Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can the Soul Cease to Exist?

Alan McDougall

17 minutes ago, back to earth said:

... dancing naked in a field can uplift the 'soul' 

book burning can destroy the 'soul '

I can't agree or disagree with this.

On 7/31/2016 at 4:39 AM, Mystic Crusader said:

I'm going with my original statement, it is not you he loves, but his reflection of himself in you.

why would a supreme being need love? Why would a supreme being demand worship or a belief in him otherwise he has a hissy fit and you burn forever ( who pays the gas bill?) sounds like a mental case to me

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, noppohn said:

why would a supreme being need love? Why would a supreme being demand worship or a belief in him otherwise he has a hissy fit and you burn forever ( who pays the gas bill?) sounds like a mental case to me

I don't know the scripture but, jesus said if you could see hell you would kill yourself to get there.  which of course is where you would end up.  besides you can't burn forever if the soul ceases to exist.

"  Jesus said if you could see hell you would kill yourself to get there " .  How convenient  that you 'dont know the scripture', yet can paraphrase it . 

One could think you are making this up as you go along and using Jesus 'quotes' to justify  all of your  .......   ' stuff ' .

3 hours ago, back to earth said:

"  Jesus said if you could see hell you would kill yourself to get there " .  How convenient  that you 'dont know the scripture', yet can paraphrase it . 

One could think you are making this up as you go along and using Jesus 'quotes' to justify  all of your  .......   ' stuff ' .

how often have I used Jesus' quotes.  I read it over twenty years ago.

You are tripping .... you probably got confused about where you read it . 

So, you insist jesus says we would want to go to hell if we saw hell .   We would kill ourselves to get there . 

This is one of the all time UM most stupid religious comments I have ever read .   Maybe if you wrote that jesus said that about heaven, it could be believed, but not this.

And you wonder why some people give you a hard time on this site ?

Jesus said if we could see hell we would ant to go there and kill ourselves to get there .....  

Yo trippin'  !  

• Like 1

it doesn't really mater hell and paradise are temp. places anyways.  you don't burn forever.

11 minutes ago, danielost said:

it doesn't really mater hell and paradise are temp. places anyways.  you don't burn forever.

says you ?

In heaven they give you drugs to make you think all is wonderful . In hell, its just a big BBQ .

(Well, if we can just make up stuff as we go along with no reason or logic behind it , because it suits one 's  proclivities .... 

why should I miss out ?  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Every religion seems to have a different idea of what a soul is and what happens to them, and some religions reject the concept of a soul entirely. No one can seem to properly define what a soul is. The closest I can come to defining the soul is the sense of "I am-ness" behind every thought and action, but even this "I am-ness" can be changed or attenuated through altered states, brain injury, meditation, and so on. So perhaps this "soul" is the result of neurochemical processes in the brain. Then again, we could also say that the brain is simply the interface that the soul uses, much like a radio (brain) transmitting radio waves (soul), but we are still no closer to actually figuring out what a soul is, or even if it exists at all.

I'm afraid it remains an open question.

• Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 3:38 AM, Habitat said:

says you ?

says the Mormon church.  and some souls will cease to exist.  according to the church there are 4 places you will end up.  3 levels of heaven and outerdarkness.  those in outer darkness will be cut of from god completely.  these souls will return to what we all started out as/a pre spirit/ very few humans will end up there.  most humans will end up heaven.  the moon, earth and sun will be reborn.

Even Mormons here have said you make stuff up .  

Dont expect to convince us , with your crazy and disjointed 'proofs' and arguments,   though .  

But, if you happy with your own  beliefs ... good for you

tumblr_mef1hnPH9V1rnr47go1_r1_250.gif

• Like 2

On 7/31/2016 at 11:12 AM, aquatus1 said:

Again: How does one tell the difference?  How does one differentiate "true" love from regular love, or, if you actually want to address the question I asked, how does one differentiate an "eternal" soul from a theory of mind?  Putting a label on something is meaningless if the label doesn't actually help you differentiate between things.

Have you ever heard of the No True Scotsman fallacy?

The Princess Bride covers the differences off.

883bf217facea5516f66de8502957742.jpg

wuv.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, back to earth said:

Even Mormons here have said you make stuff up .  

Dont expect to convince us , with your crazy and disjointed 'proofs' and arguments,   though .  

But, if you happy with your own  beliefs ... good for you

tumblr_mef1hnPH9V1rnr47go1_r1_250.gif

funny none of them have said anything to me and I have asked them to in my signature.  I have tried to keep my beliefs separate from what the church teaches.

On 7/29/2016 at 9:04 PM, HalfAnIdiot said:

The soul is the self, the "I" that inhabits the body and acts through it. Without the soul, the body is like a light bulb without electricity, a computer without the software, a space suit with no astronaut inside. With the introduction of the soul, the body acquires life, sight and hearing, thought and speech, intelligence and emotions, will and desire, personality and identity.

Read the rest here - http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/3194/jewish/What-is-a-Soul.htm

I agree wholeheartedly with you!

3 hours ago, danielost said:

funny none of them have said anything to me and I have asked them to in my signature.  I have tried to keep my beliefs separate from what the church teaches.

The pseudo-Christian Morman faith is by far the silliest most far-fetched and best worthy of a science fiction novel.

God is a man of flesh and bone, who the heck then created the universe?

4 hours ago, danielost said:

People say things to you all the time, straight to you, directly, in response to your posts, not even about your signature.  You just never listen to anyone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aquatus1 said:

People say things to you all the time, straight to you, directly, in response to your posts, not even about your signature.  You just never listen to anyone.

i don't listen to people who post like the one above years.

You should.  You don't have to believe it.  You don't even have to agree.  But you should at least listen.  Otherwise, you cannot claim that you have not been told.

57 minutes ago, aquatus1 said:

You should.  You don't have to believe it.  You don't even have to agree.  But you should at least listen.  Otherwise, you cannot claim that you have not been told.

if I said something like that and I have, I would get a warning and again I have.  and, I had the post erased.

Edited by danielost

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 6:40 PM, back to earth said:

You are tripping .... you probably got confused about where you read it . 

So, you insist jesus says we would want to go to hell if we saw hell .   We would kill ourselves to get there . 

This is one of the all time UM most stupid religious comments I have ever read .   Maybe if you wrote that jesus said that about heaven, it could be believed, but not this.

And you wonder why some people give you a hard time on this site ?

Jesus said if we could see hell we would ant to go there and kill ourselves to get there .....  

Yo trippin'  !  

the point is how much better is heaven if you would kill yourself to go hell.

• 1 month later...
On 30/7/2016 at 6:18 AM, danielost said:

true love cannot be destroyed.

Love is neither created nor destroyed, it's just transferred from one to another.

Edited by Trichakra
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2016 at 5:37 PM, Trichakra said:

Love is neither created nor destroyed, it's just transferred from one to another.

Yeah it's created.

And destroyed.

pK2NWeDFWcK5W4FCtFVllYCA1wwxv6P-sRljZRrJ

• Like 2

On 2016-09-09 at 0:37 AM, Trichakra said:

Love is just brain chemicals, comrade. It gets created and destroyed all the time.

• Like 2