Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA to digitize data from Viking landers

UM-Bot

40 minutes ago, coolguy said:

What are they gonna hide from us now

Nothing.  What have they hidden from us before?

• Like 1

It doesn't really matter one way or the other. Regardless of how much data is released the cry will always be that something was hidden.

• Like 3

On 26.7.2016 at 5:13 AM, coolguy said:

What are they gonna hide from us now

Bouncy castles, gigantic bouncy castles. Hundreds of gigantic bouncy castles.

• Like 1

It is a duty to hide data, even if none of the data is sensitive. We aren't doing research for the benefit of other governments, why give them a full monty?

14 minutes ago, Zalmoxis said:

It is a duty to hide data, even if none of the data is sensitive. We aren't doing research for the benefit of other governments, why give them a full monty?

Wow, what an appalling and unbelievably ignorant attitude. 

This is science, the accumulation of knowledge. If the rest of humanity had your attitude we would have no medicine, no tools, no transportation, no progress.

You may think that abject ignorance is a good thing but fortunately you are in the minority. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Wow, what an appalling and unbelievably ignorant attitude. 

This is science, the accumulation of knowledge. If the rest of humanity had your attitude we would have no medicine, no tools, no transportation, no progress.

You may think that abject ignorance is a good thing but fortunately you are in the minority. 

It is of the best interest of any ruling entity to release information to benefit it's own people primarily. In treatises documents could be exchanged with allied countries but to release fully intact documents to the public (where foreign spies lurk) would be irresponsible. Sharing information isn't forbidden, but to release every detail of the data of a mission, no matter how dated it is, would be bad policy. Ever notice that all declassified documents contain at least a minimal amount of black bars? Customary. Even if there is no sensitive information to hide.

You could look at this another way for perspective and say, what about a product company? Say a certain product company was selling a hot new product that is truly original. Other companies follow suit and get their own knock-offs on the shelves to cut in to the original product's profits. The original company did some fine advertising that was innovative and fascinating and their tactics smashed the knock-offs off the shelves. Years later other companies were still in awe at the smashing campaign and were wanting to know the details so they could use those same tactics within their own advertising campaigns. With a new CEO on top and corporate relations sweetened up, the pressure is on. What should they do? Help other companies profit in the light of treacherous copy catting? No. They would keep the information secret even if some knock-offs came as close as ever to producing the same results or discovering those elusive internal tactics.

Sorry for the long text but seriously, sharing information, however mundane it is, is bad policy for any government. That the public has a right to know makes it necessary because you can't keep the small folks in the dark about everything, but the U.S.A.'s position as the great central focus of much of the world makes things like that all the more sensitive.

Edited by Zalmoxis

Zalmoxis, it does not matter how many times you repeat it or how long winded you make the reply your position will remain idiotic in the extreme.

I'll put it simply, you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

If any nation (let's assume the USA here) were to follow your advice they would instantly destroy all science in their own nation. No university would be able to publish research, no scientist would be able announce a discovery. NASA would cease to exist as it would be totally pointless doing research that no one could ever hear about whilst the Russian, Europeans, Chinese, Indians (and anyone else with a space agency not destroyed by a lunatic) would simply make the same discoveries and get the credit for them.

Scientist would leave the totalitarian, anti-science, hell hole, which you think is a good idea, to go and work in countries where science isn't effectively banned and freedom of thought and speech discouraged.

As for your off tropic nonsense about companies, google the word "patent".

No sane person would disagree with classifying information which could be useful to an enemy but calling for the classification of 40 year old information about the surface of Mars is NOT sane.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo.
  • Like 2

On 7/31/2016 at 5:11 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Sorry I was away but you seem to not understand that the US government works on two levels. Public & Private. Releasing information pertaining to any mission is generally discouraged no matter how unimportant that mission seems as a matter of policy and protocol. That was the point I wasn't making clearly. What you are suggesting is demilitarizing the white house and let any commy bas.t.ard walk right in and scrounge through the file cabinet.

Edited by Zalmoxis

Zalmoxis you do not have the slightest clue what you are talking about.

I have made NO suggestion that the White House be demilitarised (or even of the Pentagon).

What I did suggest is that the suppression of ALL scientific data would destroy scientific progress in that nation. I also suggested that this would be the actions of totalitarianism. I further suggested that no sane person would make such a suggestion, although this seems to be precisely what you are suggesting.

I repeat what I said earlier, restricting the flow of information useful to a potential enemy is a sensible thing to do. Restricting the flow of scientific data which has no such use would be a moronic thing to do.

Again and again you repeat the same nonsense, the reality is that science ONLY works with a free exchange of information. NASA has been releasing scientific information since it's inception, it would have no purpose if it didn't. 

I suggest that you read and re-read what I actually said until it sinks in. Then maybe you can reply to what I said not some fancifal/dishonest interpretation of your own creation. 

