Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump fashion not manufactured in the US

questionmark

One of the people at the Republican National Convention who received praise from all corners was Donald Trump’s daughter Ivanka.

People liked her sharp comments, and admired her stylish line of clothes, which she highlighted during her performances. When she tweeted a link the morning after delivering a speech about how her father would fight for America, the $139 (£106) pink dress she had worn sold out online.

Yet many will be surprised to learn that the vast majority of Ms Trump’s clothes are not manufactured in US, but in China and Vietnam, two countries under the spotlight for human rights abuses and poor labour conditions. Some of the items are labelled simply as “imported".

Read more on The Independent

Do as I say and not do as I do?

• Like 2

How much do you think that same dress would cost if it was made in the USA?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ZZ430 said:

And that is precisely the reason the Donald lies to you when he seez he will bring jobs back.

He knows now already that US manufacturing can't compete with China.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ZZ430 said:

How much would it cost, as in cost the manufacturer? Or how much would it cost the consumer? Those can be two very different things.

Some information about manufacturing costs.

US assessment on labor costs: http://acetool.commerce.gov/labor-costs

A Bloomberg Report article from 2014: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-04-25/china-vs-dot-the-u-dot-s-dot-its-just-as-cheap-to-make-goods-in-the-usa

A CNN article from 2013: http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/02/world/asia/bangladesh-us-tshirt/

So if it would cost the manufacturer more is iffy- depends on the product, and which countries are being utilized.

It would indeed cost the consumer more if it was made in the U.S.. Because companies big enough to really make an impact by utilizing U.S. workforces cheaply enough to matter are also probably the ones that would be most likely to upcharge for the Made in the USA label- effectively pocketing greater profit due to cheaper home labor, the ability to use the label, and the willingness of the public to pay more for Made in the USA goods. And companies that are smaller just often can't keep up with the massive quantity price breaks that the big companies can do, and so smaller companies often end up more expensive.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, questionmark said:

And that is precisely the reason the Donald lies to you when he seez he will bring jobs back.

and he knows exactly why it does not pay to manufacture in usa, and he'll be in a position to change that, btw out of anyone here you are the last person to call anyone liar, you know exactly what i''m talking about.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, aztek said:

and he knows exactly why it does not pay to manufacture in usa, and he'll be in a position to change that,

you mean you are volunteering to work for a sack of rice a month?

Edit: and no, if somebody will be able to change that at all it will be Congress.

Edited by questionmark

When I read the republican platform the other day, I noticed a plank on intellectual property and the whole stink about China stealing ideas and not paying royalties or credit.  But even before the convention was even over there was already a stink about the Republicans stealing music for their themes without permission or paying royalties.  

They really need to start practicing what they preach if they are expecting anyone to trust them to solve problems they, themselves engage in.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

When I read the republican platform the other day, I noticed a plank on intellectual property and the whole stink about China stealing ideas and not paying royalties or credit.  But even before the convention was even over there was already a stink about the Republicans stealing music for their themes without permission or paying royalties.  

They really need to start practicing what they preach if they are expecting anyone to trust them to solve problems they, themselves engage in.

Yes and.. hasn't this music theft been going on for a while, and across party lines? Or at least I could swear I remember several stinks over the past decade or two all the way around. I'm not trying to justify or deny anything.. honestly trying to remember who all got stunk because there have been a few.

And ohhh, can you share that platform link please? I'm not sure if I've seen it before or not.

• Like 1

You have to get the full platform pdf from GOP.com.  Intellectual rights is on page 15.  The platform listed on the site itself is a cleaned up shortened version, whereas the full PDF seems to be the actual convention notes.  They left a lot of things out on the website version.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

You have to get the full platform pdf from GOP.com.  Intellectual rights is on page 15.  The platform listed on the site itself is a cleaned up shortened version, whereas the full PDF seems to be the actual convention notes.  They left a lot of things out on the website version.

Thank you :tu:

1 hour ago, questionmark said:

I wasn't asking a political question. It would be nice if a thread actually stayed open.

Edited by ZZ430
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rashore said:

How much would it cost, as in cost the manufacturer? Or how much would it cost the consumer? Those can be two very different things.

Some information about manufacturing costs.

