Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scribbles in Leonardo da Vinci's notebook

jethrofloyd

Researchers find 'irrelevant' scribbles in Leonardo da Vinci's notebook actually reveal the moment he first recorded the laws of friction

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3703588/Researchers-irrelevant-scribbles-Leonardo-da-Vinci-s-notebook-actually-reveal-moment-recorded-laws-friction.html#ixzz4FFZzFFdP

Professor Ian Hutchings from the University of Cambridge was the expert to realize there is more to these scribbles than what was first believed. Hutchings describes them in his study, which illustrates 'three square blocks being pulled to the left by a string which asses over a pulley and from which a circular weight is suspended.'

• Like 7

nice article and a good read . I wonder how this diagram of friction was missed for so long, if you don't know what to look for you will over look it ? 

• Like 1

A brilliant mind. Once a mind is opened up to understanding, there is no bounds to what it can learn.

• Like 2

I've always been fascinated with DaVinci. In fact I'd say he is definitely in all of history the most interesting man in the world and maybe the smartest who ever lived and was also an unprecedented visionary and futurist. It seems there is nothing he did not have an understanding of or an interest in. 

• Like 2

As if anything this man did was irrelevant. Who will even know the names of the ones who made this assessment in a hundred years?

• Like 2