Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

19 dead, 20 injured in knife attack at Kanaga

bubblykiss

SAGAMIHARA —

Nineteen people are dead and 20 injured following a knife attack in Sagamihara, Kanagawa Prefecture, Kyodo news agency reported Tuesday.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/crime/view/19-dead-20-injured-in-knife-attack-at-kanagawa-facility-for-disabled

Too much horror, too much death, too many massacres. This is not the world into which I wished to live.  

• Like 3

Where is the security at this facility? I find it atrocious he was able to stab so many without anybody being alerted..

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Goodf3llow said:

Where is the security at this facility? I find it atrocious he was able to stab so many without anybody being alerted..

The Japanese are used to people suiciding themselves off instead of murdering others when they crack. In short nobody saw it coming. They all just thought he would kill himself rather than spreading misery around like it was golden honey.

• Like 2

Makes a lot sense...one of the reasons they have such a low murder rate as compared to other developed countries..

• Like 1

From what I have gathered - the victims were in a facility for the disabled. Where on earth was security ?

sorry I have to do this.  but, I thought only people with guns could kill so many people.

I hope the families get over this and wish them

• Like 2

Axes, knives, guns, bombs and car attacks. What is wrong with people this month :(

• Like 5

Seems he tied up all eight of the caretakers and then went to "euthanize" all the elderly and disabled patients. 

On 7/26/2016 at 10:19 AM, danielost said:

sorry I have to do this.  but, I thought only people with guns could kill so many people.

Disabled people lying in bed? With a gun, it would have been over a hundred dead. 

On 7/26/2016 at 10:19 AM, danielost said:

I hope the families get over this and wish them

That is what counts right now. 

7 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Disabled people lying in bed? With a gun, it would have been over a hundred dead. 

That is what counts right now. 

Guns go empty. Knives never need reloading.

Harte

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harte said:

Harte

Or fuel, oil, aired tires and mechanical parts to run over people.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Harte said:

Harte

I cannot say I have ever heard of a mass shooter running out of ammo. 

7 hours ago, Purifier said:

Or fuel, oil, aired tires and mechanical parts to run over people.

How do you propose he would drive a truck through hospital wards?

9 hours ago, psyche101 said:

How do you propose he would drive a truck through hospital wards?

Usually the insane don't. Never heard of anyone doing that before. But they do resort to more cunning and diabolical methods, like load a truck up with TNT and detonate it in front of buildings. We had one do that over here in front of a federal building in Oklahoma. But he wasn't the first to think of that idea - back in the early 1920's another did a similar thing on Wall Street, with the only difference being this individual used a carriage full of dynamite.

12 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I cannot say I have ever heard of a mass shooter running out of ammo. 

I don't know. But I do know of several that had to reload.

Harte

30 minutes ago, Harte said:

I don't know. But I do know of several that had to reload.

Harte

C'mon Harte, this is nowhere near the numbers achieved by those with guns.

Edited by Mangoze

The perpetrator is a crazed and mentally unstable individual ... 

~

The crazed knifeman who hacked 19 people to death at a care home in Japan because he wanted to ‘get rid of the disabled from this world’ is believed to have sent a chilling tweet just minutes after the attack.

Satoshi Uematsu, 26, broke into the centre by smashing a window with a hammer, killing 19 people and seriously injuring 26 people as they slept, in what has been deemed the country's worst mass murder since World War II.

He went into the Tsukui Yamayuri En centre in Sagamihara, outside of Tokyo, brandishing a knife at around 2.10am and police were called at 2.30am local time.

At 2.50am a picture was published by a Twitter account, named by Japanese media as belonging to Uematsu, showing a man with blond hair, wearing a suit, grinning alongside a message in Japanese which reads: 'May there be peace in the world'.

In English he added the words: 'Beautiful Japan!!!!!!'. 

Police were first called to the scene after residents saw a man with blond hair armed with a blade in black clothes in the centre's grounds.

Uematsu, who is a former employee at the care centre, was arrested after he walked into a police station 30 minutes after the gruesome attack and stated 'I did it'.

Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun reported that the suspect told police: 'I want to get rid of the disabled from this world.'

~
3697E17300000578-3707721-image-a-24_1469

"Governor of Japan's Kanagawa prefecture Yuji Kuroiwa (C) prays to mourn victims as he visits the facility  "

~

condolences ...

`

most mass killers are stopped by someone else with a gun.  if you don't have a gun your a victim.

4 hours ago, Mangoze said:

C'mon Harte, this is nowhere near the numbers achieved by those with guns.

From what I've found, only 5 instances of mass murder (in the US - with guns) had higher death totals. link

Apparently, only 8 gun massacres with higher death tolls worldwide. link

This is modern history, though. Also, some of the info I found could be out of date.

One should consider that some of these massacres were perpetrated by two or more people, like in San Bernardino.

What would have been the death toll in this case if two murderers were involved?

So, yes, it is not only "near the numbers achieved by those with guns," this death toll actually surpasses most mass murder shooting death tolls.

Harte

• Like 1

4 hours ago, danielost said:

most mass killers are stopped by someone else with a gun.  if you don't have a gun your a victim.

Most people don't think of a care home as a place that needs to stockpile guns. Most care homes are extremely safe places. That's why they're called care homes. 

Are you blaming them for not being armed? 

Even if a person has a permit to carry, they can't generally have their weapon on them at their place of employment. And care homes/retirement homes...I think most of them have no gun policies, for the safety of the patients. You don't want people offing themselves, or shooting someone while they're sundowning, obviously. How on earth could anyone in a facility like that be armed? 

Yeah I'd say that definitely would be overkill, to have patients and regular employees carry guns, but it couldn't hurt to hire professional armed security (usually off duty police officers) for the retirement home. Might have prevented the knife attack in the first place.

1 hour ago, ChaosRose said:

Most people don't think of a care home as a place that needs to stockpile guns. Most care homes are extremely safe places. That's why they're called care homes. 

Are you blaming them for not being armed? 

no.  but, I don't see how that changes what I said.  by the way I am unarmed too.

Edited by danielost

1 hour ago, Purifier said:

Yeah I'd say that definitely would be overkill, to have patients and regular employees carry guns, but it couldn't hurt to hire professional armed security (usually off duty police officers) for the retirement home. Might have prevented the knife attack in the first place.

funny, the nursing home I live in just give the police lunch.

Edited by danielost
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Harte said:

From what I've found, only 5 instances of mass murder (in the US - with guns) had higher death totals. link

Apparently, only 8 gun massacres with higher death tolls worldwide. link

This is modern history, though. Also, some of the info I found could be out of date.

One should consider that some of these massacres were perpetrated by two or more people, like in San Bernardino.

What would have been the death toll in this case if two murderers were involved?

So, yes, it is not only "near the numbers achieved by those with guns," this death toll actually surpasses most mass murder shooting death tolls.

Harte

To be honest I was only comparing the number of victims at Port Arthur to this attack.

Would there have been as many victims if Bryant was armed only with a knife? Probably not; but I'll concede you can't be certain about about a counterfactual scenario.

It seems Uematsu may have had 20 minutes before the police were called. 

The noise of a gun may have raised an alert, and response, sooner.