Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dingoes being released to kill feral goats

Still Waters

A Queensland council is releasing dingoes onto a Great Barrier Reef island to kill feral goats that are destroying its endangered ecosystem.

The four wild dogs, two of which have already been released on Pelorus Island, will not have a chance to become pests themselves, as they have been implanted with a time-activated poison, Hinchinbrook Shire Council said.

"As a council we have an obligation as the trustees of this land, the custodians of this land, to control or eradicate pests," council Mayor Ramon Jayo said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-23/dingoes-set-to-become-pelorus-island-environmental-saviour/7652424

• Like 1

"So the plan is [the] dingoes wipe out goats [then] we come back and humanely shoot those dingoes because they'll have tracking collars so we can find where they go.

Humanely indeed... Poor doggies.

• Like 3

Seems to me that it would take quite a while for even four dingos to kill 300+ goats. How many goats does a dingo kill in a week? Maybe two or three a week to feed all four dingos. That would take two years at that rate.

What I'd suggest is advertising this issue in the US as a goat shooting vacation. Likely you'd get hundreds of people who would want to come to Australia, and willing to pay the airfare, housing and licenses and such themselves, in order to go on a rugged island goat hunting trip for maybe 3 to 7 days.

I find it hard to believe that 300 goats on four square miles are impossible to root out by way of hunting.

EDIT: Oh, I guess the article did say the poison was set for two years. I hope the math is correct, otherwise the same problem will come back if even a handful of goats survive.

Edited by DieChecker

I have my doubts about this idea, I'd say whatever damage these goats can do, they have already done it, having been there since the mid 1800's. The dingoes will likely predate other species beside the goats. And they could be dangerous to campers and visitors.

I have seen the damage wrought by these goats on offshore islands of Queensland, mainly evident as severe erosion, but removing the goats is not really a fix, the erosion gullies still erode .

• Like 1

It's all rather harsh, sending in poisoned dingoes to kill the goats. Whether it works as intended remains to be seen but it's not a good result for either of them.

• Like 7

I don't understand why they just don't go in and cull the goats (not that I condone shooting animals) but it's quicker and solves the problem much earlier. They say they can't shoot them because of rough terrain ? Well they certainly don't hesitate to cull kangaroos - feral camels - wild boars - rabbits and dingo's in this country by shooting them. I also think it's very cruel what they have done to these dingo's....by using a time activated poison for when the two years are up. That could mean a very slow and painful death. I wonder what the animal libertarian's are going to say about this ?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Habitat said:

I have seen the damage wrought by these goats on offshore islands of Queensland, mainly evident as severe erosion, but removing the goats is not really a fix, the erosion gullies still erode .

I hit the bees hive, bee hit me and now i have big wound on my arm.

Solution to this problem is :

a. stop being dumb and do not play with bee hives

b. destroy all bee's in the world

I guess we all know what would this 'dingo crew' do. :)

5 minutes ago, Astra. said:

I don't understand why they just don't go in and cull the goats (not that I condone shooting animals) but it's quicker and solves the problem much earlier. They say they can't shoot them because of rough terrain ? Well they certainly don't hesitate to cull kangaroos - feral camels - wild boars - rabbits and dingo's in this country by shooting them. I also think it's very cruel what they have done to these dingo's....by using a time activated poison for when the two years are up. That could mean a very slow and painful death. I wonder what the animal libertarian's are going to say about this ?

Well, since there were Emu wars in the region this logic does not surprise me at all. Poor animals, they have us at the top of the food chain.

6 minutes ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

Well, since there were Emu wars in the region this logic does not surprise me at all. Poor animals, they have us at the top of the food chain.

Yes - apparently they went all out 'rambo' style with the big brave Royal Australian Artillery to eradicate these poor birds. It's pathetic. 

1 minute ago, Astra. said:

Yes - apparently they went all out 'rambo' style with the big brave Royal Australian Artillery to eradicate these poor birds. It's pathetic. 

Totally pathetic, at first i was sure it was part of comedy show or something.. Then there is the meat industry ( i have to mention it here lol ), as icing on the cake of human cruelty and dumbness. Poor dogs, serving to die.

• Like 2

I am not sure if I should go with a Logan's Run or Running Man joke, but dog's with death already designed into their lives.....dingo bombs....suicide mutts....it is all a bit strange to wrap my exhausted mind around at this point in time.

• Like 2

Dingoes are opportunistic and non specialized in diet ... probably be feasting on the smaller mammals, reptiles then the birds, eggs and chickies till they are gone before chasing down goats ~

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bubblykiss said:

I am not sure if I should go with a Logan's Run or Running Man joke, but dog's with death already designed into their lives.....dingo bombs....suicide mutts....it is all a bit strange to wrap my exhausted mind around at this point in time.

It sounds quite fiendish in its conception. I suspect it will get into the news, and create a stir. 

• Like 2

And don't these two wallabies look proud of themselves ? - the ones who are leading the fieldwork for the council.

7653166_3x2_700x467.jpg

I feel like slapping the grin off their faces........

Yes, it creates an uneasy feeling. I may have a suspicious mind, but the first thing that came to my mind when I read this story is an image of public servants inventing a problem to keep themselves in a job. Happens all the time. If the goats have been there 150 years, the issue is hardly a pressing one.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The govt has shut this program down after being inundated with complaints from the public. There are also concerns that rare ground-nesting birds would be at risk from the dingoes. Sounds like a shambles to me !

• Like 2

Yes - I'm not surprised that it was stopped. And I'm glad it was.

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 1

That government should pay us, the regulars here ...

~

• Like 1