Maybe you could also explain (preferably with out circumventing the language filter -consider that a moderator warning) how the digitisation of 40 year old data about the surface of Mars (information which was generally released to the world 40 years ago) poses any threat to the defence of the USA (I'll give you a massive clue... it doesn't. None, nil, zip, zilch, nada).

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zalmoxis said:

Sorry I was away but you seem to not understand that the US government works on two levels. Public & Private. Releasing information pertaining to any mission is generally discouraged no matter how unimportant that mission seems as a matter of policy and protocol. That was the point I wasn't making clearly. What you are suggesting is demilitarizing the white house and let any commy bas.t.ard walk right in and scrounge through the file cabinet.

How does pictures of Mars compromise national security ?

You do know that other countries have space crafts capable of imaging Mars ? Right now NASA, ESA and ISRO have satellites orbiting Mars and the Soviet Union had some too. (you know those commy bas.t.ards). Other countries have missions planned too.

Why do you think that the images would be in the White House anyway ?

By the way why are commy bas.t.ards particularly interested in Mars ? Because it is the Red planet ? :rolleyes:

I am afraid that this is a very poorly thought out conspiracy theory.

18 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

I am not suggesting the suppression of scientific data and knowledge. The data of a NASA mission is sensitive material. The NASA missions are not an integral part of daily civilian life. If all of NASA's activities were 100% top secret the lives of American's would not change. Much like the military who are closely linked to the activities of NASA, NASA must maintain full discretion at all times. This ain't a biology study in a bog marsh. It's not a science class at the university. Those scientists aren't on a mission. National security risks can be culled from any sensitive mission data. There is a huge difference.

Edited by Zalmoxis

17 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

How does pictures of Mars compromise national security ?

It wouldn't necessarily be data itself but procedures, coding methods and other operative processes that would be revealed through declassifying documents without editing them. Much like how a hacker wants your IP address, not the pictures of your Aunt Tammy saved on your hard drive. The photos of Mars inherently have little value to a spy. Their goal is to defeat America, not learn about other planets.

43 minutes ago, Zalmoxis said:

The data of a NASA mission is sensitive material. The NASA missions are not an integral part of daily civilian life.

What do you mean by "sensitive material" in general? NASA missions connected to US Defense and Intelligence Agencies are sensitive and classifyed, yes. But missions that are not related to these ones are not sensitive and not classifyed. If you think different, you follow a CT. 

35 minutes ago, Zalmoxis said:

Their goal is to defeat America, not learn about other planets.

So as per yr strange logic, e.g. images of the surface of Ceres are of need to defeat the USA?

23 hours ago, Zalmoxis said:

Sorry I was away but you seem to not understand that the US government works on two levels.

And you do?

23 hours ago, Zalmoxis said:

Public & Private. Releasing information pertaining to any mission is generally discouraged no matter how unimportant that mission seems as a matter of policy and protocol. That was the point I wasn't making clearly. What you are suggesting is demilitarizing the white house and let any commy bas.t.ard walk right in and scrounge through the file cabinet.

/facepalm

The info is actually on secure servers, not filing cabinets.....oh wait, that's not secure either.  Nevermind.

4 hours ago, toast said:

So as per yr strange logic, e.g. images of the surface of Ceres are of need to defeat the USA?

I am looking forward to an answer to that question. 

I won't hold my breath on it though. If I did I would probably die of asphyxiation. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I see two possibilities here:

1. Zalmoxis is simply making stuff up because he is trolling.
  2. Zalmoxis is simply making stuff up because he genuinely believes the nonsense he is posting.

In either case I see no possible way to have a rational debate with him, so I'm cutting my loses and will do something more productive... like banging my head against a brick wall.

Good luck to those of you continuing to try and get some sense out of him.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.

Thomas Paine

On 8/8/2016 at 0:09 PM, toast said:

What do you mean by "sensitive material" in general? NASA missions connected to US Defense and Intelligence Agencies are sensitive and classifyed, yes. But missions that are not related to these ones are not sensitive and not classifyed. If you think different, you follow a CT. 

Material need not be classified to prevent public access. Top secret documents are off limits to insiders as well as the public. I'm not sure what a CT is but I'm Googling it. "Sensitive material" isn't necessarily the content of a document, it could be codenames, file codes, dates and page numbers, things you wouldn't think that would be all that sensitive if you were the average Joe reading them.

On 8/8/2016 at 1:49 PM, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

This discussion has veered off my original remarks:

In response to this remark:

On 7/27/2016 at 2:56 PM, paperdyer said:

It doesn't really matter one way or the other. Regardless of how much data is released the cry will always be that something was hidden.

It wasn't a serious statement that was intended for a deep discussion startpoint. Simply, my belief is that all top secret documents and all mission documents should be edited even if the data isn't sensitive. If you want a full un-edited version then apply for a job and do it behind the counter. I really don't want to explore the details of what is sensitive data and what is not sensitive data. Thanks anyways.