Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Skydiver, no parachute, to land on a NET?!!!

seeder

'If I wasn't nervous I would be stupid': Skydiver prepares to jump from a plane at 25,000ft WITHOUT a parachute or wingsuit (but he does have a safety net to land in)

Luke Aikins is an elite skydiver, but admits he is nervous
    He dismissed the idea initially after he was approached by filmmakers
    The daredevil will fall at 120mph onto a net the size of a football field
    It will be screened on Fox network show Heaven Sent on Saturday

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3712834/If-wasn-t-nervous-stupid-Skydiver-plans-jump-25-000-feet-WITHOUT-PARACHUTE-greatest-reality-TV-stunt-ever.html#ixzz4Fnh0MbEM

with it being a live TV event.....lets hope he lives....

Edited by seeder
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, seeder said:

with it being a live TV event.....lets hope he lives....

Let's also hope they have a 5 second delay in case of...

0tpMbLW.png?1

• Like 6

If he misses he dies. If he wears a parachute as a last resort, he is wise. He needs to understand, he is used to jumping with a chute and being able "find his mark" aerodynamically speaking. Taking the chute off will affect his aerodynamics, and potentially killing him.

• Like 5

I hope he doesn't do this.  So not worth it.  :(

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Clair said:

Let's also hope they have a 5 second delay in case of...

0tpMbLW.png?1

Yes, there is broadcast delay in the event of death.

• Like 2

Just now, pallidin said:

Yes, there is broadcast delay in the event of death.

Yeah I figured, but aw shucks just the same. Not that I'm twisted or anything.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, South Alabam said:

If he misses he dies. If he wears a parachute as a last resort, he is wise. He needs to understand, he is used to jumping with a chute and being able "find his mark" aerodynamically speaking. Taking the chute off will affect his aerodynamics, and potentially killing him.

This will be done without any parachute, wingsuit, or anything other than a standard issue jump suit (clothing and helmet only)

The ONLY thing designed to break his fall is the "target net"

It's ENTIRELY free-fall, using only his body to help correct trajectory. If he misses the target net he will die.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 4

Well..the only real safety mechanism in place is natures own methods for taking care of the irretrievably stupid.

• Like 5

Darwin Award winner.

Harte

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Ryu said:

Well..the only real safety mechanism in place is natures own methods for taking care of the irretrievably stupid.

Yeah, this is nut's...

Wife: "My husband is going to jump out of a plane or whatever, without any parachute, and land on a suspended net"

Daughter/Son: "Really, dad?"

Dad: "I have to do this, else how can I be a real dad?"

Wife/daughter/son: "Oh my God! That's just insane."

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, pallidin said:

Yeah, this is nut's...

Wife: "My husband is going to jump out of a plane or whatever, without any parachute, and land on a suspended net"

Daughter/Son: "Really, dad?"

Dad: "I have to do this, else how can I be a real dad?"

Wife/daughter/son: "Oh my God! That's just insane."

He's actually from a rather famous family of skydivers, sooo ... I don't think that will be his family's response since mom, dad, grandma, grandpa all support him.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BeastieRunner said:

He's actually from a rather famous family of skydivers, sooo ... I don't think that will be his family's response since mom, dad, grandma, grandpa all support him.

So, his entire genetic family is also insane. Ok, well, that makes sense.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 3

I read somewhere that in the vital Battle Of Moscow in 1941, so desperate were the Soviets to get more troops into a vital defensive position, they had to parachute them into the area, but ran out of chutes, and then resorted to having more men jump without chutes, to land on an area with only deep snow drifts to break the fall. Many died without seeing action.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I read somewhere that in the vital Battle Of Moscow in 1941, so desperate were the Soviets to get more troops into a vital defensive position, they had to parachute them into the area, but ran out of chutes, and then resorted to having more men jump without chutes, to land on an area with only deep snow drifts to break the fall. Many died without seeing action.

Yeah, imagine that carrying a heavy pack on one's back (for those soldiers). Ouch...

Edited by pallidin

32 minutes ago, Habitat said:

That's nothing to do with insertion of troops and more human bombs. 

I recall the story was told to Eisenhower by Marshal Zhukov, who allegedly never lost a battle, but killed many more of his own people, than Germans, in keeping that record intact !

• Like 1

Well, there's one thing about skydiving: you're either a professional, or you're stuff on a rock. 

• Like 1

I remember a story from Reader's Digest in the '70's about a pilot who's jet exploded during refueling.  He punched out, fell about 5 miles and survived.  His 'chute deployed automatically but here's the thing - his personal life raft inflated UNDER HIM.  He broke his legs, ankles, an arm and some ribs but he survived and even flew again - non military of course.  It was called "the luckiest guy alive" as I recall.  So many things had to happen PERFECTLY for his survival.  They did.... he was even found in relatively heavy seas.  The guy from the OP - if I was his insurer I'd just chuckle if they tried to make a claim.  It just sounds foolish in the extreme.  What was the point?  And if it's just for the thrill of doing something no one ever did before, what's next?  If I was in combat I'd like to have a dozen just like him - all in FRONT of me :P

• Like 3

So this isn't scripted.... So if this dude misses the net, he's ALLLLL over the place.... They going to show that too?... Sounds like Jeb Corliss. For those who don't know who he is ... Check him out on YouTube ... Oh man he's aweso,e ... The human batman they call him.

• Like 1

He is going to make a lot of money with this,either he or his surviving family will get it. He will have his reasons for doing this

14 hours ago, BeastieRunner said:

He's actually from a rather famous family of skydivers, sooo ...

The mothers give birth standing up and wait for a while afore cutting that cord.

• Like 4

Oh man dude, are you sure you really want to do this? I mean really? Geez... I wish him best of luck and sure we will hear about what happens.