Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russian warplanes reportedly bombed US base

aztek

Russian warplanes reportedly bombed a secret military base in Syria used by elite American and British forces last month.

The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday that the Russian strike on the CIA-linked site was part of a campaign by Russia to pressure the White House to agree to closer cooperation in the Syrian skies, U.S. military and intelligence officials said.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/07/22/russian-warplanes-reportedly-bombed-us-base-in-syria.html

I just wanted to take a moment in this discussion to draw attention to a recent addition of this section of UM for guidelines. I know not everyone always takes the time to read section headers or notice new ones.

So right now I'm sharing it with everyone here, and I encourage you all to read it in it's entirety. And as always, keep in mind section 6 of the forum rules. :tu:

'Middle-East' board guidelines

When posting in the news and politics boards please bear the following in mind:

• Do not post (or link to sites containing) graphic or violent images or videos
  • Do not post hate speech, racist or racially motivated material, links, articles or views.
  • Avoid copying and pasting entire articles - only quote a snippet and then link to the rest.

Please also be aware that the current affairs boards are provided as a casual platform for the discussion of mainstream news stories. Altercations over highly sensitive issues ( such as those on the matters of race or discrimination ) are likely to result in thread closure.

Also, please.. if you have not read the general site rules in their entirety recently, do so. http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/guidelines/

Rashore, moderating team.

• Like 3

I notice the reports doesn't say if the "secret base" was embedded within rebel forces in Syria? If it was, then the US only has itself to blame for it being targeted.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

I notice the reports doesn't say if the "secret base" was embedded within rebel forces in Syria? If it was, then the US only has itself to blame for it being targeted.

may be you should read the article again, 

After the first strike, U.S. central command air operations center in Qatar called Russia’s air campaign headquarters in Latakia, Syria to tell them that the base shouldn’t be attacked.

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

may be you should read the article again, 

After the first strike, U.S. central command air operations center in Qatar called Russia’s air campaign headquarters in Latakia, Syria to tell them that the base shouldn’t be attacked.

I'd like to point out that the US central command air operations centre in Qatar was not the "secret base" in Syria, near the Jordanian border, that was attacked - so my reading comprehension appears to be fine, thanks for your concern.

23 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

I'd like to point out that the US central command air operations centre in Qatar was not the "secret base" in Syria, near the Jordanian border, that was attacked - so my reading comprehension appears to be fine, thanks for your concern.

no it was not, i never implied it was,  Russians were called from US central command air operations centre, and were told not to attack the base in question, yea, your reading comprehension sucks big time, you proved it twice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

no it was not, i never implied it was,  Russians were called from US central command air operations centre, and were told not to attack the base in question, yea, your reading comprehension sucks big time, you proved it twice.

Okay, did you not read the first four words of the part of the article you quoted back to me?

"After the first strike" are those words. Hence, the base was attacked before the Americans got in touch with the Russians to say "hands off" - which agrees exactly with what I posted.

41 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Obama's response was to acquiesce to Russian demands. 

As usual.

• Like 2

So.....

We have a secret base in another country without the sovereign government's permission that is being used to aid rebels against the government.  That base was bombed by military jets of a country allied (Russia) to the sovereign government after we refused to agree to coordinate our campaign with the sovereign government and Russia.  (Because everyone is really just there to fight ISIS. Honest!)

Did I get anything wrong?

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

So.....

We have a secret base in another country without the sovereign government's permission that is being used to aid rebels against the government.  That base was bombed by military jets of a country allied (Russia) to the sovereign government after we refused to agree to coordinate our campaign with the sovereign government and Russia.  (Because everyone is really just there to fight ISIS. Honest!)

Did I get anything wrong?

Yes, you said, and added far more detail, pretty much what I said - therefore, according to the "authorities" patrolling this thread, you'll have to re-read the article until you agree with their views on how evil the Russkies are, and how much of a wimp Obama is. Because that, particularly the latter, is what this thread seems to be about - not the fact that the US has an illegal secret military base in another sovereign nation.

• Like 2

not the fact that the US has an illegal secret military base in another sovereign nation.

Good point. What was the U.S. doing in Syria anyway, supporting Islamists and such?

Seems they have only themselves to blame.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

Good point. What was the U.S. doing in Syria anyway, supporting Islamists and such?

Seems they have only themselves to blame.

I have no idea, ask Obama and Hillary, it was their idea to help oust Assad.  Why did Obama support the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt?  Why did Hillary help overthrow Qaddafi in Libya, he was helping stop radical Islamism?  Why was Iraq left to ISIS?  

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

I have no idea, ask Obama and Hillary, it was their idea to help oust Assad.  Why did Obama support the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt?  Why did Hillary help overthrow Qaddafi in Libya, he was helping stop radical Islamism?  Why was Iraq left to ISIS?  

