Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Against Marine Animals Enslavement

Krissyy

Marine wildlife at a young age is captured from their environment while their families watch, If they do anything it can lead into death of themselves or endangerment of their children. Their babies are sent around the world and placed into small tanks that they are starved to stay small enough to fit in. They are forced to perform for our amusement which is the only way they get fed. They are often abused by others of their own kind and by the trainers who work there who know little to nothing about the animals since they are only performers. These poor animals are forced to reproduce with their babies then being pulled from them they cry and call for their loved one as any loving mother would. Their babies are put into other tanks in the amusement park and many times are traded around the world. We are teaching generations that any type of animal abuse is okay and that any type of enslavement is acceptable. We can give these animals better homes and protect others from the depression of captivity life that no any deserves.

*snip*

Edited by rashore
removed content due to rule 1a, 1b

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dewlanna

• ChrLzs

• Krissyy

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree with some of what you are saying, the line, in my opinion, is rather greyish.  As a person who has had a long involvement with marine biology and aquaculture, I have a fairly good knowledge of what life is like in the wild.  Perhaps I know a little less about what goes on in marine parks, but I'm quite familiar with a couple of them and how they operate.

To be very specific on one of my pet topics, dolphins, I got to 'know' several large wild pods of them, right down to giving the more frequently encountered ones, names.  Often we picked the names to reflect the injuries, scars and missing/deformed body parts.  A lot of our work involved monitoring their health and without going into all the gory and sometimes sad detail..well, life is bloody hard for these animals in the wild.  Just as an example of the problems, one of the other species in that region was Carcharadon Carcharias... I trust you know who I'm talking about...

Anyway, compared to the life of those who live in a very well known and pretty highly regarded marine park not far from where I now live.. well, if it was me I'd be choosing the marine park.  The one I'm referring to has *huge* open water areas, some shallow, some deep, and then some performing areas.  I also personally know some of the trainers, and frankly, your comment about them knowing little to nothing is ignorant hogwash - two are qualified marine biologists, others are qualified marine veterinarians, and lovelier people you would not meet....  Also hogwash (at least at the marine park in question) is your claim about taking babies from their mothers - that never happens hereabouts.  These animals are incredibly healthy and well-looked after, and you really have to see how they do their training to see what an incredibly strong bond they develop with the dolphins and also what a positive and interesting environment it is, for both humans and dolphins.  While they can't actually talk to us (yet), they certainly don't need any encouragement to either train, or perform.  And I've never seen any sign of anger in any of the dolphins (which you *do* sometimes see in the wild).  Yes, there are treats (bribes, if you like), but they don't form a huge part of the process.  The marine park does a huge amount of good work, both in terms of education - there is no question that the average Joe in this region is much better informed about marine life, and also they operate an exceptionally good wild-rescue service, and often successfully rehabilitate injured animals back into the wild, as well as help out with whale strandings etc.  These people not only genuinely love and care about the whole marine environment, they are extremely well-qualified.

So, it's not black and white, and maybe you should refrain from using a broad brush to generalise and insult those who, I would wager, do much more to help marine life than your average animal rights activist...

BTW, welcome to UM.  It's just great to see your very first post is one trying to drum up support on a petition, rather than joining in the discussions.  Actually I'm being sarcastic - I'd suggest readers THINK about these topics more carefully, and do NOT just sign something that is simplistic and one-sided...

Edited by ChrLzs

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

While I agree with some of what you are saying, the line, in my opinion, is rather greyish.  As a person who has had a long involvement with marine biology and aquaculture, I have a fairly good knowledge of what life is like in the wild.  Perhaps I know a little less about what goes on in marine parks, but I'm quite familiar with a couple of them and how they operate.

To be very specific on one of my pet topics, dolphins, I got to 'know' several large wild pods of them, right down to giving the more frequently encountered ones, names.  Often we picked the names to reflect the injuries, scars and missing/deformed body parts.  A lot of our work involved monitoring their health and without going into all the gory and sometimes sad detail..well, life is bloody hard for these animals in the wild.  Just as an example of the problems, one of the other species in that region was Carcharadon Carcharias... I trust you know who I'm talking about...

