Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

foods you can eat without killing

danielost

you can eat any dairy plus eggs from supermarket, at least in the usa, the eggs are not fertilized.  they use laying mash to get the hens to lay unfertilized eggs.  I don't know about organic eggs.  also any fruit, fruit in this case is anything with a seed in it or on it.  if you buy eggs from a farm they maybe fertilized.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
corrected title
  • Like 2

If you buy eggs in the store you are still killing the hen, because she will eventually be turned into dog food or chicken nuggets.  Most milkcow calves are turned into veal as a by product of the milk industry. 

• Like 3

Hi Daniel. In the 21st century, I don't think just avoiding 'food' that has been killed is good enough. In my opinion you also have to consider how the animals have been treated during 'production' because the majority of them have appalling lives ..... basically just so that we can enjoy different flavours. 

• Like 3

I have never eaten meat or seafood. I even have a hard time eating plant stuff. When I was little, it had got to the point where we couldn't eat at restaurants because I would see someone's plate with a little Cornish hen on it or something and I would start bawling my eyes out. I just can't do it. And don't even get me started on the mistreatment of animals.

We can eat really well (and more healthy) without meat in our diets. I've never tasted it so I don't know what the appeal is but I have smelled meat/seafood cooking and it doesn't smell good at all. Makes me want to puke my brains out to be honest.

I read an article somewhere once about scientists working on synthetic lab-grown meats. That way people could eat 'meat' without having to have any animals killed. I don't know where they're at with that, but guess it will take years before they can figure something out.

1 hour ago, GreenmansGod said:

If you buy eggs in the store you are still killing the hen, because she will eventually be turned into dog food or chicken nuggets.  Most milkcow calves are turned into veal as a by product of the milk industry. 

but, they would be anyways or end up the table if they don't lay or give milk.

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

Hi Daniel. In the 21st century, I don't think just avoiding 'food' that has been killed is good enough. In my opinion you also have to consider how the animals have been treated during 'production' because the majority of them have appalling lives ..... basically just so that we can enjoy different flavours. 

then find a farm that uses laying mash and let the fertilized eggs hatch.

Ever see this movie.

• Like 3

a a better burger has lettuce and tomatoes on it.  Obamacare is supposed to fix the med problem.  I don't need to be told about diabetes I have it.  did this family try to get food stamps.  or food  banks.

Ï have no problem with eating meat or fish or poultry in and of itself.  Everything dies sooner or later and if the animal provides something positive it gets good karma from it.

My problems are two-fold.  First, the animal should be well treated and live a better and maybe longer life than would be expected in the wild.  Second, the animal should be pretty-much free ranging and not stuffed with antibiotics and hormones and all that stuff.

Achieving this is impossible unless you live on a farm, which I do, and raise your own animals and only buy even veggies at local markets, not factory stuff.

The fact is I very rarely eat meat, sticking mostly with fish and poultry.  We have a reservoir plus chickens are running around all over the place, along with cats and dogs and turkeys and frogs and field mice, all of which make good eating when consumed in small amounts.  It takes some management to keep the poultry away from wild birds during bird-flu outbreaks, and animals sometimes need a little training to leave each other alone (well except the cats -- cats can't be trained to leave chicks or mice alone, so chicks are put in safe places until they are big enough and the mice are on their own  Of course it is a lot of work keeping things clean and all the critters well fed, and this makes good jobs for others since I'm now a bit too old to be doing as much as I would like.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

Ï have no problem with eating meat or fish or poultry in and of itself.  Everything dies sooner or later and if the animal provides something positive it gets good karma from it.

My problems are two-fold.  First, the animal should be well treated and live a better and maybe longer life than would be expected in the wild.  Second, the animal should be pretty-much free ranging and not stuffed with antibiotics and hormones and all that stuff.

Achieving this is impossible unless you live on a farm, which I do, and raise your own animals and only buy even veggies at local markets, not factory stuff.

The fact is I very rarely eat meat, sticking mostly with fish and poultry.  We have a reservoir plus chickens are running around all over the place, along with cats and dogs and turkeys and frogs and field mice, all of which make good eating when consumed in small amounts.  It takes some management to keep the poultry away from wild birds during bird-flu outbreaks, and animals sometimes need a little training to leave each other alone (well except the cats -- cats can't be trained to leave chicks or mice alone, so chicks are put in safe places until they are big enough and the mice are on their own  Of course it is a lot of work keeping things clean and all the critters well fed, and this makes good jobs for others since I'm now a bit too old to be doing as much as I would like.

I have said this before any animal that is kept as a pet should be eaten.  I know you keep cats and dogs for food.  I have felt like this for thirty years, when watched a pet cow shot for food.

36 minutes ago, danielost said:

I have said this before any animal that is kept as a pet should be eaten.  I know you keep cats and dogs for food.  I have felt like this for thirty years, when watched a pet cow shot for food.

Actually no.  Cats are for insect and rodent control and dogs are a nighttime alert service.  We would never eat one of them for food.  There are Vietnamese who will, but it is unhealthy and dangerous to eat a carnivorous animal, and to be safe requires cooking beyond the point where it is tasty.  

Let me add to that that once upon a time when a draft animal, such as a horse or mule or water buffalo died, we would eat it, but we are mechanized now and such animals are no rare.

