Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Story of Jesus Christ was a HOAX

seeder

hhhhmmm

Story of Jesus Christ was a HOAX designed to control the people, Biblical scholar claims
THE man and story behind Jesus Christ was a Roman hoax designed to control the people, a scholar has sensationally claimed.

Christianity is a baseless religion that was designed by the Roman empire to justify slavery and pacify the citizens, according to controversial Biblical scholar Joseph Atwill.

In a blog on his website Mr Atwill wrote: "Christianity may be considered a religion, but it was actually developed and used as a system of mind control to produce slaves that believed God decreed their slavery.”

The scholar argues that at the time, Jewish sects in Palestine were awaiting a ‘warrior Messiah’, which became an increasing problem after the Roman Empire failed to deal with the problem with traditional means.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/693817/Jesus-Christ-HOAX-Biblical-christianity-roman-empire

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, seeder said:

hhhhmmm

Nope, Jesus was a crazed Satanic cult leader that used "God" and being "the son of god" as a shield to justify evil and makes his name immortal.

Okay, I'm staying out of this until the dust settles.

• Like 8

Perhaps what we have made of Jesus is the hoax.

• Like 9

Meh I only remember like one line regarding slavery in the bible. For the whole thing being a hoax to support slavery it seems a little low in that content 

• Like 4

Looks like a book targeted at the modern atheist inclination, there's gold in them thar books !

• Like 3

2 hours ago, seeder said:

There is merit in that idea, but it seems a bit inaccurate. It might be more accurate to say that the form of christianity practiced now, that was passed on to the western world via Rome, was a 4th century Roman invention (for various reasons, mostly political it seems). Who knows what it was originally? It seems they struggled to reach an agreement on what christianity was over 16 centuries ago.

• Like 2

Horta...Please trust me on this. Joseph Atwill is a crank that make connections that are not there. He's up there with Acharya S aka D M Murdock in using horrible scholarship.

He credits Flavius Josephus as writing the Gospels which is ridiculous,  though the unknown Gospel writers may have sourced Josephus.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, davros of skaro said:

Horta...Please trust me on this. Joseph Atwill is a crank that make connections that are not there. He's up there with Acharya S aka D M Murdock in using horrible scholarship.

He credits Flavius Josephus as writing the Gospels which is ridiculous,  though the unknown Gospel writers may have sourced Josephus.

Thanks davros and I'll accept your word on Atwill (don't know much about him).

Without wishing to support his specific point, though I still think it's obvious that we got the Romans version of christianity and that it's acceptance and eventual enforcement as state religion, derived ultimately from political motives.

• Like 3

The whole bible/religion story is a hoax, so its actors.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Horta said:

Thanks davros and I'll accept your word on Atwill (don't know much about him).

Thank you. I did not read his book, but watched his documentary.  Long story short I also echo the sentiments of Dr. Robert M Price, and Dr. Richard Carrier on Atwill as well. 

Without wishing to support his specific point, though I still think it's obvious that we got the Romans version of christianity and that it's acceptance and eventual enforcement as state religion, derived ultimately from political motives.

Early Christianity is Jewish with Hellenistic influences, but do not get too caught up on some of the pagan parallels. 

Yes Christianity got a big boost from the Roman empire. From the network of roads to the convenience of monotheism replacing multicultural polytheism. 

If you never watched a lecture by Dr. Richard Carrier? Then this one is a must:

Hoax is entirely the wrong word.  The Jesus story seems to have originated in normal myth-making processes, with no one deliberately lying until much later when a faith was established and pious frauds began happening, to save souls and sometimes for profit (relics).

The earliest of Christian activity we see in Asia Minor in Paul's genuine letters, and they reflect a typical Greek mystery cult where there is a betrayed and killed deity by means of whose sacrifice and blood a believer can have salvation.  The main difference between this and other mystery cults is that the figure adopted coincided with the predicted Jewish Messiah, and it seems Paul himself had been a diaspora Jew (but with Roman citizenship -- a bit of a puzzle).

The biographies were written later as a Jesus on the Earth set of myths began to evolve and to an extent merge, but Paul seems to show no knowledge of this, it could still be that elements of that story were already developing in Paul's time in places outside his ken.

