Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man Pokes Great White

OverSword

Young surfer Brett Levington was doing some spearfishing with three mates off the coast of Cape Moreton, Queensland, when a four-metre, a.k.a. very big, great white shark swam right for them.  

Brett, who incidentally sounds like a total legend, told the Gold Coast Bulletin he probably would’ve been toast, had he not shoved the animal in the head with his unloaded spear. 

Read the rest

• Like 5

One of my favorite close encounters ... yerps ... Gold Coast again ... Tiger this time ~

~

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, third_eye said:

One of my favorite close encounters ... yerps ... Gold Coast again ... Tiger this time ~

Whadda bunch of wusses. :lol: I love sharks ad would give anything to see them up close.

• Like 4

Just now, Clair said:

Whadda bunch of wusses. :lol: I love sharks ad would give anything to see them up close.

not when they sneak up on you with the teeth first  ... :lol:

~

• Like 3

Just now, third_eye said:

~

Admittedly I'd be a tad startled. Okay maybe scared ****less. But then I'd want to hug them.

• Like 3

I fear to introduce you to 'Dolly' the Great White :

~

~

:yes:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I fear to introduce you to 'Dolly' the Great White

I guess when I imagined them like Flipper, I imagined them wrong. :lol:

Ew5sZp0.jpg?1

• Like 3

On 7/23/2016 at 1:45 AM, Clair said:

I did, I remember when in my late teens I was surfing right of Surfers Paradise, sitting out past the backbreak waiting for a set to come through just sitting on the boards talking to my mate, when a huge shoal of mullet swam between us, we looked at each other amazed at the sight just as as a great white stuck his big head out of the water between us after them.

Had you been there, you would have seen me walking on water that day! I was so spooked I did not surf for another two weeks!!!

One other time, same spot, I was using the rip to get past the backbreak, and paddling out, as I put my hand down into the water, I felt it scrape along this rough thing, I looked down and saw this huge black shape move ahead of me - I had just patted a massive shark! No idea what sort it was, me walking on water again......

Always been OK with that, I can walk on water, but I stagger on the liquor......

• Like 4

4 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I did, I remember when in my late teens I was surfing right of Surfers Paradise, sitting out past the backbreak waiting for a set to come through just sitting on the boards talking to my mate, when a huge shoal of mullet swam between us, we looked at each other amazed at the sight just as as a great white stuck his big head out of the water between us after them.

Had you been there, you would have seen me walking on water that day! I was so spooked I did not surf for another two weeks!!!

One other time, same spot, I was using the rip to get past the backbreak, and paddling out, as I put my hand down into the water, I felt it scrape along this rough thing, I looked down and saw this huge black shape move ahead of me - I had just patted a massive shark! No idea what sort it was, me walking on water again......

Always been OK with that, I can walk on water, but I stagger on the liquor......

Oh wow. I can understand why patting a massive shark would be a tad too close for comfort. Still I envy you the experience.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Wow - just how lucky were you guys Psyche. I hope you bought a lottery ticket that day :tu:

Speaking of our beautiful water babies - I guess you've heard that Migaloo is now cruising up our coast line ? 

Gorgeous :wub:....I just hope the tourists and other boaties don't get to close to him and the other whales with him. I guess Sea World will probably keep tabs on that.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/lifestyle/pets-and-wildlife/gold-coast-white-whale-excites-relieves-and-sparked-debate-among-experts/news-story/eca514a59ae7dba69ab258a0412b4e53

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 2

On 22/07/2016 at 4:47 PM, third_eye said:

Absolutely ridiculous!

How on earth could a great white sneak up on anyone with that dramatic John Williams score playing in the background! :unsure2:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Clair said:

Oh wow. I can understand why patting a massive shark would be a tad too close for comfort. Still I envy you the experience.

In hindsight - sounds OK, at the time..... not so much......

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Astra. said:

Wow - just how lucky were you guys Psyche. I hope you bought a lottery ticket that day :tu:

I think I spent the rest of the afternoon re counting limbs, toes fingers........ just in case......

But yeah, I should have!

16 hours ago, Astra. said:

Speaking of our beautiful water babies - I guess you've heard that Migaloo is now cruising up our coast line ? 

Gorgeous :wub:....I just hope the tourists and other boaties don't get to close to him and the other whales with him. I guess Sea World will probably keep tabs on that.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/lifestyle/pets-and-wildlife/gold-coast-white-whale-excites-relieves-and-sparked-debate-among-experts/news-story/eca514a59ae7dba69ab258a0412b4e53

I would expect so, they do watch them better than I realised. I would love to head out for a look one of these years, always say "This Year I am doing the Whales" but it always seems to slip past.....

Have you been on one of the sea World Whale Watching boats by any chance? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Have you been on one of the sea World Whale Watching boats by any chance? 

No - actually I'm not a great believer in the tour boats. Idk, I just don't like seeing these beautiful majestic creatures come through while a lot of ogling tourists gasp and gah and carry on whilst elbowing each other to take pictures. I did see a pod come through (from land) some years back at Cape Byron. It was really nice....but having a set of your own binoculars is advised :)