US assessment on labor costs: http://acetool.commerce.gov/labor-costs

A Bloomberg Report article from 2014: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-04-25/china-vs-dot-the-u-dot-s-dot-its-just-as-cheap-to-make-goods-in-the-usa

A CNN article from 2013: http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/02/world/asia/bangladesh-us-tshirt/

So if it would cost the manufacturer more is iffy- depends on the product, and which countries are being utilized.

It would indeed cost the consumer more if it was made in the U.S.. Because companies big enough to really make an impact by utilizing U.S. workforces cheaply enough to matter are also probably the ones that would be most likely to upcharge for the Made in the USA label- effectively pocketing greater profit due to cheaper home labor, the ability to use the label, and the willingness of the public to pay more for Made in the USA goods. And companies that are smaller just often can't keep up with the massive quantity price breaks that the big companies can do, and so smaller companies often end up more expensive.

Thank you for a sensible, informative reply.

• Like 3

If Trump bring back our own manufacturing jobs of clothing,we wont have to worry about  highering over seas

Trump's been asked about this a number of times. His usual answer is that it's because they don't make that stuff in the US. It's partly true, but not entirely. About 97-98% of all apparel and shoes are made overseas, so some stuff is made domestically, including some of his. Companies like Brooks Brothers, for example, are reshoring their manufacturing back to the US. Not sure if the Trumps will do the same, but he's right in that it won't be cost competitive.

Source article for anyone who's interested: http://www.factcheck.org/2016/05/trumps-made-in-the-u-s-a-spin/

• Like 1

everyone knows crocks, right, they go from 15 to 35 bucks, they are made in Mexico and China, and contract manufacturers in Italy, Romania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Vietnam, China and Argentina (Saladillo).

walmart selss similar shoes, for around 10, that are made in usa. how is that possible? lol

Edited by aztek

Check the tags on the clothes in your closets people....I bet 99% are NOT made in the U.S.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, skliss said:

Check the tags on the clothes in your closets people....I bet 99% are NOT made in the U.S.

you're right , it is not, we do not want to pay 300 for pair of simple jeans, that we pay 50 now. may be if there was not as many politicians milking businesses in form of taxes, regulation\ unions, we would have it made in usa.

we see many foreign car manufacturers build factories here, yet big 3 moves their to other countries, more and more, how can Japanese and Germans do it here when ford, gm, ... can not? UAW

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

These car companies pay Mexicans about $75 a week, I don't see how US companies can compete with that even without unions.  Its the same with any manufacturing, slave labor is hard to compete with.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/workers-may-be-losers-in-mexicos-car-boom/2015/06/17/03da0a96-ee7f-11e4-8050-839e9234b303_story.html

• Like 1

but they do compeate, and win, in price, and reliability, resale value,...etc.   honda, hyundai, nissan, bmw, mb, subary, vw, and few more,  made in usa, with few model exceptions.

they do not have uaw up theirs, that is the reason. they pay their workers on  avarige  30\hr

Edited by aztek

13 hours ago, aztek said:

you're right , it is not, we do not want to pay 300 for pair of simple jeans, that we pay 50 now. may be if there was not as many politicians milking businesses in form of taxes, regulation\ unions, we would have it made in usa.

we see many foreign car manufacturers build factories here, yet big 3 moves their to other countries, more and more, how can Japanese and Germans do it here when ford, gm, ... can not? UAW

Well, Volkswagen invited UAW... the workers did not want them.

good for workers. i have no doubt uaw made attractive offer to management to be invited, no one invites cancer voluntarily.

• Like 1

And I'm sure they get some incentives to base operations here while U.S. companies just get taxed and regulated up the wahzoo.

Which is really weird considering that both Japan and Germany have unions.  What's even weirder is that the relationship with the unions in those countries are non-adversarial compared to what we have here in the US.

you can not compare those unions and uaw.  the medical payments that big 3 have to make to retired workers prbly do not exist in germany or japan, their entire health care is totaly different, they also most likely do not keep workers who got caught smoking pot on the job, uaw does not allow fire these, and others who fk up bad.

Behind the UAW “health care co-op” scam.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2015/10/16/coop-o16.html

6 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Which is really weird considering that both Japan and Germany have unions.  What's even weirder is that the relationship with the unions in those countries are non-adversarial compared to what we have here in the US.

Simple, they didn't need the UAW. The raise the union was fighting for wouldn't even pay the dues. The employees already had every benefit they could have expected if they had been unionized.