Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Most Important Year?

Thanato

In your opinion what was the most important year in the last 150 years? Give a good reason why you think that.

• Like 2

1945, the end of the Second World War because it led to an era of optimism. Something the world needs desperately again.

• Like 3

Difficult question to answer as it not only depends on where a person lives, but also what they deem 'important.' Important to me has to do with the health and well-being of people, so any and all years where significant medical discoveries or advancements were made. And, if ever a cure for cancer is found, that to me would be the year to beat all years. As for the one specific year I think most significant, I would say 2001 - the year of the 9/11 tragedy. The War on Terror and other efforts to halt terrorism were such abysmal failures, 15 years on, the problem has now reached a crisis point. I would also tack on the year the microchip (or whatever it was that started the computer age) was invented. Without it, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

• Like 1

1979: smallpox is declared eradicated worldwide. consider just how many people died from the disease in the past, and how many are now alive thanks to the global effort to eliminate it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, seaturtlehorsesnake said:

1979: smallpox is declared eradicated worldwide. consider just how many people died from the disease in the past, and how many are now alive thanks to the global effort to eliminate it.

The fact that there was a coordinated global effort in itself is also really impressive 

• Like 3

I am personally of the opinion that 1914 is the most important year in the last 150. With out the events of that single year the entire 20th and now 21st centuries would be completely different.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thanato said:

I am personally of the opinion that 1914 is the most important year in the last 150. With out the events of that single year the entire 20th and now 21st centuries would be completely different.

It's amusing (to me, anyway) to be able to narrow it down to 102 years, 1 month and 1 day since that fateful act........and all because someone forgot to inform the Duke's driver of the route change!

• Like 1

all he had to do was not stop there at that spot and the world would of been spared not one but dozens of wars.