Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

6 Infamous Witch Trials in History

rashore

Although the persecution of alleged witches took place in Christian Europe during the medieval period, it reached its peak during the religious wars of the 16th and 17th centuries. In that period, laws in many Catholic and Protestant countries brutally enforced the belief that witchcraft was the work of the devil.

Historians estimate that between 40,000 and 60,000 people were executed for witchcraft in Europe and the American colonies from the 15th to the early 18th centuries, and up to 75 percent of the victims were women. Here are six of the most infamous witch trials in Europe and the United States.

http://www.livescience.com/55431-infamous-witch-trials-in-history.html

• Like 4

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 3:00 PM, hetrodoxly said:

No mention of the Pendle witches?

I would have thought the Pendle Witches would have been the most famous of all the witch trials.

Me and my mate went for a walk up Pendle Hill in 2010. It's a spooky place, even in broad daylight.

On 24/07/2016 at 6:35 PM, Black Monk said:

I would have thought the Pendle Witches would have been the most famous of all the witch trials.

Me and my mate went for a walk up Pendle Hill in 2010. It's a spooky place, even in broad daylight.

It's the most famous i know of.