Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What If the Moon disappeared tomorrow?

jethrofloyd

What If the Moon disappeared tomorrow?

http://www.livescience.com/55477-what-if-the-moon-disappeared.html

Ah, yes, the moon. To it, over it, shooting for it. Blue, green. Pies, faces, shines, lighting. And I haven't even gotten to all the Luna-based concepts. Earth's moon plays a significant role in our culture, language and thoughts.But does it … you know … matter? If it disappeared in the blink of an eye tomorrow (and for discussion's sake let's assume it does so nonviolently), would we even notice? Would we even care?

• Like 4

One of the prettiest things for me was the glisten of a full moon over the harbor. I would stare at it for as long as I could when I was little. If the moon were to disappear, that's what I would miss most. But at least we know its disappearance wouldn't hurt us in this lifetime, apart from feeling a little sad over its departure.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Clair said:

But at least we know its disappearance wouldn't hurt us in this lifetime, apart from feeling a little sad over its departure.

It would hurt us very very quickly. As tides would not happen anymore, huge floodings would destroy coastline areas and due to the Earth`s spin the water would concentrate near the equator, resulting into an accelaration of the spin, means the days are getting shorter and just these 2 facts (out of various) will change the clima and life essential.

More

• Like 4

1 hour ago, toast said:

It would hurt us very very quickly. As tides would not happen anymore, huge floodings would destroy coastline areas and due to the Earth`s spin the water would concentrate near the equator, resulting into an accelaration of the spin, means the days are getting shorter and just these 2 facts (out of various) will change the clima and life essential.

More

The impression I got from the articles, yours included, is that whilst changes would occur, they would not severely endanger our existence.  Just the same I agree with your points, some effects will be immediate, others more significantly longer term. But nothing that will kill us.

• Like 1

Dancing naked under a moonless night sky just ain't the same ...

~

• Like 4

Not to mention the many good songs  - poems - story's - children's story's - wonderful quotes etc...

How empty our night sky and our lives would be without the beautiful moon.

Also - there would never have been the first moon landing. 

• Like 2

Many mammals and reptiles phase by the moon.  Breeding cycles would be thrown off.    Somebody mentioned tides, they are also one system of nutrient mixing in the water column.  Coastal environments especially at river mouths would change radically.  Salt water / fresh water mixing would not be the same, some biomes adapted to it would fail.  We would still have heat and wind driven currents so the ocean would not be totally still, so I cannot say how much marine life would be affected.

• Like 1

And there would never have been the greatest album of all time The Dark Side Of The Moon B)

Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, toast said:

More

smaller tides.  the sun causes tides too.

Edited by danielost
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, danielost said:

smaller tides.  the sun causes tides to.

Good point ! I seem to recall the sun has more influence than the moon, but that could be wrong.

Edited by Habitat

you others have it wrong too.   if the moon disappeared tomorrow,  the moon landings would still have taken place yesterday.  so would have all the moon songs and all the poems and stories.  they just wouldn't have much meaning.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Good point ! I seem to recall the sun has more influence than the moon, but that could be wrong.

about the same.

33 minutes ago, danielost said:

smaller tides.  the sun causes tides to.

Thats correct.

On 7/25/2016 at 7:14 AM, Habitat said:

On 7/25/2016 at 7:21 AM, danielost said:

about the same.

The sun's tidal influence on the earth is just less than half of that of the moon's.