Anyway, compared to the life of those who live in a very well known and pretty highly regarded marine park not far from where I now live.. well, if it was me I'd be choosing the marine park.  The one I'm referring to has *huge* open water areas, some shallow, some deep, and then some performing areas.  I also personally know some of the trainers, and frankly, your comment about them knowing little to nothing is ignorant hogwash - two are qualified marine biologists, others are qualified marine veterinarians, and lovelier people you would not meet....  Also hogwash (at least at the marine park in question) is your claim about taking babies from their mothers - that never happens hereabouts.  These animals are incredibly healthy and well-looked after, and you really have to see how they do their training to see what an incredibly strong bond they develop with the dolphins and also what a positive and interesting environment it is, for both humans and dolphins.  While they can't actually talk to us (yet), they certainly don't need any encouragement to either train, or perform.  And I've never seen any sign of anger in any of the dolphins (which you *do* sometimes see in the wild).  Yes, there are treats (bribes, if you like), but they don't form a huge part of the process.  The marine park does a huge amount of good work, both in terms of education - there is no question that the average Joe in this region is much better informed about marine life, and also they operate an exceptionally good wild-rescue service, and often successfully rehabilitate injured animals back into the wild, as well as help out with whale strandings etc.  These people not only genuinely love and care about the whole marine environment, they are extremely well-qualified.

So, it's not black and white, and maybe you should refrain from using a broad brush to generalise and insult those who, I would wager, do much more to help marine life than your average animal rights activist..

ChrLzs, what are your thoughts on killer whales in captivity?

Specifically I'm thinking of Morgan, in Loro Parque. There's a whole lot of evidence pointing to her leading a very miserable life since she was "rescued" and not returned to the wild as originally stated was the plan.

here's a link to more info, including photos etc. http://www.freemorgan.org

As I mentioned above, there's a whole lot of greyness in this - the situation I have knowledge of, namely dolphins in temperate regions along with the large and well-run marine park, means I can offer a pretty well informed coverage of that one..

However, my expertise is restricted to temperate species, of shark/dolphin size and smaller..  So I'm out of my depth (sorry!) and just making a wild guess about killer whales - I know little about what environment they need, so really, without doing many many hours of research, it's probably best for me to stay out of it.  But perhaps it would help if I mentioned a few things about dolphins that make them rather well suited for living in what you might call 'domesticated' conditions..

1. They are largely *not* deep diving animals, nor necessarily migratory, spending most of their time in relatively shallow waters. So while you need a fairly large environment, a suitable man-made area is not that diificult.

2. They are very social and intelligent animals, who are immensely adaptable and if anything, seem to seek out and enjoy the company of humans.  Obviously in a reasonable sized environment such as the one I was referring to, there is little difficulty in having plenty of other dolphins to interact with.

3. They are exceptionally clever and seem to love learning new stuff, which means they will very happily adapt to not only different environments and routines, but also to learn new 'tricks' (some of which are simply developments of their hunting techniques..).  When i used to take our research vessel out (so these were wild dolphins), there is absolutely no doubt that one large pod of local dolphins, as soon as they heard my engines, would actively seek us out to accompany us and surf our bow wave, along with their characteristic joyous leaps.  And there is little doubt in my mind that they would even recognise several of us - there were particular dolphins who would surf along right next to where we were standing, and make what looked exactly like eye contact - I wonder if they named us... They truly are wonderful animals to get to know..

Anyway, I think at least in some of those respects they are quite different to killer whales and perhaps Orca's needs/wants are a lot more difficult to fulfill...

Thanks for the reply. I'm still not convinced, but then again I'd rather zoo's and animal parks of any kind existed.. 

You should check out "the kayaking world of Nathan Pettigrew" on YouTube, he's got some amazing clips of kayaking with orcas and dolphins :) 

Here's one: