Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Internet

Duke Wellington

When I move I am looking into not bothering with cable or a landline as I can watch television using my computer and make calls with my mobile phone.

So I need to find out if 4G wireless dongles can allow my computer to reliability connect to the internet and if they provide enough speed for me to watch tv, download movies and play online computer games. All within a reasonable cost of course as if its excessive its probably just easier getting a cable package with internet included.

I live in the UK.

Edited by RabidMongoose

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grey Area

• Duke Wellington

• White Unicorn

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

When I move I am looking into not bothering with cable or a landline as I can watch television using my computer and make calls with my mobile phone.

So I need to find out if 4G wireless dongles can allow my computer to reliability connect to the internet and if they provide enough speed for me to watch tv, download movies and play online computer games. All within a reasonable cost of course as if its excessive its probably just easier getting a cable package with internet included.

I live in the UK.

Not sure I would choose a 4G mobile connection as my primary source.  As good as it may be, it will never be as reliable and consistent as a cable package.  All depends really what you want it for.  If you are streaming, your data usage will likely be quite heavy, and you will pay a premium for a 4G unlimited package, whereas you can get a relatively cheap unlimited data package through a cable provider.  Added to that, you will have to research which 4G provider have the best connection in your area.

I made the mistake of checking the coverage for Vodafone in my area and took a 4G phone with them based on the map of their coverage.  As it turned out I had such a weak connection I ended up getting rid of it and switching to Virgin.

I am probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but personally I would never sacrifice my cable package for potentially patchy, slower, less secure mobile broadband.

2 hours ago, Grey Area said:

Not sure I would choose a 4G mobile connection as my primary source.  As good as it may be, it will never be as reliable and consistent as a cable package.  All depends really what you want it for.  If you are streaming, your data usage will likely be quite heavy, and you will pay a premium for a 4G unlimited package, whereas you can get a relatively cheap unlimited data package through a cable provider.  Added to that, you will have to research which 4G provider have the best connection in your area.

I made the mistake of checking the coverage for Vodafone in my area and took a 4G phone with them based on the map of their coverage.  As it turned out I had such a weak connection I ended up getting rid of it and switching to Virgin.

I am probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but personally I would never sacrifice my cable package for potentially patchy, slower, less secure mobile broadband.

The issue is I don't watch tv or use a landline. Since I have a PC I watch all my television series over the internet instead and all my calls are done using my mobile phone. So I quite literally only need the internet.

But I do like my online gaming. The rare once in 6 months lag is acceptable (this happens with my current cable anyway) but nothing more than that. Is 4G going to be good enough or do I have to wait for 5G?

On the 4G I have with my phone, which I believe uses the EE network, I wouldn't be happy gaming with it. 

Best advice.  Most services have a cooling off period.  Try out 4G within that period, if you're not satisfied with it, cancel the contract and try something else. 

5 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

The issue is I don't watch tv or use a landline. Since I have a PC I watch all my television series over the internet instead and all my calls are done using my mobile phone. So I quite literally only need the internet.

But I do like my online gaming. The rare once in 6 months lag is acceptable (this happens with my current cable anyway) but nothing more than that. Is 4G going to be good enough or do I have to wait for 5G?

I have 4G for Internet and a local cable for TV. I'm in US with no close enough  blue tooth to connect with. Bluetooth is good and free for alot of G usaged not charged to iPhone but open to others tapping in on you. Download files from bluetooth is option for using less G on phone service network. I tap into a library bluetooth but it's a pain sometimes compared to a computer with internet unlimited access.