Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

foods you can eat without killing

danielost

21 minutes ago, Thanato said:

You cant avoid death in food production. Life eats Life.

Even if one only eats plants! :( 

I wrestle with this myself, whether to avoid meat or not. 

It seems to me that vegetarians choose their particular diet because they feel bad for the animals being killed/mistreated. I get this, nothing should be mistreated/abused. However killing for food is natural. There's (I'll try and find it) a video on youtube of a group of people in Africa watching a lioness hunt/goad a monkey. At first it's one lion then out of nowhere all the other lions jump in, it's really really brutal. Is this 'bad' or is our view of the world flawed? 

I think a counter argument could be that humans are the highest level of beings on the planet and therefore since we have the ability to sustain ourselves w/o killing then we should go that route. That's understandable, but I don't necessarily subscribe to that. Again, I think that argument generally comes from a place of emotion rather than critical thinking.

I don't mean to step on any toes and I know these topics get heated. This is just my line of thinking. I'm just a regular guy but I do read a lot about dieting and I adjust mine from time to time to see what makes me feel better. The paleo diet seems to work best for me so far. 

2 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Even if one only eats plants! :( 

Plants are living breathing creatures. They have natural defence mechanizms. 

Now some people do not belive that Plants are the same level of life that as fauna. Unless you pick your own plants by your own hand, fauna are killed and displaced. 

• Like 1

You could only eat meat that you find dead on the road, then you wouldn't be causing any harm to any living beings.  Also dumpster diving and grave robbing don't harm living beings.

I do not think there is any meat in hotdogs........... :innocent: .......

• Like 1

On 7/26/2016 at 4:57 AM, danielost said:

but, they would be anyways or end up the table if they don't lay or give milk.

Zoroastrianism has high ethical standards in regard to religious diet  laws ;  one should not 

eat any animal that is used for another purpose ; eggs, milk , etc  the animal has already given, it should be retired and left to a natural death.

No animal that has become like a pet should be eaten. 

No young or old animal. 

No cattle ,  no (strange to us but common back then ) horse or dog (all held sacred) .  

But otherwise .... tuck in folks ;

017eceb93d0e995d9f700f5303e1fd06.jpg

perzsakoszt-550.jpg

....  the bottom left ?   That noisy wild rooster rushed into my hen house and went for my hens !   (checks the Avestas ) ...... you'e gone buddy !

the bible agrees with the horse and dog as being unclean.

I agree with the pets part.

the egg laying chickens and old milk cows end up as dog or cat food.

My idea of a well-balanced meal is a steak and kidney pie in each hand!

So life is short.....but not short enough to try to extend it with a constant diet of garden clippings!

16 hours ago, danielost said:

the bible agrees with the horse and dog as being unclean.

No, the avesta does NOT say they are unclean !    I said they are sacred , not 'unclean'

Two opposite things entirely ! 

Their 'unclean foods' are 'noxious' animals , in habitat,  or in mythological stories. 

16 hours ago, danielost said:

I agree with the pets part.

the egg laying chickens and old milk cows end up as dog or cat food.

That creates angra manyu ... a 'bad mind / attitude'   and that will result in bad actions and eventually bad society.  if you get wool of a sheep and make your clothes and it helps you survive winter ... to  kill and eat that animal when it no longer has immediate use for you is barbaric. 

To love it and appreciate it for its contribution to the family unit and vara , it should be cared for, retired and rewarded ... just like you yourself would want to be.  To do this will create in yourself vouhu  manyu .... good mind / attitude and lead to good society. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ealdwita said:

My idea of a well-balanced meal is a steak and kidney pie in each hand!

So life is short.....but not short enough to try to extend it with a constant diet of garden clippings!

Kidneys eh ?     Dont they filter all the  waste products out of blood and turn it into urine ?     Yum  yum !  

A vegetarian goes into a  cafe ;   "What;s on special ."

Today sir, we have a beautiful braised ox tongue  in red wine sauce ."

"What! Thats disgusting, I am a vegetarian ... I am NOT going to eat something that came out of an animals mouth ..... just bring me a glass of milk and two boiled eggs instead . " 

;) 

• Like 3

Food that you can eat without killing?

Vegemite will save the world yet.

Vegemite.jpg

6 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Food that you can eat without killing?

Vegemite will save the world yet.

Vegemite.jpg

yeast is a living thing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, danielost said:

yeast is a living thing.

And it goes on living.

Vegemite is the only form of edible axle grease - beat that!!! 

Besides. most foreigners  dont know how to use vegemite. 

1.  butter some bread or toast 

2. dip a knife in the vegemite removing  small amount on the tip of the knife

3. Draw the side of the  knife across the rim of the jar scraping the bit on the knife back in the jar. Now the knife should have a thin  smear of vegemite on it . 

4. Wave the knife above the bread or toast a bit .

5. Wipe off the knife before it eats into the metal.

6. eat the bread or toast. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, back to earth said:

That creates angra manyu ... a 'bad mind / attitude'   and that will result in bad actions and eventually bad society.  if you get wool of a sheep and make your clothes and it helps you survive winter ... to  kill and eat that animal when it no longer has immediate use for you is barbaric. 

To love it and appreciate it for its contribution to the family unit and vara , it should be cared for, retired and rewarded ... just like you yourself would want to be.  To do this will create in yourself vouhu  manyu .... good mind / attitude and lead to good society. 

I believe very strongly that our attitude towards other life forms dictates how our human society manifests itself. Children, in the main, grow up believing that other life forms exist purely for our use and our pleasure. This is unhealthy and unnatural and leads to arrogance and a feeling of superiority ...... indeed, even to the point of feeling that humans are gods.

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

I believe very strongly that our attitude towards other life forms dictates how our human society manifests itself. Children, in the main, grow up believing that other life forms exist purely for our use and our pleasure. This is unhealthy and unnatural and leads to arrogance and a feeling of superiority ...... indeed, even to the point of feeling that humans are gods.

there was a cat who thought I was a god.  she brought her dead baby to me thinking I could bring it back to life.  I was sleeping and thought it was a rat and throw it on the floor.  she put it under my bed and I never saw her again.

20 hours ago, back to earth said:

Besides. most foreigners  dont know how to use vegemite. 

1.  butter some bread or toast 

2. dip a knife in the vegemite removing  small amount on the tip of the knife

3. Draw the side of the  knife across the rim of the jar scraping the bit on the knife back in the jar. Now the knife should have a thin  smear of vegemite on it . 

4. Wave the knife above the bread or toast a bit .

5. Wipe off the knife before it eats into the metal.

6. eat the bread or toast. 

But it is so much fun when they put it an inch thick, or straight out of the jar. The reactions are priceless!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, danielost said:

there was a cat who thought I was a god.  she brought her dead baby to me thinking I could bring it back to life.  I was sleeping and thought it was a rat and throw it on the floor.  she put it under my bed and I never saw her again.

ambulanceRunning.gif

• Like 1