Personally I think its the fact that every nation you mentioned had plans regarding currency.  That trend however can be followed all the way back through GWB and into Slick Willy's tenure. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Personally I think its the fact that every nation you mentioned had plans regarding currency.  That trend however can be followed all the way back through GWB and into Slick Willy's tenure. 

Libya was not causing any problems to the US or Europe, in fact Qaddafi was helping fight radical Islam yet Hillary pushed and prodded and manipulated for us to help overthrow his regime/  From memory not even Obama was on board with this plan but acquiesced in the end and now we have anarchy there.  Why?  I have read about a pan-African currency that threatened the EU but it was just talk as far as I know and why would the US care about that anyways?

I remember flying around off the coast of Libya, gulf of Sidra I think it is called, trying to draw the MIGS out way back in the 80's so I know he was a bad guy at one time but as of late Qaddafi had totally reformed himself and his country.   Now there is chaos and terrorist training camps.  WTF? 

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 4

Just now, Merc14 said:

Libya was not causing any problems to the US or Europe, in fact Qaddafi was helping fight radical Islam yet Hillary pushed and prodded and manipulated for us to help overthrow his regime/  From memory not even Obama was on board with this plan but acquiesced in the end and now we have anarchy there.  Why?  I have read about a pan-African currency that threatened the EU but it was just talk as far as I know and why would the US care about that anyways?

It goes back to the theory that our dollar's value is based on oil sales. Im not an economist, or an adult who can even balance his checking account, so im not totally qualified to argue too intensely one way or another but the coincidental timing of these events going back to Milosovich is kind of a head scratcher. 

1 hour ago, Merc14 said:

Wasn't it the likes of McCain and Graham who advocated to invade Syria? Both Dems and Reps are to blame here.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

I remember flying around off the coast of Libya, gulf of Sidra I think it is called, trying to draw the MIGS out way back in the 80's so I know he was a bad guy at one time but as of late Qaddafi had totally reformed himself and his country.   Now there is chaos and terrorist training camps.  WTF? 

Kind of like the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Sadam Hussein was a blustering dictator with no WMDs. He didn't pose any serious threat. In fact, he was useful in maintaining a sense of secularity and order in a country prone to sectarian division.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

Wasn't it the likes of McCain and Graham who advocated to invade Syria? Both Dems and Reps are to blame here.

Maybe you should do some more reading then as the last I heard two senators aren't running US foreign policy, especially when their party wasn't even the majority at the time.  LMAO. 

41 minutes ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

Kind of like the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Sadam Hussein was a blustering dictator with no WMDs. He didn't pose any serious threat. In fact, he was useful in maintaining a sense of secularity and order in a country prone to sectarian division.

I concur but just WITF does it have to do with what we are discussing?   How about supporting the disastrous Muslim brotherhood in the overthrow of the friendly government in Egypt?  Was that McCain's doing as well?    Grow the F up.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3

Just now, Merc14 said:

Maybe you should do some more reading then as the last I heard two senators aren't running US foreign policy, especially when their party wasn't even the majority at the time.  LMAO. 

True but Mccain made the media rounds red faced p***ed lobbying for support for an invasion. 

7 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

True but Mccain made the media rounds red faced p***ed lobbying for support for an invasion. 

Who cares?  He is a senator that I rarely agree with and had NOTHING  to do with this event as he had NO say in it.    How many democrat senators supported it?  All?   So what.  Did the senate even vote on this?  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Who cares?  He is a senator that I rarely agree with and had NOTHING  to do with this event as he had NO say in it.    How many democrat senators supported it?  All?   So what.  Did the senate even vote on this?  

Of course not, theyre just cheerleaders to keep us entertained while the intelligence agencies do whatever the hell they want. Fact is though he was all kinds of passionate about it so its not really fair to frame it as a partisan issue. 

MERC14 is only interested in partisan politics, not a real discussion. Blaming everything on the dems while ignoring that his party has been pushing for far worst policies in the region and that Bush is the one who instigated much of the disorder who see there today.

33 minutes ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

MERC14 is only interested in partisan politics, not a real discussion.

BS, you're attacking him merely because of two things, 1) he's not posting what you want to read, and 2) he's right.

Blaming everything on the dems while ignoring that his party has been pushing for far worst policies in the region and that Bush is the one who instigated much of the disorder who see there today.

It has been the dems in power the last 8 years.  The problems have been happening in a slightly less time frame of that.  Why be so dense, why stick your head in the ground and pretend it's otherwise?

You're only interested in partisan politics, and especially only when you can blame Bush...by the way, Bush isn't POTUS right now.

I'm seriously laughing at you for falling back to the usual "Blame Bush" tactic.

BTW, even if your fantasy world were a reality, and this is all the evil Bush's fault, then why hasn't Obama and his heroic forces of good fixed things?  Why have they gotten WORSE then?

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard
  • Like 5