Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Pack" mentality

pallidin

So, for weeks I have been walking by a precious dog from a distant neighbor's house.

All was good!!! Wagging it's tail and so forth.

Then , they got another dog that barks at the slightest breeze.

Now, the first dog, when around the other, displays "viciousness"

Alone, it does not do that. and is gentle with me.

Do humans do this as well?

• Like 3

It could be that the first dog is stressed when the other is around. Or it could be barking  to keep you back and away as a way of protecting you from the other dog. I don't know for certain as I have never owned a dog and am not familiar with their various behaviors. As for humans, yes. It's called peer pressure. Some also take on the overall behavior of the 'pack' because there is safety within it. A person who would not accost you whilst on his own for fear of reprisal, for example, would not have that same fear if the pack had his six.

• Like 3

Definitely a pack trait.

We have 3 dogs from the same litter, all females. They are 5 now, and since birth "the runt" has been picked on relentlessly by her sisters when they are all together...but when one on one, all past transgressions are forgotten, and it's a "kissy kissy" fest. LOL

• Like 3

4 hours ago, pallidin said:

In most cases yes we do. We see it in many aspects with human behaviour such as sporting events - religious gatherings - episodes of mob violence and everyday decision-making - judgement and opinion-forming.

I think basically - humans feel a strong need to belong to a 'herd' per se....such as those who are like-minded or simply feel the need to 'fit in' somewhere.

For example - it's quite common with people who bully another / or others - (schools..the work place etc..) they feel more secure and braver in a 'pack'. Split the herd or pack up - they feel more vulnerable and weak - but oddly enough...are probably much nicer people / or person when the 'pack' aren't there to influence in a negative way.

I suppose also is why we / or most humans have family - others we can belong to..and share a bond with....with those we care about.

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, pallidin said:

So, for weeks I have been walking by a precious dog from a distant neighbor's house.

All was good!!! Wagging it's tail and so forth.

Then , they got another dog that barks at the slightest breeze.

Now, the first dog, when around the other, displays "viciousness"

Alone, it does not do that. and is gentle with me.

Of course they do. That's how politicians get support.

• Like 3

dogs are funny creatures, my neighbour's labrador is super friendly toward me while the neighbour is home, but very wary of me when they are out !

7 hours ago, Habitat said:

dogs are funny creatures, my neighbour's labrador is super friendly toward me while the neighbour is home, but very wary of me when they are out !

When pack leader is home all is well (no need for them to be on guard). When pack leader is away the responsibility to guard is now on the dog. Dogs take their pack responsibility very seriously.

• Like 8

Icecream, rock candy, and cheese burglers will make any dog your friend. :lol: I've trained many dogs that weren't mine. :D

jmccr8

Don't use the sugary treats (not good for dogs) but cheeseburgers are just fine. Be advised though, most dogs are smart and their 'friendship' may only last as long as that treat does! Better to put in a little effort and become buddies based on more than their stomach.

• Like 1

Hi Lily,

I used to live in an area where there were guard dogs at several of the busnesses. I would watch which way the wind was and if they couldn't smell me I would whistle and call before they could see me,ask them if they were watching the yard and tell them good boys,give them a treat on occasion so they would remember my scent on their treat. I was once on the street when three of them had got out,they chased people, attacked cars stopped at the lights. One of them was shot and killed and the other two got away, they never bothered me in any way.  I always talk to animals I don't know and have had little difficulty with them, I don't have a pet I spend too much time at work and wouldn't treat an animal to such isolation.

jmccr8

On 24-7-2016 at 4:44 AM, Astra. said:

In most cases yes we do. We see it in many aspects with human behaviour such as sporting events - religious gatherings - episodes of mob violence and everyday decision-making - judgement and opinion-forming.

I think basically - humans feel a strong need to belong to a 'herd' per se....such as those who are like-minded or simply feel the need to 'fit in' somewhere.

For example - it's quite common with people who bully another / or others - (schools..the work place etc..) they feel more secure and braver in a 'pack'. Split the herd or pack up - they feel more vulnerable and weak - but oddly enough...are probably much nicer people / or person when the 'pack' aren't there to influence in a negative way.

I suppose also is why we / or most humans have family - others we can belong to..and share a bond with....with those we care about.

Always hated that phenomenon with a passion. Thesame sort of behaviour is often in effect if any individual goes against a generally accepted consensus relating to any given subject. Were not only herd animals, were self correcting herd animals. We keep eachother in check, and if one falls out of line, goes against the consensus; the group attacks said individual like little schoolyard bullies. Often trying to assasinate the character of such an 'apostate' with the most agressive, irrational, infantile content. Otherwise open and kind people suddenly revert into a 'schoolyard pack'. The human psyche and group dynamics are fascinating subjects.

• Like 1