Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Biff on film

supervike

That thing sure does cover a lot of ground in uneven terrain in a short amount of time, wearing a wet "gorilla suit"..

Didn't know bigfeet were aquatic and wore water wings.

31 minutes ago, TopToffee said:

I knew i shouldnt have risked a bit of skinny  dipping before shaving.!

I was thinking that, too! Looked like someone with a beach towel stretched over their shoulders beating a hasty retreat!

• Like 2

On 7/27/2016 at 2:34 AM, Hammerclaw said:

I was thinking that, too! Looked like someone with a beach towel stretched over their shoulders beating a hasty retreat!

Yep.  A big dark uniformly covering beach towel...and running at an incredible speed for being so clad.  I can't even walk up a bank at a lake as fast as that guy ran a quarter mile.  Count the seconds it takes for him to run a quarter mile.  They got a pretty fast runner to help with their hoax..

I counted 18 seconds for about a quarter mile's distance, using the diminishing size of the "man" as he ran.  so that makes a 1 minute, 12 second mile.

Impressive!

Edited by SSilhouette

19 minutes ago, SSilhouette said:

Yep.  A big dark uniformly covering beach towel...and running at an incredible speed for being so clad.  I can't even walk up a bank at a lake as fast as that guy ran a quarter mile.  Count the seconds it takes for him to run a quarter mile.  They got a pretty fast runner to help with their hoax..

I counted 18 seconds for about a quarter mile's distance, using the diminishing size of the "man" as he ran.  so that makes a 1 minute, 12 second mile.

Impressive!

Almost as fast as "Bigfoot" in the MD Footage

I would compare this OP's film with another, except it stands alone just fine.  The figure ran about a quarter mile in 18 seconds.  That's 1 minute, 12 second mile, through rough terrain.  Wearing a uniform of some type.  It stands on its own.

BTW, I'm using science to analyze the film. Distance x time.

Edited by SSilhouette

1 hour ago, SSilhouette said:

Impressive!

I think your calculations are a bit off. That means it is running at 60 mph! The only animals that could move at that kind of speed would be cheetahs and pronghorn antelope, which the figure does not at all resemble.

• Like 1

Look at the distance traveled, and the time.  Let's say it's only a 6th of a mile (about 900 feet) in 18 seconds... That's still a 1 minute, 48 second mile.  Still, VERY impressive in a gorilla suit in uneven terrain. 

And these calculations: 1/8 of a mile in 18 seconds = 660 feet or a 2 minute, 24 second mile in uneven terrain in a gorilla suit.

Or 1/10th of a mile in 18 seconds = 528 feet or a 3 minute mile in a gorilla suit in uneven terrain.  Put on a gorilla suit, a wet gorilla suit (it jumped out of the lake first, remember), and run a mile in 3 minutes.  Enjoy!

Edited by SSilhouette

Just now, SSilhouette said:

Look at the distance traveled, and the time.  Let's say it's only a 6th of a mile... That's still a 1 minute, 48 second mile.  Still, VERY impressive in a gorilla suit in uneven terrain.

What I'm saying is that it could not be moving at that speed. The "thing" is a lot closer to the camera than it appears, and doesn't travel that far. I think have misjudged the distance.

• 3 weeks later...

The older gent appears to have snapped a shot with his camera.

i'd like to see said shot.

I got a chuckle out of the video if nothing else. 

I'd tend to agree that the figure didn't run all that far, but he did appear to be running fast though....

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:15 AM, SSilhouette said:

I would compare this OP's film with another, except it stands alone just fine.  The figure ran about a quarter mile in 18 seconds.  That's 1 minute, 12 second mile, through rough terrain.  Wearing a uniform of some type.  It stands on its own.

BTW, I'm using science to analyze the film. Distance x time.

Cool.  I didn't know you were into photogrammetry, SSilhouette..

As you've used science, can you supply the:

- assumptions
- angular measurements
- distance calculations (both camera to subject, and distance covered)
- verification of framerate
- final calculation figures and error ranges

Thanks.  (BTW - it's Distance / Time, but I'm sure you just mistyped that.)

• Like 1

On 7/27/2016 at 2:47 PM, Hammerclaw said:

Didn't know bigfeet were aquatic and wore water wings.

They have been seen "porpoising" behind boats. There's nothing bigfoot can't do (except leave traces of his existence).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Horta said:

They have been seen "porpoising" behind boats. There's nothing bigfoot can't do (except leave traces of his existence).

They prefer these outboards:

Outboard engine / gasoline / 2-stroke / 60 hp 60 BIGFOOT  Mercury
  • Like 1

Oh no, they prefer this brand. evinrude-30-hp-outboard.jpg

The Mercury "Bigfoot" line of engines are not sold exclusively to large, hairy men. The "Bigfoot" refers to an enlarged gearcase/lower unit suitable for slower, heavier boats.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Cool.  I didn't know you were into photogrammetry, SSilhouette..

As you've used science, can you supply the:

- assumptions
- angular measurements
- distance calculations (both camera to subject, and distance covered)
- verification of framerate
- final calculation figures and error ranges

Thanks.  (BTW - it's Distance / Time, but I'm sure you just mistyped that.)

Sorry, the snark is so thick I had to put on hip-waders.  Are you skeptics born condescending or did you go to a special school to polish the art?  What are you getting out of posting at this website?  Take your time if you need to, in order to answer that.

11 hours ago, SSilhouette said:

Sorry, the snark is so thick I had to put on hip-waders.

??  I don't understand...  You said you used science, and the applicable science here is photogrammetry.... in which case the requests I made are very reasonable.  (Gee, if I was offered free lessons in how to do this properly when I got started, I would have been very polite and all ears..).

But do allow me to elaborate... In any science you need to state any assumptions that are relevant. In this case, that would be stuff like how far was the subject from the camera?, How tall is the subject? eg between 5-6 feet, Is the video frame rate in actual time? (conversion/posting to youtube may vary it), Is the terrain level? (being downhill or uphill will not only affect potential running speeds, it will also mean your measurement of actual distance could be way off)

You also need to show your methodology in full, so others can duplicate and verify your results, and point any flaws out.  That's how good science works - guesstimating is frowned upon, with very good reason.  In this case, when you say the subject moved X feet, you need to explain exactly how you measured or derived that..

You should also work out applicable error ranges - at each point in the calculations, measurements, derivations there will be potential errors and they all add up.  As you rather amply demonstrated with your 3 'calculations' presented above, which ranged (for a mile equivalent time) from 1 minute, 12 seconds, to 1 minute, 48 seconds, then to 3 minutes...  That's a rather large error range, to put it mildly, and it suggests your methodology may be at fault..

To answer your other questions:

- I did go to school to learn much of the sciences, but photogrammetry is just a late-in-life hobby of mine..  I like to keep learning, so if anyone can point to any errors in what I have stated, or shortcuts that might apply in this case, I'm listening.

- I get quite a lot out of this website - in particular I like the way we quickly eradicate the fakery and consider all possibilities, rather than close our minds and want everything to be paranormal or unexplained.  I also like to share my knowledge (immodestly, I have a very sound knowledge of photography, astronomy, space sciences, general physics, chem and maths, along with photogrammetry of course).  But even more than that I love to learn from others on topics I'm not so smart on, or better than me in the above fields..

Anyway, thanks for allowing me plenty of time to respond.  But as my snarky nature is obviously unappreciated, maybe someone else will be able to use the above information... :D

• Like 1

Bigfoot is about the Minn Kota.

180836_ts.jpg

images (5).jpg

19 hours ago, South Alabam said:

Here's a google map link to the Lake. It's small, and we should be able to figure out where they were based on the terrain, and sun location, etc..

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wildhorse+Lake/@42.6290584,-118.587772,506m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x54b6a345291a4827:0xc77181a717003509!8m2!3d42.6291931!4d-118.5886152

Good idea. Looking at the map, I see that the entire lake is only about 1/5th of a mile long, about 800 feet wide and 1000 feet long (North to South). Just that fact alone would seem to indicate that the "creature" didn't run a quarter mile (1320 feet), or it would have been all the way up the canyon wall and completely out of sight. Probably 250 or 300 feet might be a better guess at how far it ran. At 300 feet in 18 seconds, that would be 16 miles per hour (just about). Which is still very good speed. At 400 to 500 feet, the creature would still have been running up the canyon wall.

EDIT: Looking at the video again, it is closer to 16 seconds, and it appears from the cliff on the left that they are filming looking north. Since there isn't any real amount of water between the creature and the video people, it would appear that the creature was running off toward the lightly wooded area just north east of the lake, just before a bluff. The bluff appears on the map to be about 300 to 350 feet from the lake shore. And it appears the creature got about (generously) 2/3rd of the way to the bluff. That means about 200 feet in 16 seconds. Which is 12.5 miles per hour. Still pretty good over rough ground. 

I can't rule out Bigfoot, but we can't rule out a wilderness hobo dressed in black either. 

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 3

On 7/30/2016 at 0:58 AM, SSilhouette said:

Look at the distance traveled, and the time.  Let's say it's only a 6th of a mile (about 900 feet) in 18 seconds... That's still a 1 minute, 48 second mile.  Still, VERY impressive in a gorilla suit in uneven terrain. 

And these calculations: 1/8 of a mile in 18 seconds = 660 feet or a 2 minute, 24 second mile in uneven terrain in a gorilla suit.

Or 1/10th of a mile in 18 seconds = 528 feet or a 3 minute mile in a gorilla suit in uneven terrain.  Put on a gorilla suit, a wet gorilla suit (it jumped out of the lake first, remember), and run a mile in 3 minutes.  Enjoy!

That's "bigfoot science" right there lol.

The one where you start with all sorts of guesses, inferences and assumptions accepted as facts, then calculate from there. While pretending these guesses, inferences and assumptions aren't up for scrutiny, only the provided equations based on them. Think that's what ChrLzs might have been getting at.

• Like 2