Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

10 Epic Battles that Changed History

rashore

The things that I would be most interested in are the little things that have gone unnoticed historically that have radically changed the future.  The unknown serendipitous and unfortunate events that lead up to major decisions of those actually in power.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wickian said:

The things that I would be most interested in are the little things that have gone unnoticed historically that have radically changed the future.  The unknown serendipitous and unfortunate events that lead up to major decisions of those actually in power.

Those events happen every moment of every day. People imagine how different the world would be, if say, Hitler was killed on the Western Front. There are billions of 'ifs' in history, any one of which could have virtually completely changed the world, to the extent that no-one who is alive today, would ever have been born. Would you or I have been born if a shell had hit Hitler's trench ? I don't think so.

Another important battle: Subutai (1175 - 1248), a Mongol general under Genghis and Ogedei Khan. He defeated the armies of Hungary and Poland and planned to conquer Europe. In 1241 Ogedei Khan died, and the Princes withdrew the army to Mongolia to select a new Great Khan. I think if Ogedei hadn't died, the Mongolians could well have conquered Europe, as the Kings of the European countries had sent their best armies to defeat the Mongols in Poland, only to be defeated. But for the death of Ogedie Khan, we'd all be speaking Mongolian right now.. 

Some of the info came from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subutai

• Like 2

I would add ...

1683 AD - The Siege of Vienna... The Ottoman Empire was turned back from conquering large parts of Europe..

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Wickian said:

I think the battle of Midway exemplifies that.  It definitely broke the back of Japan as a naval power.

• Like 2

Just now, and then said:

I think the battle of Midway exemplifies that.  It definitely broke the back of Japan as a naval power.

I don't think the Midway battle was a "little thing that went unnoticed" though !

• Like 1

No Battle of Britain. Disgraceful. Had Britain lost the Battle of Britain then Germany would likely have won the war.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

No Battle of Britain. Disgraceful. Had Britain lost the Battle of Britain then Germany would likely have won the war.

I similarly thought it a glaring omission. 

• Like 1

It wasn't a "battle" but Napoleons decision to Invade Russia, was a MAJOR turning point... Had he not done so, his army would have been totally intact and more than a match for any army or coalition of forces that other European nations could have fielded against him... No invasion of Russia - no Waterloo...