Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's wrong with Australia?

Deleted

What went wrong with Australia ? Simple, the baby boomers took the reins of power. Worst generation in history, I should know, I'm one !

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Astra. said:

So it seems.....what's this hellwyr...diss-out Australia day or something ?...[...]

Australophobia, me thinks...

:rolleyes:

• Like 4

If you are from the U.S your country randomly gets dissed on all the time lol

Welcome to our world Australians. It normally makes as little sense as this thread does.

• Like 7

Well, to be fair, hellwyr routinely berates Britain along with America. Targetting Australia now is just a matter of equality :rolleyes:

• Like 9

Those are facts and it has nothing to do with dissing. I had a certain image of Australia, but it looks as though this image was wrong.

And by all means those "incidents" aren't normal.

11 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

Well, to be fair, hellwyr routinely berates Britain along with America. Targetting Australia now is just a matter of equality :rolleyes:

Not Britain, only England.

Not USA, but right wing Trump worshipers.

Edit: That being said, it has nothing to do with the country. No matter where such horrible and disgusting incidents happen it always leads to the asking of certain questions about that country's society.

And the point was that I didn't expect Australia to provide the world with such news (compared to SA for example, I expect to hear bad news coming from A so I won't open up a thread about her)

Edited by hellwyr

11 minutes ago, hellwyr said:

Not Britain, only England.

Ahh yes, sorry my mistake. You only make your generalizations against approximately 55 million people, rather than 65 million.

This post is a prime example of how you work though. You jump onboard social issues, link it to an entire nation, often make it "black and white" or "good versus evil" before you inevitably Godwin us all with a Hitler analogy.

Ironically, you seem to do the exact opposite when it comes to threads on Islamic extremism, etc.

I don't think I've pulled out my profile quote before, but it seems apt in this case...

All generalizations are false, including this one.

Mark Twain

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, hellwyr said:

No matter where such horrible and disgusting incidents happen it always leads to the asking of certain questions about that country's society.

What an ignorant and narrow minded little person you are. You cannot blame a 'whole society' for criminal activity and the despicable behaviour of what others do. These things have come to light - and they will now be dealt with in accordance to the law. Also the government bodies will also take action where need be.

So stop with the bloody grand-standing - pot stirring - and judgement of my country.....and worry about your own backyard.

• Like 6

Well I didn't blame the society I only implied that such incidents lead to certain questions. Those incidents were systematically, so it just logical to ask whether there are connections to the society or not. I am aware that an investigation is being conducted and I look forward to seeing what they will present.  And as far as I know asking questions is the right thing to do at least in a healthy society.

Also, apparently you take it personally when someone posts things about your country (even though these articles only state facts O.o)  Instead of being shocked that something like this can happen in your country you feel personally attacked. Since I lack any patriotism for any country your reaction is not understandable from my point of view.

Anyway I didn't mean to offend you. I am just shocked by these incidents and when something like this happens where I live, I, in fact, do analyze if it has something to do with the society.

Edited by hellwyr

29 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

Ahh yes, sorry my mistake. You only make your generalizations against approximately 55 million people, rather than 65 million.

This post is a prime example of how you work though. You jump onboard social issues, link it to an entire nation, often make it "black and white" or "good versus evil" before you inevitably Godwin us all with a Hitler analogy.

Ironically, you seem to do the exact opposite when it comes to threads on Islamic extremism, etc.

I don't think I've pulled out my profile quote before, but it seems apt in this case...

All generalizations are false, including this one.

Mark Twain

Also I didn't attack the English. I attacked Brexit voters and in another thread I pointed out that the English history is nothing to be proud of. Apparently it is not me who can't differentiate and who generalizes. It is not my fault if you believe that very English person thinks like a Brexit voter or if you think that every person in England is proud of the English history.

14 minutes ago, hellwyr said:

[...] Since I lack any patriotism for any country your reaction is not understandable from my point of view.

[...]

Citizen of the Universe, I guess (nothing wrong with that, BTW). Let me ask you: if your country will be attacked, will you defend it, or will you flee?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Citizen of the Universe, I guess (nothing wrong with that, BTW). Let me ask you: if your country will be attacked, will you defend it, or will you flee?

It depends I would defend the people I love, which means I would try to get them to flee with me (or depending on the situation stay with them). I don't believe there is any war which is worth fighting at least nowadays. And in the case a war really broke out these days. Then, believe me, it wouldn't make a difference whether I participate or not ( - biological, chemical , mass destruction weapons...fighting in such a war would just be suicide. )

9 minutes ago, hellwyr said:

It depends I would defend the people I love, which means I would try to get them to flee with me (or depending on the situation stay with them). I don't believe there is any war which is worth fighting at least nowadays. And in the case a war really broke out these days. Then, believe me, it wouldn't make a difference whether I participate or not ( - biological, chemical , mass destruction weapons...fighting in such a war would just be suicide. )

Well then, majority of "you" would have caused surrender back in 1940s...

Nice to know.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Well then, majority of "you" would have caused surrender back in 1940s...

Nice to know.

maybe, who knows. However, majority of me would also have fought against fascists (- defend people you love). If the nation, which attacks would behave the same as the previous one, I wouldn't mind. If the nation is even better then I would not just surrender, but welcoem them :D

5 minutes ago, hellwyr said:

maybe, who knows. However, majority of me would also have fought against fascists (- defend people you love). If the nation, which attacks would behave the same as the previous one, I wouldn't mind. If the nation is even better then I would not just surrender, but welcoem them :D

Ah, OK.

But with "welcome" you should be more careful. More than million in USSR welcomed germans, cause bolsheviks appeared way worse than teutons at the moment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hellwyr said:

Also I didn't attack the English. I attacked Brexit voters and in another thread I pointed out that the English history is nothing to be proud of. Apparently it is not me who can't differentiate and who generalizes. It is not my fault if you believe that very English person thinks like a Brexit voter or if you think that every person in England is proud of the English history.

Just all "Brexit voters" that are worthy of your generalizations then?

We're down to around 17.5 million now. Let's see how much further you have to go before your stereotypes hit the mark.

Maybe in a couple of months we'll be down a handful of skinheads in Millwall, and a particularly vicsious pet cat named Mr. Tiddles-Goebbels, who's current whereabouts is unknown.

Incidentally, every nation on this planet, especially those that have existed for millennia have both things to be proud of, and things not to be proud of. Maybe if you actually listed your location, we could pick apart your own "home"?

Or if you are indeed a "citizen of the universe" then I guess you're answerable for every nation, as I assume you are part of the human race?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hellwyr said:

Well I didn't blame the society I only implied that such incidents lead to certain questions. Those incidents were systematically, so it just logical to ask whether there are connections to the society or not.

Hmm.. just working out how to answer this one..

right I grew up in the years of the white Australia policy.. there was large mistreatment of the indigenous.. heck and of the refugee's we had come over after the 2nd world war.. you would name someone where they came from.. eg.. spick.. wog.. dago.. coon.. boong.. slant.. slope.. pom.. yank.. sheep shagger (for our NZ cousins.. though we still do use that one quite often.. generally when the rugby and cricket is on..) so on and so forth..

nowdays it is a rare to hear terms like that in every day Australia.. My best mates growing up were a mix of all of them.. you will probably here it now and then and that's generally from a couple of mates taking the micky out of each other.. Or some drunk idiot having a racist slant.. sad to say it still happens here..

Now the army is not the only one who has this problem.. so does the navy and reported cases in the airforce as well.. again.. this does crop up every year or so.. its a changing culture within..

There is a large moment in Australia.. the Getup movement.. they take on social issues and really push it.. quite a successful movement really..

Remember we are still a young country.. hell we are only starting to recognize that the settlement of Australia was really a invasion.. We have only just elected our first female aboriginal politician.. and I mean just.. (a few weeks ago) ..

We are a bit behind our neighbours in some regards.. but way ahead in others.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, DingoLingo said:

Pfft it looks like your quoting my high school years..

One have to imagine your kindergarten... brrrrr...

• Like 1

Just now, bmk1245 said:

One have to imagine your kindergarten... brrrrr...

heh I grew up in the low to medium social economic demographic area.. so high school was a bit rough.. and we still had the cane in those days.. some teachers would get just a little carried away with it..

• Like 2

Just now, DingoLingo said:

heh I grew up in the low to medium social economic demographic area.. so high school was a bit rough.. and we still had the cane in those days.. some teachers would get just a little carried away with it..

Yeah, right...

(sorry for a pun)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DingoLingo said:

:blink:

So? I grew up below your "medium social economic demographic area". So what?

49 minutes ago, DingoLingo said:

Hmm.. just working out how to answer this one..

right I grew up in the years of the white Australia policy.. there was large mistreatment of the indigenous.. heck and of the refugee's we had come over after the 2nd world war.. you would name someone where they came from.. eg.. spick.. wog.. dago.. coon.. boong.. slant.. slope.. pom.. yank.. sheep shagger (for our NZ cousins.. though we still do use that one quite often.. generally when the rugby and cricket is on..) so on and so forth..

nowdays it is a rare to hear terms like that in every day Australia.. My best mates growing up were a mix of all of them.. you will probably here it now and then and that's generally from a couple of mates taking the micky out of each other.. Or some drunk idiot having a racist slant.. sad to say it still happens here..

Now the army is not the only one who has this problem.. so does the navy and reported cases in the airforce as well.. again.. this does crop up every year or so.. its a changing culture within..

There is a large moment in Australia.. the Getup movement.. they take on social issues and really push it.. quite a successful movement really..

Remember we are still a young country.. hell we are only starting to recognize that the settlement of Australia was really a invasion.. We have only just elected our first female aboriginal politician.. and I mean just.. (a few weeks ago) ..

We are a bit behind our neighbours in some regards.. but way ahead in others.

I liked his speech

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-24/stan-grant's-racism-is-killing-the-australia-dream-speech-viral/7110506

As far as the army is concerned, I am a bit shocked. :/

But it is good to hear that there is an organization fighting for social justice. :)

@LV-426

Actually, I prefer to just call myself  human and not citizen of whatever. That being said, in real life I don't go around and say "I am human" when someone asks me where I come from.  I am a permanent resident of the US.

Edited by hellwyr