Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Orangutan can form vowels like a human

seeder

The great ape that can form vowels like a human: Remarkable ability of 8-year-old orangutan Rocky could shed light on origins of speech

Rocky, an eight year old orangutan was able to copy tone and pitch
    Sounds were different to any known noises made by wild orangutans
    This shows for the first time that animals can learn new sounds  

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3709369/Forget-parrots-ORANGUTANS-talk-Eight-year-old-ape-rock-Rocky-mimic-human-voices.html#ixzz4FejxDgNV

• Like 1

This will most likely link to studies of the FOXP2 gene (the gene required for the development of speech and language). The chimpanzee version of FOXP2 , for example, differs from ours by two amino acids, and scientists think that studying the changes in these amino acids might provide more insight in the evolution of complex language in humans.

This shows for the first time that animals can learn new sounds  

I noticed years ago that cats make different sounds to people than they do to other cats. A try for speech with an unsuitable palate?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PersonFromPorlock said:

I noticed years ago that cats make different sounds to people than they do to other cats. A try for speech with an unsuitable palate?

Apparently adult cats meow as a way of communicating to humans. They do not meow with each other. The meow used most often is the 'demand' (feed me! let me out!) meow. Experts do not think it's a try for speech as much as it's a way of manipulating humans to get what they want. Some have even suggested that cats might be taking advantage of our nurturing nature and how we would respond to a baby's cry. Interestingly, studies have shown the cat’s cry shares a similar frequency. So all those little b*****s are doing is an expert job at enslaving us through vocal trickery.