, staxx66 said:

Both myself and my close friend have been interested in cryptozoology since we were in elementary school.

I am 49 currently 49 years old and he is 48.Although we are both believers,we have a difference of opinion on the

exact nature of Bigfoot.My personal opinion is that Bigfoot is an extra dimensional being.While I am open minded

to the possibility of unknown hominids surviving in the Pacific Northwest of the USA and Canada,I simply cannot 

see a creature of this size remaining unknown in the eastern US.Pennsylvania has a large number of sightings.

My friend still feels it is a purely biological creature.We do have heavily forested area here but not to the degree

You are absolutely right, aside from the claim that bigfoot is an extra-dimensional being--what causes you to believe that?  I've been reading that claim more and more now, and it's just as improbable as every other theory.  Even more so in come cases.

It is highly impossible, and completely unproven, that a creature such as this can not only exist, but elude ALL attempts to document it.  It is not biological, because it if were, we'd have evidence of that.  It is not para-physical or whatever, because those things haven't been proven to happen either.  It is a made up story, it is a mis-identification, and at times, it is a deliberate hoax--a hoax that is always perpetrated just to garner attention and nothing more.

Bigfoot, and the Church of Bigfoot that many believers subscribe to, is entertainment.  I admit I find it interesting...the stories and the sightings and the mindset of believers.  But I am completely unconvinced that the creature known as bigfoot--hell any current cryptid-- can exist.  Can I be convinced?  Absolutely.  All if will take is evidence.

And evidence has not been brought forward yet.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Bigfoot, and the Church of Bigfoot that many believers subscribe to, is entertainment.  I admit I find it interesting...the stories and the sightings and the mindset of believers.  But I am completely unconvinced that the creature known as bigfoot--hell any current cryptid-- can exist.  Can I be convinced?  Absolutely.  All if will take is evidence.

And evidence has not been brought forward yet.

The good ol' CoB. Providing tons of laughs for skeptics since 1958.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, staxx66 said:

Because you are new here - (welcome btw) you may not realise that the subject of BF has been done to death.

I am sure if you follow up and check out the zillion of other threads that already exist on this forum concerning BF....you will read some of the more 'common sense' and the more 'down to earth' and 'realistic' opinions and advise that others here have already shared. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Bring me a real bigfoot corpse and I will believe. Same goes for aliens as well.

BeneficialDopeyKrill-size_restricted.gif

Again where's the corpse? Why hasn't in been documented that "Yes, it does exist!!!" Then kids could've been taught about it in school and we'd have a stuffed bigfoot in museums.

Ah but apparently there is a stuffed one:

Date unknown, modern era: Location unknown. A wealthy hunterreportedly shot and killed a Bigfoot, then paid a taxidermist to stuff it, and it’s presently on display in a ritzy country club on the East Coast. Reported by Ray Crowe.

https://robertlindsay.wordpress.com/2011/05/13/why-has-no-hunter-ever-shot-and-killed-a-bigfoot/

I have done some research on this to look for the evidence to back this up, and here are  the results:

.confused.gif

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

That is not a good excuse for not thinking critically. If you are going to create a theory, make sure it has no major logical flaws first. I suggest you use the exercise of Occam's Razor - the best theory is the theory with the fewest assumptions.

Nah I dont need to live in a world where everything fits nicely within human defined parameters. Like I said earlier in the thread, I have zero need to try and prove or convince anyone of anything.

I simply like discussing cryptozoology , mythology and folklore. Other experiences in my life have led me to know that sometimes things which occur dont fit within science's current paradigm so i can discuss these things with a relatively open mind. Not gullible, not from a faith based position but just with an open mind. 

Which is why I find it so rude and obnoxious when a post such as the OP's is met with the "hes imaginary" response. Perhaps the creature is imaginary but so apparently is many of our board members' ability to read and comprehend. The OP didnt ask if anyone thought BF actually existed. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

Nah I dont need to live in a world where everything fits nicely within human defined parameters. Like I said earlier in the thread, I have zero need to try and prove or convince anyone of anything.

I simply like discussing cryptozoology , mythology and folklore. Other experiences in my life have led me to know that sometimes things which occur dont fit within science's current paradigm so i can discuss these things with a relatively open mind. Not gullible, not from a faith based position but just with an open mind. 

Which is why I find it so rude and obnoxious when a post such as the OP's is met with the "hes imaginary" response. Perhaps the creature is imaginary but so apparently is many of our board members' ability to read and comprehend. The OP didnt ask if anyone thought BF actually existed. 

Ok.

I think though that's it time to discuss something less done-to-death than Bigfoot. Maybe a lesser known cryptid like the Enfield Horror, Trinity Alps giant salamander, or Batsquatch.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I tend to agree. However I also understand that over the decades, tens of thousands of people wander into various national parks and simply disappear. No bones found... just gone. It really depends on how smart we assume BF is....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

I agree. I like talking about cryptozoology too. I do tend toward the scientific approach though, very heavily. And I've become convinced over the years that cryptozoology is a branch of folklore, media whatever. In short I'm in the 'Post-Cryptid' camp.  

That said, personally, I've learned a lot from discussions with people who hold the opposite view. Both by listening to what they had to say. And by going off and evaluating it. 

Cryptozoology is helpful, useful and interesting. 

• Like 2