• Like 6

Putting my skepticism regarding this persons credentials as a scholar, I have to say that what stuck out to me was the notion that Christianity was designed as a counter to an angry and aggressive god to get people to accept Roman authority, but gave as an example "turning the other cheek" and "carrying gear for two miles".

That seems odd to me because those two things are actions that were specifically designed as aggressive acts against Roman authority, and a scholar of this subject should know that.  If the Romans specifically designed Christianity as a psychological tool to pacify rebellious Jews, why did they include behavior that was in such opposition to their authority that they ended up having to sacrifice the main character for being a threat to the empire?  That's what you do to create a martyr, not an apologist.

• Like 4

not really new news nor recent ... some even revers the possibility of things being mythic ~

~

8da906b6ce99dffb327e41f3699f72a9.jpg

~

• Like 3

As I said above somewhere, the real hoax is what the organized church has done to Jesus' original message. Of course, we don't know what Jesus' original message was, but I would think it wasn't what the various church's throughout history have interpreted and represented it to be.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

As I said above somewhere, the real hoax is what the organized church has done to Jesus' original message. Of course, we don't know what Jesus' original message was, but I would think it wasn't what the various church's throughout history have interpreted and represented it to be.

There is  a book called the lost gospel of Q the original sayings of Jesus. Q means that source. Taken from scrolls old scrolls during the time period of a historical Jewish Jesus. 

Other old scrolls more recently found revealed what is called the Gnostic Gospels and secret teachings of Jesus.  They include many Kabbalah symbolisms and the arising Christian faith. 

There were thousands of old scrolls found. Old testament commentaries etc of the time frame of Jesus. Clues to the historical teacher rabbi with a new covenant will be found in scrolls written prior and during the Roman influences to a new form of religion used for control.

Their are many scrolls being translated in Israel by scholar rabbies etc that haven't really been released to others for translation. 

Edited by White Unicorn

6 hours ago, third_eye said:

not really new news nor recent ... some even revers the possibility of things being mythic ~

~

8da906b6ce99dffb327e41f3699f72a9.jpg

~

Do you have a proper scholarly citation for that last qoute in the meme? I believe it to be fallacious. 

5 hours ago, White Unicorn said:

There is  a book called the lost gospel of Q the original sayings of Jesus. Q means that source. Taken from scrolls old scrolls during the time period of a historical Jewish Jesus.

Yeah! Riiiiight!

5 hours ago, White Unicorn said:

Other old scrolls more recently found revealed what is called the Gnostic Gospels and secret teachings of Jesus.  They include many Kabbalah symbolisms and the arising Christian faith. 

There were thousands of old scrolls found. Old testament commentaries etc of the time frame of Jesus. Clues to the historical teacher rabbi with a new covenant will be found in scrolls written prior and during the Roman influences to a new form of religion used for control.

Their are many scrolls being translated in Israel by scholar rabbies etc that haven't really been released to others for translation. 

Somewhere over the Rainbow.

A Roman hoax? Possible, I suppose, but seems pretty unlikely. Not that I think that Jesus ever existed, but the religion coming to be as a natural evolution of mythologies and philosophical leaders seems more likely than a roman hoax.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Podo said:

A Roman hoax? Possible, I suppose, but seems pretty unlikely. Not that I think that Jesus ever existed, but the religion coming to be as a natural evolution of mythologies and philosophical leaders seems more likely than a roman hoax.

The evidence points to this when scrutiny is applied.

• Like 3

I prefer a religion which speaks of love and compassion, as opposed to one which, radicalized, speaks of hatred and death.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, pallidin said:

I prefer a religion which speaks of love and compassion, as opposed to one which, radicalized, speaks of hatred and death.

Maybe you should  give the one that boiled for your sins a chance?

11261-a-box-of-raw-spaghetti-isolated-on

• Like 3

1 hour ago, davros of skaro said:

Maybe you should  give the one that boiled for your sins a chance?

11261-a-box-of-raw-spaghetti-isolated-on

Are you an atheist?

2 hours ago, pallidin said:

Are you an atheist?

Yes. 

atheists_o_673298.jpg

• Like 3