Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Paranormal investigators - how do they work?

Elaien

Are paranormal investigators spirit sensitive? How do they conduct their investigations? If they do find something, can they get rid of it? I'm thinking of seeking one out for some phenomena I've experienced but to be honest I'm very skeptical. 

• Like 1

Hi Elaien, most paranormal investigators are not spirit sensitive, although some might claim to be. Not all work the same, but most use various gadgets like video and audio recorders to try and capture evidence of whatever phenomena might be present. As for getting rid of whatever they find, I doubt it, as most so-called phenomena have a practical explanation. And if that's the case, paranormal investigators would typically not be the people you would consult for a solution.

If you are comfortable doing so, you could list whatever it is you are experiencing and perhaps we can help you come up with an explanation for it. But if you are dead set on having paranormal investigators brought in, you can search to see if any are in your area and give them a call.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2016 at 11:43 AM, Clair said:

Just recalled this thread, so am assuming this is the problem:

Hi Clair, this is the problem, but it's being met with alot of skepticism. Would you have any thoughts on it or advice to offer?

• Like 1

Did you set up the camera as advised?

And here's something to consider as well...

Anyone can claim to be a "Paranormal Investigator" because, importantly, there are no scientifically established criteria for "results"

11 minutes ago, Elaien said:

Hi Clair, this is the problem, but it's being met with alot of skepticism. Would you have any thoughts on it or advice to offer?

I posted my thoughts in that thread as follows:

Elaien it seems to me that some of your earlier experiences might have predisposed you to read something different into an event; something outside the practical It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, because I can understand how a creepy experience might stick. For what it's worth, I don't for a minute believe something's following you. In all likelihood everything you've experienced has a logical explanation. The message on your computer could easily have been the result of a virus or even a hijacking attempt. The tape on your mirror, a twisted practical joke. The rustling bag and broken vase could easily have been caused by a small animal like a rodent. So try not to frighten yourself unnecessarily.

Honestly, it's really hard to come up with any other explanations, especially because I personally do not believe in the paranormal. I would also not waste time with paranormal groups as they may just make things worse for you by coming up with things they think are paranormal, when in fact they are not. And that's just going to make you crazy with worry. Also, as Palladin mentioned, there are no scientifically established criteria, let alone methods, so anything they would come up with should be taken with a grain of salt.

Anyway, I've never tried it but a lot of people swear by smudging (with white sage especially) as burning sage (and other herbs) apparently releases negatively-charged ions which in turn neutralize the positive charge in the air, creating a sense of lightness to the space. Some recommend that this be done every time you move into a new home, and on an ongoing basis as necessary. It might be worth your while to try it to see if it makes a difference. The only other suggestion I have is to treat everything as though there was a practical explanation for it. Weird things happen to us all the time, and those who dismiss them as being nothing worth giving a second thought to, often cope better because they keep their imaginations in check. And if one can't do that, it's amazing what the brain can manifest to scare out little selves.

• Like 1