Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cheese discovered in 340-year-old shipwreck

UM-Bot

Yummy. What pairs well with 340 year-old cheese? 1,650 year-old wine?

• Like 1

"I don't know if anyone is going to taste it," said Einarsson.

Give it to Mikey.

• Like 1

Inhaling the fumes would probably be enough.  Talk about aged chedda..... :w00t:

• Like 1

Imagine... they may be able to use the cheese mold to create a new range of cheeses... I am still impressed by the cave cheeses.. http://www.wookey.co.uk/cave-aged-cheese/          and   http://www.cibodeli.com/cheese/sheeps-milk-cheese/pasteurised/pecorino-crotonese-matured-caves

Some Blue Cheese History

Lovers of blue cheese have included Pliny the Elder, Charlemagne and Casanova.

Most of these cheeses were originally produced in caves in their respective areas, where the mold was naturally present. This combined with the unique nutrients that the mold grew on in the caves affected the flavor, texture and blue-green color of the mold in each of these cheeses.  In the beginning, this was most likely discovered by accident when cheeses were stored in the caves, and they developed mold.  Then someone decided to taste the cheese that others might have thought to be ruined, and realized how exquisite the taste had become.

Some blue cheeses, such as Danablue, were developed later as less expensive alternatives to the higher priced Roquefort cheese from France.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/artbluecheese.html

... and this mold is said to have health benefits... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2249568/Could-Roquefort-GOOD-heart-Blue-cheese-anti-inflammatory-properties-guard-cardiovascular-disease.html

Edited by crystal sage
just adding info :)
  • Like 3

It's the 340 year old rule, ..."it's still good!"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

It's the 340 year old rule, ..."it's still good!"

...penicillin is made from mould so maybe it still is good. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leto_loves_melange said:

...penicillin is made from mould so maybe it still is good. 

Cheese mod and bread mold are a wee bit different.  But I doubt I'd sample a 300+ year old sample of either one, ew.

Just now, rashore said:

Cheese mod and bread mold are a wee bit different.  But I doubt I'd sample a 300+ year old sample of either one, ew.

...I'll take your word on it. Either way i wouldn't be game enough to try it either.

I would consider to eat it only after someone else tried first and if there really, really, nothing else to eat...

I remember reading somewhere that the ancient Swedes were the first to make cheese from cockroach milk.

• Like 1

I would have tried it on the spot. The bacteria that makes cheese we use in veggies. I had a batch of peppers on the counter without any other preservation other than lacto fermentation and they were still good after 2 years.

• Like 1

I had some 3 year old mature cheddar a few weeks back and had to eat it in 3 days of opening, that's what you call precision timing.

• Like 1

340 year-old cheese and a bottle of cockroaches milk! A perfect Saturday dinner menu. ;)

Edited by jethrofloyd
  • Like 1