Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

We're used to cockroaches scurrying around our kitchens feasting on scraps, but new research could see humans turning to cockroaches for food.

An international team of scientists have found that crystals found in the stomachs of a particular type of cockroach are a highly nutritious source of protein.

According to the research conducted by scientists from India, Japan, Canada, the USA and France, a single milk protein crystal from the cockroach's stomach is estimated to contain more than three times the amount of energy found in an equivalent amount of dairy milk. 

http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/science/nature/article/2016/07/25/cockroach-milk-could-be-health-drink-future

• Like 3

No thanks! I rather continue drinking cow's milk! The thought of something coming from a bug is disgusting!

• Like 8

As gross as the idea sounds, watch it fly. The lengths some people go to for health and beauty (urine facials, for example) have already gone beyond what most of us would find tolerable or palatable.

• Like 6

WTF is wrong with people?  Those are cockroaches.  'Nuff said.

• Like 7

That thing better be granting immortality for me to be drinking it lol

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, TopToffee said:

Going to need small hands to milk a cockroach.!

Or we going to need a cockroaches as big as a cows in the future!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Or we going to need a cockroaches as big as a cows in the future!

Now that is a nightmare.!

• Like 2

I don't even drink cow milk because its gross, unnecessary  and unnatural to do... But licking cockroaches for crystals?

1 hour ago, Nnicolette said:

I don't even drink cow milk because its gross, unnecessary  and unnatural to do... But licking cockroaches for crystals?

We have the bacteria in our stomachs that allows us to drink milk.  How is that unnatural? Humans do alot of things other animals don't 

• Like 1

Just now, spartan max2 said:

We have the bacteria in our stomachs that allows us to drink milk.  How is that unnatural? Humans do alot of things other animals don't 

Having bacteria to digest milk probably is neccessary to survive to adulthood. Sucking juice from a cows underside (and overdoing it to the cow to point that its half mucus) is not natural unless you are a baby cow and need to grow at an exponential rate. 

Dont get me wrong i love yogurt and cheese but milk has always made me sick. Even moreso once i understood what it was.

25 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

Having bacteria to digest milk probably is neccessary to survive to adulthood. Sucking juice from a cows underside (and overdoing it to the cow to point that its half mucus) is not natural unless you are a baby cow and need to grow at an exponential rate. 

Dont get me wrong i love yogurt and cheese but milk has always made me sick. Even moreso once i understood what it was.

There is a reason many people are lactose intolerant. Humans are made to digest human milk, not milk from a cow, so it's no wonder that a lot of people have sensitivities to it. Both myself and my son have problems with it, not severe problems, but enough so that I don't drink milk and don't eat a lot of cheese or other dairy. That said, I don't plan on drinking any human milk either, but the dispensers are very nice, :rolleyes:

• Like 4

I've already begun raising cockroaches in my home. I'll soon be a millionaire.

• Like 3

Unless it will get you really stoned or something, I'll pass. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Clair said:

You don't know what you're eating missing. :)

Good. :)  Sometimes ignorance is actually bliss.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Good. :)  Sometimes ignorance is actually bliss.

In this instance, most definitely. After reading that article, I'm quite prepared to starve to death.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TopToffee said:

Going to need small hands to milk a cockroach.!

haha!     .. if it was only that easy?     Indeed,  how do they plan on extracting these magic milk protein crystals from the stomaches of the  roaches , economically?      A glass of the stuff would be expensive!     But it sounds scrumptious !      *gag*

• Like 2

I will absolutely, most definitely, without a doubt, pass!

But, thanks anyway. ;)

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Clair said:

In this instance, most definitely. After reading that article, I'm quite prepared to starve to death.

I absolutely agree with you.  Btw, love your picture! :)

• Like 2

Considering everything else that makes it into our food (Clair I wish you hadn't posted that link lol) not to mention the bugs we swallow when we sleep, who cares at this point. Might as well give it a go.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MJNYC said:

I absolutely agree with you.  Btw, love your picture! :)

Thanks MJNYC! I love yours as well. :) And wasn't that article a turn-off? I've always known about stuff like that but never with so much detail.

• Like 1