Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fighting to keep Women's Lounge at MSU

Goodf3llow

" It's a change that's upset students who say the lounge was a "safe place" free of male hostility"?

What are they attending college in Oxford, as women in 1249....no wait, they would not be allowed to attend college then and there.

• Like 3

" Alyssa Maturen, a sophomore studying marine biology, said the women's lounge was "vital" to her success during her freshman year."

-how they hell did she think she would interact in a mixed gender society if she needed a illegal space dedicated to servicing her needs? Did she think there would be large areas of the world where she could hide from half of all of humanity?

• Like 1

It's one of those instances where one's liberal scruples become, "inconvenient". You can't bar men from gender self-segregation if you allow women the option. Social engineering is all the rage on college campuses these days.

Equality means, in this case, "no segregation". so if you're pro-equality than you're either for no "women's room" or for there being a "men's room" somewhere.

• Like 4

Not the first time when we see that the cries for 'equality' are actually demands for 'special treatment'.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lord Fedorable said:

Equality means, in this case, "no segregation". so if you're pro-equality than you're either for no "women's room" or for there being a "men's room" somewhere.

I'm all for a mens lounge instead of a gender neutral area. Men can appreciate a safe area just as much as women. It's nice for everyone to have a safe place that they feel is theirs, instead of always having open public areas. I think men need it just as much as women do.

And as an aside... if the women on that campus feel so unsafe, perhaps what should be addressed are the issues making them feel unsafe, and resolve those. Having issues so bad that some women feel like they need a safe room to hide in is indicative of a bigger problem that needs attention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rashore said:

I'm all for a mens lounge instead of a gender neutral area. Men can appreciate a safe area just as much as women. It's nice for everyone to have a safe place that they feel is theirs, instead of always having open public areas. I think men need it just as much as women do.

And as an aside... if the women on that campus feel so unsafe, perhaps what should be addressed are the issues making them feel unsafe, and resolve those. Having issues so bad that some women feel like they need a safe room to hide in is indicative of a bigger problem that needs attention.

That assumes that the problem they are hiding from is a legitimate threat. Some dangers are subjective and some people see danger where there is none. If you are being "triggered" by a guy sitting with his legs partially open (representing the patriarchy), maybe your safe space should have padded walls and a door that only locks on the outside...

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

That assumes that the problem they are hiding from is a legitimate threat. Some dangers are subjective and some people see danger where there is none. If you are being "triggered" by a guy sitting with his legs partially open (representing the patriarchy), maybe your safe space should have padded walls and a door that only locks on the outside...

Yes- if it's because it's perceived threats, or actual safety or true harassment issues, or whatever. It should be addressed. Whatever it is, or more likely multiple whatevers since there never seems to be a single reason for these types of issues.. it's what is triggering the feeling of a need for a safe place.

I probably shouldn't have said a "bigger problem" in my original statement. It may or may not be. I should have said "other problems that need attention too" instead.

And just lol with the open leg thing. I'm not laughing it off, because I know the notion and outrage is out there. I just think it's a ludicrous thing to be tripping out about. I sit like that often enough, and sit cross legged a lot too- because it's comfortable. And guys do it for the same reason, only they have more reason there than I do. And that is something totally different than the lewd phallic sprawling that some guys intentionally do at times that can actually be offensive. Gals too, but somehow guys just do it better.

• Like 1

Personally I think the "equality" issue is raised far too often about things which should be a non issue. Why should anyone care if there is a women only, men only, or a transgender only study room? If the space/resources exist to provide such then I don't see an issue. If having that space is taxing resources inordinately then convert the space into mixed usage. But I really don't see how designation of one ordinary study room for use based on gender adversely effects the educational opportunity for those not of that gender. I can understand where a young lady may want an area on campus with fewer unwarranted distractions to focus on studies.

Of course higher education in America(IMHO) seems  to have devolved into an excuse for four years of partying by adults after high school graduation before entering the working world in earnest. 

3 hours ago, Jarocal said:

Personally I think the "equality" issue is raised far too often about things which should be a non issue. Why should anyone care if there is a women only, men only, or a transgender only study room? If the space/resources exist to provide such then I don't see an issue. If having that space is taxing resources inordinately then convert the space into mixed usage. But I really don't see how designation of one ordinary study room for use based on gender adversely effects the educational opportunity for those not of that gender. I can understand where a young lady may want an area on campus with fewer unwarranted distractions to focus on studies.

Of course higher education in America(IMHO) seems  to have devolved into an excuse for four years of partying by adults after high school graduation before entering the working world in earnest. 

The existence of a segregated study space isn't the issue, that there are not other segregated study spaces is. In an equal society, there would be rooms for all the groups to study without distraction - or there should be none.

here in Oz there are rooms set aside for cloistered study, they're soundproofed, lockable etc. all you have to do is book the room (and unlike in my day where you had to do that in person, you can do it online these days) and voila, a study space free of distractions that you control for as long as you've booked it. That equality, anyone can book the rooms and be free from unwanted distractions*

* that said, they were soundproofed and you could easily block the window so no one could see in.... Let's just say there was a lot of biology being studied by pairs in those rooms.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 4:33 PM, Lord Fedorable said:

The existence of a segregated study space isn't the issue, that there are not other segregated study spaces is. In an equal society, there would be rooms for all the groups to study without distraction - or there should be none.

here in Oz there are rooms set aside for cloistered study, they're soundproofed, lockable etc. all you have to do is book the room (and unlike in my day where you had to do that in person, you can do it online these days) and voila, a study space free of distractions that you control for as long as you've booked it. That equality, anyone can book the rooms and be free from unwanted distractions*

* that said, they were soundproofed and you could easily block the window so no one could see in.... Let's just say there was a lot of biology being studied by pairs in those rooms.

We had the same thing in our High School.  It was a sound proofed room, but it had a huge window that people could see in while passing in the hall.  But soon, the easy fix was just to turn the light off in the room, and no one from outside could see in.......Then, suddenly, mixed couples were no longer eligible to book the room because of.....reasons.

29 minutes ago, Sweetpumper said:

As long as their lounge is a kitchen, it's all good.

And is the dress code "be barefoot"?