Edited by Frank Merton
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, danielost said:

When I was a kid I helped my neighbor care with his cattle. For my work come butchering time I got 2 cows to sell for meat.  I felt kinda bad when I help load them on the truck, but the cows had a good life while they were at my neighbor's farm. All of them grass feed, along with some beer in feed, makes for happy cows.  Happy cows make for good meat.  If you're going to eat meat dairy or eggs, go with small local farms, if you can.  

• Like 1

I forgot one food you can eat with out killing,  HONEY.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, danielost said:

I forgot one food you can eat with out killing,  HONEY.

I'm not sure about that, in the sense that when the honey is stolen by the beekeeper(think of the incredible effort the bees have put into making it!), he replaces it with poor quality, unnatural(to the bees), sugar, which probably makes for unhealthy bees, more of which die sooner than if they were honey fed. 

1 minute ago, ouija ouija said:

I'm not sure about that, in the sense that when the honey is stolen by the beekeeper(think of the incredible effort the bees have put into making it!), he replaces it with poor quality, unnatural(to the bees), sugar, which probably makes for unhealthy bees, more of which die sooner than if they were honey fed. 

They don't replace honey with anything. The bees make more than enough to get them through the winter. Beekeepers leave plenty of honey to sustain them. Bees aren't cheap and they don't want their hives to die out. Especially with the dwindling population.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Michelle said:

They don't replace honey with anything. The bees make more than enough to get them through the winter. Beekeepers leave plenty of honey to sustain them. Bees aren't cheap and they don't want their hives to die out. Especially with the dwindling population.

Type 'what do beekeepers feed their bees on?' into Google and it comes up with plenty of sites telling you when to feed bees(pretty much for most of the year), and what to feed them: refined sugar and water. I don't doubt that there are conscientious keepers who are very careful to leave enough honey for the bees to over-winter on, but they will be in the minority and even they will get caught out in longer/harsher than normal winters.  

2 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Type 'what do beekeepers feed their bees on?' into Google and it comes up with plenty of sites telling you when to feed bees(pretty much for most of the year), and what to feed them: refined sugar and water. I don't doubt that there are conscientious keepers who are very careful to leave enough honey for the bees to over-winter on, but they will be in the minority and even they will get caught out in longer/harsher than normal winters.  

only the greedy beekeeper does this the rest let them keep honey, which is better for them I agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oniomancer said:

Yogurt :)

Yogurt is not a food.................... it is the work of the Devil! :P 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oniomancer said:

Yogurt :)

dairy.

39 minutes ago, danielost said:

dairy.

But the Acidophilus make it through just fine. :)

Just some random information in this thread...

Every tablespoon of honey is two spring honeybees 3-4 weeks worth of effort of their 6-7 week long lives.

Dairy cows can have natural lifespans of 20-25 years. However, due to the regular forced impregnation, and regular forced lactation at all other times, they often are "used up" by around 5-6 years, and are slaughtered. Some female calves are kept to keep up the herds, but the rest and most males are slaughtered off as veal and calf, at 18-20 weeks and 22-26 weeks respectively.
And just saying... almost ALL milk in the U.S. is killed. Pasteurization. Only raw milk consumption isn't killed right off to start. So raw milk, cheeses, yogurts and so on could be "live" to an extent before consumption or processing, which in itself can kill anything living in the milk to begin with.

Millions of day old male egg chicks are killed every year in the U.S.. Why? Because they are not the right breed of chicken for the meat industry, and are otherwise useless in the egg laying industry. They don't even have the side benefit that veal does, and are just killed. A chickens natural livespan can be 10-15 years depending on the breed, but often commercial egg layers see 12-18 months before production before production drops and they are culled, and often in smaller scale "country" chickens that can max out at around 3-4 years.
Fortunately for males, some recent developments can allow for sexing in the egg- past egg eating stage, but early enough that the chicken can be aborted by breaking the egg instead of waiting till a day after it's hatched. But the technology for this is still new as of last year. And there are some programs starting to test raising males under heavy feed and grow conditions to see if they could yield decent braising chickens.

And feed agriculture necessary for cows and chickens is responsible for some wild animal deaths and some ecological problems. Including things that are being very strongly implicated as part of the problem with the general decline of commercial honeybees in the U.S.

My opinion.. Lets face it, what we eat is either the result of killing, or is using the fruits of the labors of animals that work till their deaths to produce what we eat. Or has other direct death effects depending on some agricultural practices. It's part of the cycle.

About some of the best arguments to oppose my opinion I've seen comes from some fruit and nut diet action. That can be remarkably kill free and sustainable. However, it too can have kill consequences, particularly once it gets into a more commercial scale. But it's more about preventing before anything needs to be killed- and sometimes the chemicals used, both regular and organic, can be harmful too. And some of that leads back to honeybees too, since there are huge amounts of honeybees used to pollinate fruit and nut trees.

Edited by rashore
  • Like 1

nuts are seeds.  seeds are baby plants, thus you are killing baby plants when you eat things such as nuts, grains, and most vegetables.  how ever those things we can fruit and a few vegetables which have seeds inside them, such as cucumbers are designed to either be eaten or spit out.  of course to fulfill the contract, you have to poo on the ground someplace else.  rather than in a toilet or outhouse.

bees produce far more honey than they need.  our orchards are so big that wild bees could never pollinate all of them.

• Like 1

Very food we eat is killing us even so called organic food will kill u also

Edited by coolguy