Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Law and Abortion: The Legal Basis

Alan McDougall

7 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

Thank you.  She is the light of my life.

But, I have seen the other side of it, too.  So many people judge the women and no one holds the men to the same standard. Because the woman carries the fetus it is all on her.  The guy isn't looked down upon.  She is.  Why aren't the guys held accountable when the woman falls pregnant?  It takes 2 to get that way.

No good asking me. Theoretically i understand such social biases and prejudices, but personally they are repugnant. 

One observation. When women claim  sole ownership of, and sole responsibility for, their body,  it is harder for them to  deny sole responsibility for getting pregnant in the first place   If they accept a man's contribution to pregnancy and conception,  it opens the door for the father to have a say in the decision, and some women find this anathema.

Generally however,  and purely in principle, an unborn is the genetic product of two individuals, and both contribute equally to its existence.

In practice the woman carries the child for 9 months, where she is vulnerable, and thus deserves more protection than the father . during this time.

Ps it might just be an Australian thing, but its been a long time since single parenthood or unmarried motherhood has been seen with any stigma here. it is almost the norm with young people Due to excellent Australian social services a young woman can become quite well off as a single mother and two non working unmarred young people can earn as much as a skilled worker once they have a few children   Combined wit ready access to abortion, this means that very few children are originally unwanted, although parenting can become too hard for many young people, who lack  the discipline, skills, or support, to be good parents.   A significant number  also fail, due to drug or alcohol addictions. 

Edited by Mr Walker