Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

religions sensitive to criticism

Ozfactor

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Clair, you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. I said a small minority of atheists in this forum. How do you construe that as painting all atheists with a broad brush?

I get the gist of her post, though. There are numerous members of UM who claim to be atheists, and I've seen how more than a minority of them tend to be pretty preachy about it. And try to use it to belittle other posters.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Clair, you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. I said a small minority of atheists in this forum. How do you construe that as painting all atheists with broad brush?

My reading comprehension skills are outstanding. It's the late hour. Yeah, that's it. Apologies for the misread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kmt_sesh said:

I get the gist of her post, though. There are numerous members of UM who claim to be atheists, and I've seen how more than a minority of them tend to be pretty preachy about it. And try to use it to belittle other posters.

Yeah, the same ones, over and over again. I agree with that part, too. I just hate being misunderstood when what I said was so obvious and clear.

4 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

I don't care for preachy on any spectrum. Your beliefs are your beliefs, so please enjoy them—but don't try to force them on others. I'm not an atheist but your view on this matches mine. I've known people who call themselves atheists but it seems more than a fad than the real thing. I think the only true atheist I ever met was when I was in basic training for the army. He mentioned it once in passing, and as I recall (this was about 6,000 years ago, mind you), he never brought it up again.

As the old joke goes: I admire atheists. It takes a lot of faith.

That's a good observation. I know a few so-called atheists whom I think truly believe or at the very least want to believe. Some might genuinely be sitting on the fence. And as the second true atheist you've met, I also agree on the preachy part. I don't even want to hear from other atheists.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I just hate being misunderstood when what I said was so obvious and clear.

We all do. My apology was genuine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ailill said:

when did i say i criticise others? youre talkin out your own ****, friend. 

seriously. its people like you that make me hate people.

I am sorry that my post made you feel like this and I apologise . sometimes I get a little bit carried away . there is so much hate in our world and I would feel terrible if I contributed to it x

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Michelle said:

The way you look, the way you live, your religion or lack thereof, the car you drive, where you shop, what you wear, how you raise your kids, how you decorate your house, etc, etc, etc,... 

Petty people, who have nothing better to do, will judge you constantly regardless.

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits."  Samuel Clemens

• Like 1

When I think of religion, I think of presents. One of the perks of growing up in a multi-cultural city is having friends from all cultures and religions whose parents always invited you over to celebrate religious and other holidays with them. So Christmas meant presents. Hanukkah meant presents. And so forth. No one shoved anything in my face apart from good food, a good time, and yeah, presents. I personally think it is okay to criticize a religion if it negatively impacts in some way, but to criticize a religion just to criticize it, is also criticizing the person who believes in it. Not good.

8 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

I don't care for preachy on any spectrum. Your beliefs are your beliefs, so please enjoy them—but don't try to force them on others. I'm not an atheist but your view on this matches mine. I've known people who call themselves atheists but it seems more than a fad than the real thing. I think the only true atheist I ever met was when I was in basic training for the army. He mentioned it once in passing, and as I recall (this was about 6,000 years ago, mind you), he never brought it up again.

As the old joke goes: I admire atheists. It takes a lot of faith.

Well said.  There are some on this site that I consider 'true atheist', they are calm in their responses and respectful.  Those that are not, well they are the same as Christians who need to damn, put down, and denigrate.  This points for me to a defensive stance that does not allow doubt to enter into their minds.  Doubt is a part of life, I 'doubt' anyone escapes this, some are more aware than others.  

Peace
Mark

12 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

I hadn't noticed; my recollection is that you are quite capable of considerable disrespect.  This is the illusion that we are basically "good.

I should have included a caveat...until someone gives me a good reason not to, I treat them with respect. When I can't take any more, I become a mirror of them.

Edited by Michelle
Not quite awake yet...

2 hours ago, Michelle said:

I should have included a caveat...until someone gives me a good reason not to, I treat them with respect. When I can't take any more, I become a mirror of them.

Rarely do the ones that love to dish it out care for a dose of their own medicine.

• Like 1

Religion does not take to being criticised. It is an uneducated and unsubstantiated look at the universe, followed by stated conclusions based on nothing whatsoever. As the decrees of various religions cannot be verified (and in many cases, have been outright disproven), there is no room for debate or criticism. You're either with them or you're against them. It should not be free from criticism, but as the majority of the world is religious, criticism of said religions is often seen as something that one should not do.

• Like 2