Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New metal is four times tougher than titanium

UM-Bot

Next step 

Wolverine_(vol._1)_1.jpg

• Like 4

Sounds expensive.......

• Like 1

Wow. The advancements in material sciences just blows me away.

• Like 1

i vaguely remember reading about that mixture somewhere, some space fiction book.

12 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Next step 

Wolverine_(vol._1)_1.jpg

no, you would need the healing power of him too.

10 hours ago, Zalmoxis said:

I'm surprised they hadn't already discovered this alloy.

what and waste gold

maybe this way we get a little closer to Sitchin's theory about Sumerians and the reason they created humanity. Sitchin said years ago that they needed workers to mine gold for them very much required in their space saga.

• Like 1

The original scientific article is available here (free to read). As always, it pays to at least take a look at the article before jumping to assumptions...

This new alloy is definitely not the hardest material or even the hardest metal. (The scientific article points out that common ceramics like boron nitride and tungsten carbide are harder, as is high-carbon steel.)

The major significance of this finding is that the new alloy (b-Ti3Au) is bio-compatible: Human bone will tightly bond to it and titanium and gold are non-toxic. Pure titanium is currently used in joint replacements, but pure titanium is not strong enough to withstand long-term use. This new material is a potential fix for that problem.

16 hours ago, Zalmoxis said:

I'm surprised they hadn't already discovered this alloy.

Me too. References 25 to 28 in the paper describe Ti+Au research dating back to 1989. While I suspect the 3:1 ratio was previously tried, perhaps the earlier approaches did not use the same arc-melting synthesis approach, or had problems with sample purity, or perhaps they were just investigating different aspects (electrical or thermal conductivity, ductility, etc.).

• Like 4

If I recall correctly,. Sitchin's Nibblers needed gold to put into the atmosphere of Nibiru so that for the 3599 years that the planet spent hiding in the very farthest depths of the solar system, way, way, way beyond Pluto, it didn't get slightly chilly at night  :lol::rofl:

(how putting gold in the atmosphere provides the universe's most effecting insulation ever has never been explained.  But that's sci-fi for you .....)

Interesting since Gold is soft..wonder how it compares to Graphene or Carbyne?

8 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

maybe this way we get a little closer to Sitchin's theory about Sumerians and the reason they created humanity. Sitchin said years ago that they needed workers to mine gold for them very much required in their space saga.

Apart from the fairly major detail that Sitchin's entire story is made up. 

I use the word story instead of theory on purpose. A theory requires verifiable evidence. Sitchin had none.

4 hours ago, Goodf3llow said:

Interesting since Gold is soft..wonder how it compares to Graphene or Carbyne?

Graphene isn't a hard material. Graphene has a high tensile strength when the sheet is pulled, but is also brittle and will crack easily if the sheet is folded.

As far as I know, carbyne is a functional group and not a material.

Slipknot are definitely at least four times tougher than titanium, Linkin Park not so much...

Ohh, hang on... Science & Technology...

Nothing to see here, moving on... :whistle:

• Like 1