Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Solar Impulse completes historic global trip

UM-Bot

Unbelievable!  Seriously, this is an amazing accomplishment but not something I'd ever volunteer to do. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Merc14 said:

Unbelievable!  Seriously, this is an amazing accomplishment but not something I'd ever volunteer to do. 

Indeed, me too! I'd be too worried about it not working.

16 minutes ago, BeastieRunner said:

Indeed, me too! I'd be too worried about it not working.

The sheer boredom and cramped conditions would kill me.   Could never be an astronaut for the same reason .

A long stretch of clouds over the Pacific could ruin your whole day.

• Like 2

Wow. That is seriously impressive.

The pilot is braver than I would ever be, for sure.

• Like 1

I forget how many days the plane was one the ground due to bad weather.  Incredible, yes, but a long way to go to be practical.  I sure hope the FAA would make the plane have a fuel back-up system for emergencies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paperdyer said:

I forget how many days the plane was one the ground due to bad weather.  Incredible, yes, but a long way to go to be practical.  I sure hope the FAA would make the plane have a fuel back-up system for emergencies.

Yeah, I don't know how that works on a regulatory level of an experimental trans-world aircraft.

I think the idea was to be "pure solar", without any conventional engine "back-up" Not sure, though.

I would think significant permissions and approvals would have to be obtained prior to flight.

As far as I could research there was no secondary propulsion system.  Honestly, the bloody thing could glide forever so maybe not an issue.  It is, in no way, a practical design but neither was the Spirit of St. Louis and look at how fast things evolved after Lindbergh's flight.  Let's see what industry does with it.   Great stuff Solar Impulse team.     :tu: 

Edited by Merc14